Kwik Sew
I'm not a huge fan of Kwik Sew. They're okay, but I find the designs to be kind of 'meh'. But this dress, 3472:
struck me as a winner. It's a classic style that you will have for years. I would make it from a lightweight wool jersey or even better, silk jersey. They recommend matte jersey for it, and while I really like matte jersey for some things, I think the weight of the skirt would pull the whole thing down without a lot of internal structure. And that would defeat the purpose.This pattern, 3474:


looks really, really boring in the drawing. But the picture of the blouse on the model is compelling. I would definitely Laura-Bennett this up, using a stretch silk in black for the body of the blouse and a white silk gazar or faille for the ruffled collar. I haven't seen the pattern yet, so I can't say for sure, but judging from these pictures, I might also make the ruffle more dense to really play it up.
3463:
Aaaauuuugggghhhhh! Bad Pat Benatar flashback!Seriously, I considered leggings for about, oh, one minute. Then November came to Boston, and any thought of leaving my ankles facing the elements disappeared like the last fleeting days of Indian Summer. Just say no!
Butterick
Butterick is another pattern company that doesn't really do a lot for me. Though I will admit that they have good basics. This dress, 4914:
is versatile. You can make this from a silk for evening or a jersey for day, and put a jacket over it for work. Yes, it's like something you can find at Macy's. But it's also like something you can find at Neiman Marcus - it depends on your fabrication. Have some fun with it. That's why you sew, isn't it?This pattern, 4920:
has some interesting possibilities. I'm not sure if I like the dress, though I will sleep on it before I make a decision. It's the kind of thing that can grow on me. I do like the top, but I would put sleeves on it and wear it over skinny jeans. This season, they also added some pretty cool vintage patterns. This one, 4918:

Is really lovely. They recommend shantung, taffeta and satin. I would add silk gazar, or even a double layered skirt with something with good body underneath and chiffon or silk tulle on top. Think Christian Dior's New Look:

I recommend making an inner corselet to hold it up, otherwise it will too easily slide down and you'll be doing the pull-up every time you move or dance. Kenneth King's Birth of a Bustier and Susan Khalje's Bridal Couture both have excellent instructions.
I am really drawn to this pattern, 4819:

But I have to ask - is it me, or does the illustration look like the model is checking for, um, well, let's be blunt, body odor? Anyone here ever see "A Fish Called Wanda"? Remember how Otto would always smell his armpit before attempting to kill someone? Yah, that's what I mean.
Well, that's what I think for the evening. It's time to call it a weekend and watch "Dr. Who" with the kids.
Happy sewing!
8 comments:
Ann, you are SO right about the pit-sniffing observation. For some reason it's also endemic to bridal fasion mags!
As usual, I agree with the pattern reviews! I really like the last Maggy London dress I made, the long sleeve is perfect for school. I must have the Retro ones, too. I do love the halter and will definitely make that one, however you won't find me striking the pit-sniffing pose.
I really like the Butterick pattern. I've been in search of cute tops. Like you, I would add the sleeves.
It's definitely a pit-sniffing pose, although I don't think that's really what the artist was going for!!
I appreciate your views on patterns. What interests me is your recommendations for fabric. You of course have such great access to fabric. Very interesting and helpful information about fabric for me. Thanks!
Interesting that I stopped by Hancock's last Friday and purchased that Kwik Sew you wrote about. I agree that it will be a great basic. Always enjoy your reviews!
The thing I l-o-v-e about the retro, halter dress is that it's not actually a halter. At least not if it is the dress I'm thinking of.
I bought the Butterick 4919 a few days ago and some blue/black/silver taffeta plaid. I love that it's not a halter. I suspect I'll need to sew in some lassos for the bra straps to keep them from showing.
Post a Comment