Wednesday, February 07, 2007

There is Only One Thing More Annoying...

... than a Border Collie who is demanding to be walked NOW!
(Don't let the prone posture fool you. He stays perfectly still, but the eyes follow you everywhere, and periodically he'll whine at you about how slowly you are moving.)

And that is a dull rotary cutter blade. Grrrr!

Last night I started cutting out my next incarnation of the HotPatterns Tango Blouse, this one in heavy red silk crepe. When I felt that telltale bump in my hand as I cut the collar pieces. Sure enough, there's a spot on the blade that is terribly dull. You can't see it, but boy, when you try to cut through fabric, you feel it! I know I didn't run over any pins in my last project (the triple-secret project), but I must have just worn it down. That's the problem with rotary cutters. I dearly love mine. I use it for 95% of the cutting that I do, and the rest goes to my Kai shears. But when you hit a pin, or when the blade gets dull from normal use, fugghedaboutit. And those little sharpeners they sell in sewing stores? Pfeh! They don't do squat, I don't care what anyone says.

The bummer is that I have been holed-up in my sewing room, trying to see how long I could continue to sew cool stuff without having to set foot into the frozen tundra that is Massachusetts this week. Oh well, I have to go out to see a friend who's visiting from Sydney at lunch, so I'll just stop by JoAnn and pick up a 5 pack on my way home.

Happy sewing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I braved the tundra that is LI to buy a 5 pack at JoAnns and I even had a 50 off coupon. Did they have them? No. Never when I have a coupon do they have it in stock! Hope you had better luck.

Anonymous said...

Y'know Ann, one of the many, many reasons I love to read your blog is that you can come up with a written word for the ever-so-expressive "pfeh" and (my personal favourite) "meh" noises which say so much. Hope you got the blades!

Judy Williment