
HotPatterns put a free download here. I grabbed it off the site and started cutting. I'm making mine from a really cool harlequin goatskin that I bought from Kashi about two years ago. It was begging to be made into a bag, but the inspiration was a while in coming. I'm using plain leather that I bought from Leather Suede Skins in NYC for the back. I cut it out yesterday:

I'm debating about what to line it with - Georgene suggested a faille, but I would like to line it with leather, at least at the top where the handle is. I have to buy more leather to do that, though. We'll see. I may run to Fabric Place and see what colors of Pack Cloth they have in stock. If they have a dark brown or a tan, I may use that. Stay tuned...
Happy Sewing!
12 comments:
Can't wait to see how this turns out, Anne! You always have such neat stuff in your stash ...
Just a question: I want to sew leather soles to a pair of slippers I've just finished knitting.
Any special technique in handsewing you would recommend? Should I punch holes in the leather first? (It is a soft kid leather.)
Your advice is most appreciated!!
msplace71@yahoo.com
Ms. Place, I just sent you an email.
Anne, I remember that goat skin! Should be very cool! I made mine from ultra suede and canvas and it was still fairly heavy so you might want to check the weight.
I remember it too! I loved it. Can't wait to see the finished version.
Anne, I was looking at your cut pieces and had a horrible thought. Do you wear your bags on your left or right arm? As cut, you'd have to wear this bag on your left arm for the fur to face out. I'm hoping that you figured that or am I just being an annoying Nelly.
Never annoying, Lisette! I do wear my bags over my left shoulder, and that was a prime consideration when I was cutting it out. Having a bag on my right drives me batty, and I'm a righty. I always carry groceries and kids in my left arm.
Whoa! I have mine cut out, but it looks smaller than yours. Thinking my PDF was shrunk when printed. Going to check dimensions... have fun making it. Your skins are fab.
Ann, the leather and goatskin you will use for this HP bag looks fabulous. I am looking forward to see your finished version of the “La Rue bag”.Enjoy making this bag.
This is looking good! Can't wait to see the end result.
Hello! I think your La Rue bags are amazing and I couldn't retrieve the pattern from the link you shared (I know it is too late), but I was wondering if you still have it? I have the one from Amazon, but always wanted to sew one myself...
Thank you!!!! And your blog is trully amazing as are your creations!
That rich taffy color of the leather is so sensuous. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.
Post a Comment