Monday, April 09, 2007

Sewing Tip: Masking Tape for Marking Fabrics

I've published tips at some other sites, but I thought it might be nice to have them here, too. Search by category "Tips" to find them. This one is very handy for working with fuzzy fabrics:

I've always been a big fan of using WhiteOut to mark notches and pattern markings onto Polar Fleece. But the WhiteOut gets gunked up easily with fibres, and it dries out quickly once the fibres get in the bottle. So when cutting a sweater knit earlier today, I had an Aha! moment. Cut small notches out of masking tape and use those to mark the knit. I keep the notches small enough that they don't cross the seamline. It's precise, it stays, and it comes off easily. You can also use painter's tape, which is even easier to remove.

Hope this helps. Happy sewing!

No comments: