
I think it was Gigi who said to me, "Once you get an industrial, you will never want to go back to home sewing machines again." How true! For the past year-plus, I have been jonesing for an industrial serger. Last year I went to my dealer (Reliable Sewing in Stoughton, MA) and looked at a used Brother, but I wasn't ready to buy at that point. This week, I dragged Sewing Diva Phyllis with me to Reliable, needing to get some needles for my DDL8700. While I was there, I asked what they had for sergers. Now, I've had a Juki home serger since 1991. It's a workhorse and I just love it. It's a 4 thread model.
Bill, the chief tech there, showed me a couple of Juki MO 2516s, a 5 thread model. One was new, and one was used and refurbished. I tried the used one. Can I tell you? Wow! This puppy is FAST! And it sews a beautiful seam. I think I surprised Phyllis (I know I surprised myself) when after testing it, I decided to take it. Woo hoo! I brought it home yesterday. It's sitting in the foyer area of the "Great Room". DH is getting a little worried now that I'm putting machines downstairs.

But boy, can this puppy run. I don't have the spec sheet in front of me, but it goes in excess of 5000 stitches per minute. So remember how I said I could, with my industrial straight stitch, make wadders in 1/3 the time? Now it's more like one fifth! It also dims all the lights in the house when I turn it on. I think DH is a little scared of it. That's alright. He has his power saw downstairs (which also dims the lights). So, what to make? What to make? And how many big honkin' cones of thread in each color should I keep on hand? Oh boy, this is going to be fun!
Happy sewing, I know I am!
18 comments:
Congratulations on your new machine!
The mojo is back. Nice machine!
Nice machine. Enjoy. Maybe you want to put in a bigger electrical service. Or at least a separate line for your industrial machines.
Wow, I get scared just looking at this machine. Would love to see you post a video of you sewing on this. I think it might be a gotta-see-it-to-believe it kind of thing.
Yay for you! At our house the lights dim when I turn on the iron, might be a little too risky to go industrial without and electrical upgrade. I'm going to try a straight-stitch tomorrow night. Your post just got me even more excited!
Congrats on your new industrial serger.
Thats fabulous!!! I'm so jealous!!!
Please show the seams when you make something.
Congrats!!!!
I want better buttonholes, particularly keyhole buttonholes, as I have several coats and jackets in kit form (the purple I bought from you is GORGEOUS!!); and I don't always want to make bound buttonholes.
Is it worth it to get some sort of commercial/industrial machine, or should I just make friends with a tailor?
Wonderful! I can tell you, you're a goner now for sure.
Congrats on your serger. I bought my first industrial machine a little over a year ago. Pure love. I would love to add a serger to my collection of industrials. Congrats again!
Oh Ann, I love the new toy. You, and the Divas have been influencing my purchases for a long time. I happy to see Diva Gigi is still influencing you to buy new toys. This way I can live vicariously throgh all of you.
Enjoy your toy! I cannot wait to see what you create.
You go girl!!!!
Wow, now THAT is some piece of hardware! Zowie! Congratulations!
Congratulations! You're giving me ideas...
Beautiful. I want one too! lol Congratulations, Ann.
Congratulations Ann! Nothing like a new machine. I know you will enjoy that. I loooooove my Juki industrial, too. I just wish I had a dealer near me so I could get needles and feet easier. I want more feet!!!!
Cool, nothing like a new machine to give the mojo a big time booost! I want to see the first things you make, with time attached. And if you're bored, I have some slips and otherwise lingerie (no panties, promise!) cut out of charmeuse. You would have my blessing to practice! Just no trying on.... K
Congratulations on your industrial machine. I just bought my first ever industrial sewing machine 4 days ago and it just got delivered. It's a Juki DDL 8300 and I can't wait to get started. I am just worried about my lights dimming too. Are there any accessories that I can get for it, like a hemmer footer, invisible footer etc? I know I should have checked before my purchase but I decided on this machine long ago and for better or for worse :-)
Post a Comment