That is a truism whether you sew or not. There's a great quote from the movie "The Devil Wears Prada". Stanley Tucci advises Anne Hathaway, "Always keep the girls pointing forward." That sounds simple enough, but the reality is that many, maybe even most of us don't adhere to that. And it's not our fault. We haven't been measured properly.
I'll use myself as an example. Last year, I went to a chain lingerie store, I'll call it Valerie's, to buy some bras. The sales clerks in the store all dutifully carry their measuring tapes. I had not been measured for a while, so I asked for a fitting measurement. She whipped the tape measure around me and declared "36 D".
Now, I am busty, but I have always been somewhere in the 34C-D range. I was a little startled that I had (in my mind) gained that much weight and size since 2006. But I figured she knew what she was doing, so I bought several bras. After wearing them for a time, I noticed that my clothing didn't fit as well as I thought it should. At that same time, I was making a lot of knit tops and dresses to showcase Gorgeous Fabrics (and me, of course). Since knits are much more forgiving, I ignored the problem. Then I made a fitted jacket, and noticed the problem right away. I even received an email from a friend about it. This friend is someone whose judgment and advice on fit are always spot on. She is truly an expert. She had seen a picture of me in the jacket, and she commented that the girls seemed to be headed south of the equator (the equator being the bust point on the pattern). In making the jacket, I had used all of my standard alterations. They had worked just fine on the prior garments I had made. I started wracking my brain. Is it advanced age and gravity? Did I gain a whole lot of weight all of a sudden? What had changed?
I took a full set of measurements. Waist, and hip were the same. Bust was slightly larger. Maybe I should be glad that, if I am gaining weight, I'm only gaining there? Then came the most telling measurement: the shoulder to bust point. On most days in the past, that measurement for me is about 11 inches. This time? 12 inches. A full inch below where I was expecting it. If your bust point, or the fullest part of your bust, is above or below the bust point of the pattern, you'll get all sorts of distortion. That was happening here, and Els spotted it right away. I began to suspect the new bras I had purchased. Sure enough, when I put on one of my old bras (I like French manufacturers. This was a Lise Charmel), sproing! Right back where they belonged, 11 inches (actually 11 1/8 inches, but the bra was old, ya know?).
To test my theory, I went to another lingerie store. This one is known in the Boston area as being THE PLACE to get fitted for a bra. They have the reputation for taking 10 years and 10 lbs. off any figure, and the women who work there are no nonsense about the types of bras that work for various figures. I asked the manager to fit me. She quickly but carefully measured me and pronounced, "You're a snug 34C." I told her about my last measurement. She cast a gimlet eye in my direction and said, "Honey, if you wear a 36D, your bra band and boobs will be sitting at your waist. That's just too big." She then proceeded to pick out several bras for different needs ("This maker is good for when you want them to look really perky. This one is great for under tee shirts. You don't want padding, honey, trust me. You don't need it and it will just make you look fat.")
One hour, four bras and matching panties later, I really did look younger and thinner. The moral of the story is, get yourself to a good bra fitter, and get properly fitted. You'll stand straighter, look younger, and your clothes will fit better.
Happy sewing!
1 day ago
24 comments:
Ok, so...I need to come to Boston to get fitted for a bra... ;)
I don't even know if there's anyplace round locally that does true bra fitting. 'Valeries',yeah, but I really don't want to go there... ;)
Good post! I totally agree! I wish we had a store that is good as your place - I could use some suggestions on what brands look good for what occasion!
In DC the place to go is Coupe de Foudre on E and 12th NW (across from the E St theatre). Pricey but amazing lingerie. I was just strolling by there yesterday evening with my husband and hinting loudly about valentines day!
I remember that jacket Ann.
Glad to know that you were now measured correctly ,and have some new better fitting bras.Thanks for your flattering words.
Happy sewing.
At "Valerie's" aka Victoria's Secret. If you still have your receipt (regardless of how long you have had it) they will take it back. That's what the manager at my local one said. I took one back that just didn't work, after wearing it several times.
Ok, my mom lives in the Boston area and I can make the trip up from CT. Where is this wonderful lingerie store?
Okay, Sandy outed me. I wasn't going to name names. I'm not indicting Vic's Secret, just pointing out that you need a good bra fitter. The Boston area store is Lady Grace. I go to the flagship store in Woburn, MA, but there are several around the area, and they are all great at fitting. They train their fitters really well and always have. NAYY.
