I'm compiling the tips I've put on other sites here for ease of searching. This is one that I use all the time, especially in home dec applications. My students just love it:
When gathering fabric, rather than using the "double row of long stitches" approach that most patterns and books recommend, I sew over dental floss ( preferably unwaxed) with a very wide zigzag stitch, making sure to center the floss between the stitches. I set the width of the zigzag to 5.5-6 mm and the stitch length to 2.5-3 mm. Once the dental floss is in place, it's a snap to gather very quickly, and it is very easy to control the fullness of the gathers. I use this technique all the time for home-dec, but it is equally useful for fashion sewing, especially if you are attatching ruffles. I also find that it saves wear and tear on the fabric, because you don't have to manipulate the gathers with as much force.
Makes me kick myself for buying that Pfaff ruffler!
4 days ago
9 comments:
This is my favorite gathering method. I like to use size 10 crochet cotton to zigzag over. After making the gathered seam, I remove the cotton thread to reduce bulk.
Great tip!!! I have not tried it but I sure will!!!
This is my favorite method of gathering large pieces of fabric, too...but I can no longer find unwaxed dental floss! Even my dentist doesn't know anyone who carries it any more. I tried the dental tape...um, didn't like that one. I'm about to just use rayon crochet thread, but the dental floss would sure be a lot easier on the budget.
do you have a source for unwaxed floss? :)
Bonk! I had forgotten all about this technique and just did the double row thingie on two full gagther cap and wrist sleeves (double bonk) And chagrin!
Thanks for the great tip, Ann! Very useful.
Do you tie the dental floss to the thread at one end to fix it in place, or just leave it loose? How to you keep the gathers from sliding out of place?
Good question! I put a pin in the seam next to where the gathering starts, perpendicular to the seamline, and then I wrap the end of the dental floss around that in a figure 8 pattern 3-4 times. Then I pull the floss from the other end until I have the result I want. Then I place a pin at the end and anchor the floss around that pin the same way. Does that make sense?
Yippee!! That sounds like fun!
I never thought about using dental floss. I usually use buttonhole twist for the same method. I have also used a double strand of regular thread twisted together. Love your website BTW
Post a Comment