Saturday, November 10, 2007

Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should

Earlier this year, I was asked by a pattern company if I would be interested in designing a line of patterns for them. Almost before they finished asking the question, I said, 'No.' Now, my darling Emmett took me to task for this. His reasoning was that I have a good sense of style, I understand construction, and I teach, so I can cover the technical aspects. He also reasoned that I should assess it as a styling job as much as a design job. That's an interesting take, but I'm sticking to my guns on this.

Here's my reason. I'm an oustanding sewist. I'm an excellent teacher. I know color theory and I understand design lines and proportion. I'm the second most stylin' woman I know (Wouldn't you all like to know who's first? Keep guessing; I'm not saying. I will tell you it's not some Hollywood type; it's someone on the right). However, I don't have design chops. And if I'm going to put my name on something, it's got to be really outstanding. I would not want to disappoint anyone, least of all myself. And given the zeitgeist on the internet lately, I wouldn't want to be the target of people saying about my designs, "What on God's Green Earth was she thinking?" It happens, and I don't like to see it happen to good people.

So, for the time being at least, nope. Not doing it. I reserve the right to change my mind. If I come up with some spectacular design? Sure, I may take that pattern company up on the offer. But for now, I'll stick to what I do best.

Happy sewing!

7 comments:

Erica Bunker said...

Ann,
For those of us looking in, that appeared to be a great opportunity. But, you have to have convictions. If it's not for you right now, then stick to your guns. You left the door open in case you change your mind. However, I think you would have been great and given the pattern companies the jolt that they need.

Anonymous said...

In the words of the late, great "you can't please everybody, so you have to please yourself". Do it
if/when you are ready. I'm sure,however, your line would be just gorgeous!

Maureen

Anonymous said...

Your post title is my personal motto! I respect your decision. Also, just like what I tell people who tell me I should make things to sell, "It would take the fun out of it. This is my hobby." (Although that may not completely apply to you since you do have a fabric store...)

Though if you do change your mind, I'll buy your patterns!

PS I suppose this answers the question of whether you'd try out for Project Runway!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the opportunity! I completely respect your decision (although I would have definitely tried your patterns).

Brooke said...

I am willing to bet your number one stylin' is Erica B. Cause she is FIERCE! :-)

Anonymous said...

I like the title of this post. I should remember it more often. Like "just because I can squeeze into those pants doesn't mean I should" wear them in public.

Anonymous said...

I too respect your decision and am glad you blogged about it. Some time ago I wondered if you and Laura Bennett would collaborate on a pattern line. That would be fun to see!
Miriam