There are lots of memes going around now. I don't usually participate in them, mostly because I don't know when I've been tagged in 99% of the cases. So if you have tagged me on any memes and you don't see me taking part, please don't be insulted. It's because I have no clue.
But I have been catching up on my blog reading today, and I saw that LindsayT tagged me for the latest meme - a literary one. I like this one a lot. It's interesting to see what people are reading (LindsayT - I'm with you. Me Talk Pretty Some Day is one of my favorites!)
Anyway, the game goes like this:
1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.
I feel like Geekster McGeek here. The nearest book is The History of United States Naval Operations in World War II, Leyte (June 1944 - January 1945). It is Volume 12 of the series written by Samuel Eliot Morison. There's a fascinating story in itself, but I'll save that for later. I inherited the entire series when my father died. He was an Army officer in WWII, but I swear he should have been in the Navy. He had a great love for all things naval. But I digress.
Here are the sentences:
'Half an hour's shore bombardment left the Japanese still frisky. A 75-mm shell struck the forward stack of Goldsborough at 1542, killing two men, but the ship sustained only minor damage. At 1550 her boats returned with the UDTs, which had enjoyed a good look at the landing beaches: they reported that "Chick" Parsons was right - no underwater obstacles or mines, and beaches very suitable for landing.'
That last one is pretty run-on, eh? Sister Celia would have marked me down for it!
I think all the sewers I know have been tagged at this point. So I'll tag some of my non sewing friends:
Bill
Kanani
Casey
Thombeau
and of course, my darlings Tom and Lorenzo
1 day ago
6 comments:
ooo, oo, I think i know this...is Samuel Elliot Morison the father(grandfather?) of Jim Morison of The Doors fame? I had read that he had close Navy ties.
No - according to Wikipedia (and since it is WP, I won't vouch for its veracity, but it's the best I could get), and I quote:
"Morrison was born in Melbourne, Florida, in 1943 to future Admiral George Stephen Morrison and Clara Clarke Morrison. Morrison had a sister, Anne Robin, who was born in 1947 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and a brother, Andrew Lee Morrison, who was born 1948 in Los Altos, California. He was of Scottish and Irish ethnic heritage."
Different spelling of the last name, too.
I would definitely say you are a geek for admitting that's what you are reading. But maybe I’m the bigger geek because I am writing this on a Saturday night.
Hi!
Well, I wish I could sew, but really... I'm pretty hopeless. It's very embarrassing since I'm the daughter of a dressmaker, and made all my clothes while I was growing up.
Okay.... so here it is:
1. One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson. (I haven't read this one yet!)
Page 123
"Let me fix you something," Paul Bradley said, retreiving a tiny bottle of whiskey and a can of Irn-Bru. "Hang on, I'll get a glass from the bathroom."
Martin looked in horror at the glass of orange liquid that Paul Bradley came back with but felt obliged to say, "Thanks," and take a drink.
(Kanani's note --what is Irn Bru? Must google this).
Well I've now done my research on memes - never heard of them before. But here goes.
Sadly, I'm at work so the closest book is Sumitomo Marine & Fire Insurance, The First Century.
P. 123, sentence 5 & beyond:
One of the goals of the third long-term business plan adopted in 1967 was to double the number of agencies. In an effort to increase the number of active agencies, regional agencies were organized for each of the branch offices into a regional association; in August 1968, these associations were organized into the Federation of Sumitomo Marine and Fire Insurance Agency Associations. As a means of motivating agencies, a national sales contest was organized.
*BONUS* There is an excruciatingly bland photo of the first general meeting of the above mentioned federation that includes President Mizoguchi and chairman Sadao Sato. Everyone is in a boring dark suit. All have a ribboned badge on their left breast pocket. Almost all wear glasses. Only two of the 29 people are wearing anything even approaching a smile; the rest appear to be constipated or are fighting a gas attack.
Bill, I give you credit for even having a book at work! Do you know how many cubicles are bereft of anything but flyers, reports and the occassional PEOPLE magazine?
Post a Comment