Sunday, March 16, 2008

Making a Little Progress

Thank God this is a princess line jacket! I am tracing the Marfy onto muslin with 1 inch SAs. I'm going to definitely need a FBA and probably need to lower the bust point an inch or so. But once that is done, I'm going to shorten the jacket (looks too much like a work outfit if I have it come to the hips). I'm going to quilt the jacket and the lining fabric together and make it a la Chanel Haute Couture. I'm debating now. The pattern has a ruffle at the bottom. I could make that of the silk crepe de chine that I'll use for the lining. But I'm not sure if that will look too "too". Here's a picture of the pattern:


Whaddya think? Ruffle or no? The ruffle definitely makes it more playful, but with the dress? Not so sure....

Happy sewing!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay...from where I sit 1000 miles away...I'm concerned (think Tim Gunn tone of voice here, right hand under my chin as I examine the Marfy design)) The ruffle is a playful touch, but I'm afraid making it of your lining fabric, wonderful as it is, might come close to Happy Hands at Home. You're using some vibrant colors, and I think I'd let them speak for themselves. -Karla

Little Hunting Creek said...

As St Tim of Gunn says , with the ruffle, that's a whole lotta look :)
but it IS cute with.. I'd be torn too

Erica Bunker said...

I love the ruffle! I think it really makes the jacket. It creates a very ladylike look.

Anonymous said...

no ruffle it doesn't add anything to the look

BetsyV

Anonymous said...

Not a fan of the ruffle...But then again, I think of that ruffle as another 5 inches onto my hips!!!

Kristen

Anonymous said...

What about silk organza for the ruffle? It'd still be there, adding it's playfulness, but would be "quieter" than crepe de chine. You could cut it on the bias and leave the edge raw for a pretty subtle finish.

Anonymous said...

I'd the ruffle, but make sure there's something at the top as well to balence the design

My two cents :D

Anonymous said...

I'm not wild about the ruffle either. I have been watching this project, and can't wait to see the finished product! b -- Mary OK

Anonymous said...

unless you are 5'9" and 110 pounds, I think that the ruffle will make you look too wide

Cennetta said...

My vote is for the ruffle.

Meg said...

Hmm, I dunno about that ruffle. Could give it that best-outfit-for-church look....

Anonymous said...

I say try it and if you don't like it, remove it. I think it would take it up a notch.

Merry-One

Kira said...

Ann,

I love the ruffle "look" ... but ... how long do you want to wear this?

I suspect the ruffle and length will date your jacket, though I would not even begin to speculate as to how much.

How about making the ruffle(s) removable?

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I vote for the ruffle but from a different fabric than the lining! Clear as mud...*LOL*

I am sure that whichever version you choose will be so totally you and perfect for the occasion!

Anonymous said...

I think the ruffle will look great when the jacket is worn with the original suit, but if you decide to wear the jacket seprtately with jeans the ruffle won't work. But if you're not likely to do that then why not?