
Adrianne, Robin (I hope I spelled those right - if not, let me know and I'll change it) and I met up at G Street in Rockville, MD on Saturday morning and spent a fun couple of hours shopping for fabric and chatting. We spent a lot of time looking for fabrics to go with their SWAP fabrics. Adrienne was looking for a fabric to match up with the Yew Leaf fabric she had bought from me, and to match up with a jacket pattern that has contrasting collar and cuffs. I suggested silk duppioni for a fun contrast against the stretch cotton, and she found a beautiful dark teal duppioni in the home dec department. Then she also found a bee-yoo-tee-ful printed silk on the silk platform.
Robin spent a lot of time having fun with the machines, and I took advantage of that to pick her out a gorgeous printed silk charmeuse in shades of taupe and red. For me, I bought that stunning black and white Armani you see in the picture behind us, and a beautiful Donna Karan wool novelty knit that Esther, the staffer who was working with us, picked out for me.
Which brings me to a tangential point here. The staff at G Street is simply phenomenal. Robyn and Adrianne know all the folks there, it seems, and they were introducing me. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly, without being pushy. They all know their fabrics. And the fabrics there are to. die. for! I have heard (not recently) complaints about how expensive G Street is. I will say this. You get top quality for your money. I think I can honestly say that I know fabrics, and they have great fabrics. So next time you are in the DC area, do be sure to stop by G Street. I could have spent all day there with my new friends if I hadn't previous commitments. But next time I'm in town, you can be sure I'll be back at G Street.
Happy sewing!
10 comments:
Oh, Ann, I am so envious!
Oh Ann, I am SO glad you got that striking black and white print behind you. I can't wait to see what you create from it.
Yes, G Street is expensive, but they have 25% off sales every few months and a pretty abundent remnant table. I am not affiliated with them, just a happy customer.
So nice to meet you & Adrienne!
Glad you had fun and thanks for introducing Adrienne and Robin!Yes, to my shame, I was staring at the black and white fabric behind you, too!
Ann
I have been a long time reader of your blog and simply love it! I had to comment on your G-Street adventure... I actually worked at the WONDERFUL old G-Street store when it was on G Street downtown (working my way through college many moons ago)! The store and Mr Greenzaid were a treasures then and are now! We ALL have to continue to patronize these grand ole stores else they will go the same route as our beloved independent bookstores! So let's all keep stitching and teaching the next generation of sewists!!! Thanks again for the blog!
Laura Lee
http://capital-sew-and-sew.blogspot.com/
I have a few trips per year to the DC area for work and I will either stop there on the way from the airport to my hotel or quickly check in and then zoom over there, even before I eat dinner! They do have some really wonderful fabrics. Quite a few of my favorite garments have been made with their fabrics and some came off the bargain table.
G Street is always a treat, but it's never been more fun than when meeting the amazing Ann and Robin. Ann, you have such such a fabulous way of instantly recognizing gorgeous possibilities! And Robin is right--you will look amazing in that black and white print. Robin, I hope we'll get together soon for a morning at G Street after coffee next door. Pure fun!
Adrianne
That black and white fabric is gorgeous and so well displayed on the dressmodel.
I love love love G St much to my husbands chagrin. I'm currently taking a pattern drafting class there and have taken many of their wonderful sewing classes. Funnily enough, my office downtown is in the building that the original G St store was in back in the day. The whole neighborhood is totally different now. I love it! G St is my life - I live on G St SW, work on G St NW and take classes at G St Fabrics! :)
Interesting how sooo many of us were panting over that black/white fabric! Must be all of our good taste! Looks like G Street is on my list of "cities with great fabric stores to visit"!
I took a few classes at GStreet back in the day...boy that has been a long day now! :) I remember after my first trip there I wanted to be buried under the wool crepe aisles when I died...that's how fantastic the fabric is there! Robin and Adrienne, I am SURE that you had a wonderful time with the amazing Miss Anne! Glad the three of you got together!
Post a Comment