For those who don't have lingerie specialty stores with good fitters, here's my advice. Keep an eye on the papers or call your local department store and find out when they are having a bra fitting expert in. Macy's has fitters from Wacoal and Perlina come to their stores a couple of times per year. These folks are trained by the bra company to fit customers. They are a good place to get fitted too.
Another comment about "Valerie's". I have a long-standing suspicion about vanity sizing at "Valerie's". They can convince an A-cup that's she's a B, a B-cup that she's a C, etc. Since I've always been more endowed than I wanted to be, it's taken me a while to realize that some people want to see D on their bra tag as much as I want to see Size 6 on my jeans - whether it's true or not. I do not trust Valerie, nor do I trust those skinny college kids who arm themselves with tapemeasures and get a part time job there. -Karla
I just had a professional bra fitting a couple weeks ago and found out I have been wearing the wrong size since....well forever. My size doesn't even exist in regular stores (thought I was a 38DD....turns out I am a 32G!).
I have been so much happier with every item of clothing I own--ready made and sewn--since the underpinnings put everything where it should be!! Not to mention how much more COMFORTABLE wearing a bra is now that I am in the right size.
Ooh,
This is really great advice Ann! Thanks for sharing and giving us the scoop. I will definitely follow your lead after I have finished my weight loss journey.
I am convinced that the mall lingerie stores sell very pretty, sexy bras that just are not functional for people who are, umm, endowed (?). I finally broke down and bought a Wacoal at Macy's, and it is 10X's better than anything I've owned. It lifts my girls and makes me feel like a teenager again!
Amen to everything here....from a 36G:)
As an aside, when I found a good bra fitter, my backaches disappeared. The center of balance needs to be in the right place, ya know?:)
Shannon
I so agree. In Virginia Beach VA The Full Cup put me into a 30E -- raised my bust point by almost a full inch. It is especially hard for women with narrow rib cages to get fitted properly. Nordstrom does a good job training its lingerie specialists, too.
SPROINGGGGG - Ah you made me laugh today Ann! But aint't it the truth about the right fit?!
I'll have to keep an eye out for a fitter coming to my local Macy's. I measured myself, so who knows if I'm wearing the right size! And I'm glad to know that it's not just me wondering if Valerie's isn't all that!
I am very careful to wear my best 'lift up the girls bra' when I fit a top or jacket. In a different bra, older or not as good, the clothing just doesn't fit as well. My daughter is a 32 D and a whole lot perkier than I am, but her newer better bras really make a difference in the jacket I am sewing. If you are a large cup size and don't have a specialized shop, Saks Fifth Ave. is a great place to find larger cup sizes.
You are SO right about the bra thing. For 19 years I've been wearing a 36B. Then Debbie Cook said maybe I was a 34C. Sure enough, I tried on the 34C and it was a great fit.
In fact, my new WonderBra's are 34C and my boobs look like 20-year old boobs now. And DH notices things like that big time. In fact, all my new 34C's are looking good.
Ann - thanks so much for the advice about Macy's - we now have one here and the next time I go in, I'm going to stop by the lingerie dept. and ask for when the next fitting people will be in. I have never (sorry to admit it, but it is true) been fitted. So, I'm sure I'm in the wrong size and so on.
Great Post.
Well, I've bought my bras at VS for years now, but we age, bodies change, so maybe it's time to shop around for me. I went there once looking for a particular style in a 38B and the lady (young girl, really) said I wasn't a "normal size". HUH? How rude! She made me feel horrible. But I blew it off because they are young, inexperienced, and poorly trained. I've never been able to return a bra there, however. I was told it has to still have the tags on it. But I still love their Body by Victoria bras.
I'll vouch for that! I went and did the same thing last month. I swear, my new bras put a smile on my face. They actually feel good.
And yep, I was wearing the wrong size, too.
I did what you did about a year ago after wearing the wrong size for over a year or more. When the professional fitter told me the size I should wear I thought she was crazy. NOT! Really would like to try the store in Boston, though.
I just got fitted for a bra at Victoria's Secret and it was super easy. I then purchased my new favorite bra, in the right size! Yeah!
You can read about my experience here: http://mslistologist.com/?p=903
I had the same (good) experience at My Intimacy at Phipps Plaza in Atlanta. It's crazy though - they don't measure you there (at least not my fitter.) You strip from the waist up, she takes one look and comes back with an amazing (and very pretty/sexy) bra that fits and lifts! I thought I was a 38C and left in a sheer, lacy 36E that is still going strong two years later. I bought 4 or 5 bras that day.
Post a Comment