
Pattern Description: Wardrobe includes flat front pants or shorts with faced waistband and side zip; long-sleeved blouse with mandarin collar, tucks at neckline and sleeve detail; vest in two lengths. This time I made the tunic blouse.
Sizing: 4-20
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.
How were the instructions? They were just fine. This pattern is very, very well drafted.
Fabric Used: As I mentioned when I reviewed the pants last week, I'm making a concerted effort at stash reduction. This fabric is a heavenly French cotton batiste that I bought last year. It is so soft, it feels like silk.
Any alterations or changes? I did an FBA for a princess line top. Other than that, I didn't need to make any changes. I should note, however, that the upper sleeve is pretty closely fitted. I made a size 12, and I didn't have any problem, but if you have full upper arms, you might want to check the pattern's measurements against yours.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it? I am not sure if I'll make this again. It's a little off my norm. I do recommend it, but I have to throw in a caveat. This is an "Easy Chic" pattern. While it's not that difficult, it requires precision sewing, especially on the tucks. It also really, really (really really!) requires thorough pressing at all stages of construction or you risk ending up with a hot mess.
Here's a closeup of the tucks:

So I would recommend this for advanced beginner or beyond. I'm going to make the vest too. Style-wise, I think this top needs something over it like the vest or a belt to keep it from looking matronly. On the plus side, the tucks give good camouflage to the lower torso without making you look pregnant.
Conclusion Another winner from this pattern. Definitely an easy, well drafted pattern that gives great results. Here's a picture of the finished top:

Happy sewing!
14 comments:
This is a cute top and cute fabric. A vest would be cute over the top, great suggestion.
Easy Chic? How about VERY chic! Great fabric choice and of course thorough attention to the details.
After seeing this on your blog the first time I made a mental note to pick up this pattern. I love the vest and the pants, but will pair it with another top. My mom picked this up for me today! Yours looks great!!!
Wow! I have this fabric...was going to make a summery top with it and since it didn't make it into this year's rotation was going to hope that it made next year's. Now I will definitely have to use it since you've made an absolutely adorable top!
It looks fantastic, especially in that fabric!
Ohmigosh. I would never know this would be soooo pretty. How did you stop yourself from using that fabric the moment it came home with you? I think I'm sold on this pattern. Your pants and this top are a winner and I'm very interested in the shorts and vest. Wow. Great work as always.
Beautiful! You used just the right kind of fabric to make it look simply chic instead of "easy chic".
Beautiful work!
This is lovely.
The fabric and pattern were made for each other. I love how this top turned out.
Elegant and 'easy to wear' - a wonderful shirt.
What a wonderful tunic - the fabric is heavenly! I love this sort of tunic over a swimsuit.
What a fabulous choice of fabric for your Tunic... it came out great.
Lovely. Thanks for pointing out the tucks though, that might make it too hard for me, though I love that pattern! All the pieces!
Post a Comment