Friday, May 16, 2008

Fun fun fun in the Big Apple!


Well, work work work, then fun fun fun! I spent yesterday on a buying trip in New York. It was a very, very long day. But I got tons done, I have so many new fabrics coming, and better yet, I was able to see two friends while I was there!

First off, I got to have lunch with The Ever Lovely and Hysterical Carolyn. Oh. My. Gawd! No subject was off limits. No dish was left undished! We had an absolute blast. We went to a great little pub (don't worry, we drank Cokes) and sat there laughing for the entire time. I love Carolyn. If you get the opportunity to meet her, do! She's one of the most accomplished sewists around, with a wicked sense of style and a wickeder sense of humor! Mmmmwaah, Carolyn!

After lunch, I got more business done, then I headed downtown to see Emmett. Emmett is my twin brother by a different mother. I got a preview of his newest collection. Can I tell you? Gorgeous! When he showed me one dress in three different fabrications, I immediately exclaimed, "It's so Pia Getty!" He has several dresses that have amazing details. And I have some pictures of detail shots of one of his hottest selling dresses. I'm going to do a tutorial on how to make something very similar, so stay tuned!

Oh, and for all you New York area Fashionistas, Emmett is doing a big by-invitation sale next week. And guess what? I got the invite, and I get to invite all you! So check out the fabulous canapés, cocktails and CLOTHES (the clothes, babies, the clothes). I'll have a preview when he sends me pictures of some of the dresses, but trust me - it's all chic, elegant and FABULOUS!

Back to work today. Gotta post a lotta fabrics. And don't forget, there's still a Linens and Woolens Sale going on through the weekend at Gorgeous Fabrics.

Happy sewing!

5 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Lunch was a blast Ann! I had a good time! It definitely made my day a lot brighter!!!!

For everyone else, the Jalie top she was wearing was simply awesome! Its a great pattern that fit Ann well and the fabric was divine.

Can't wait until we can do it again!

Marji said...

I'm jealous on both counts!
And you've got me checking airline ticket prices for next week. ;)

Summerset said...

Lucky you! One day, I *will* find a way to meet Carolyn!

Karla said...

Sigh. I wish I could hate you, but I'll have to settle for mere envy. And hi, Carolyn!

Kanani said...

I've been thinking a lot about this lately.
I went to a green and humanitarian fashion show and saw fashions that were made with ethical labor laws both observed and enforced.
Then I watched something on BBC about kids working in sweatshops.
And I realized that a lot of my clothes --probably come from those sweatshops. It makes me sick.

So this summer when I get more money, I'll buy some of your fabrics and materials and find someone down here to sew for me. I don't need a lot of clothes, and those I have I'd like to know where they're made.

And I'll probably start buying a dress or two from people like Emmett, and even some of the designers I've been meeting around L.A.