Monday, June 30, 2008

Waiter, Another Cosmo Please!


Alright! It's finally done! This was one of those "Murphy's Law Projects". Between having to recut the bodice and rip out the old, insert the new, and deal with demanding kids my little darlings for the last several weeks, I didn't think I would ever be able to finish this dress. But I did!

Since I've reviewed the Cosmopolitan Dress a couple of times already, I'll just tell you what I did differently. This time I used the scoop neck instead of the mock wrap. I raised the neckline one inch at the CF. I also used a binding, cut from self fabric. To make the binding I cut the fabric on the crossgrain for maximum stretch. I used a very narrow zigzag to stitch in the ditch to affix it. You can see an extreme closeup here:

The stitching is not visible unless you're that close. And honeys, if you get that close to me, Kenneth King personally gave me permission to slap you!

I used the handkerchief sleeves instead of my usual long sleeves. And I used Gigi's Brilliant Mitering Tutorial to finish the sleeve hems.

Other than that, I eliminated the zipper and just made this a pullover. It all went together beautifully and now I have a great dress for summer!

Happy sewing!

20 comments:

NancyDaQ said...

All of your hard work was worth it! Lovely dress!

Carla(LoverofWords) said...

I LOVE THIS DRESS, FROM THE MATERIAL TO THE CUT OF THE DRESS.

BEAUTIFUL..

CARLA
ALLEN TX
SOON TO BE ADOPTED MOTHER OF 1

Gigi said...

Beautiful! That fabric is wonderful. I never get tired of this pattern!

Shannon said...

What a great dress - love that fabric!

Elaray said...

Gorgeous! I love the colors. I'll bet it looks great with your hair color!

Dana said...

Beautiful dress, that pattern really shows off the Gorgeous Fabrics!

MarilynB said...

Your choice of fabric with this view of the dress is perfection. I just love it.

Little Hunting Creek said...

Gorgeous dress! I love both the fabric and the pattern. I must make one for my own. Thanks for the tips on the neckline.
Have a great day! Kathleen
http://littlehuntingcreek.blogspot.com/

BeckyW said...

Very pretty dress. I have sewn since I was a little girl, but have hardly sewn with knits at all. I would love to be able to sew with knits with such confidence and ease.

I would love to know more about the process that you used to bind the neck edge of the dress. How wide was your binding to start with? Do you sew on with a narrow seam allowance or do you use the 5/8�and trim after sewing? When you flip the binding to the wrong side, do you leave the edge raw? Do you serge the edge? Do you turn the edge of it under?

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Stunning, stunning dress and I like how you changed it up!

Kitty Couture said...

Gorgeous dress, Ann! I really must make another Cosmo some time.

KP said...

I love it! I'm still searching for an intermediate sewing class her in Vegas so I can sew with more confidence. Grrr!

Meg said...

Super hot dress! Great fabric, natch.

Summerset said...

Such a great marriage of pattern and fabric with superb results!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, as always! Ann, what a talented sewist you are. Congrats!

Lori said...

Great dress.

kirstenrana said...

Perfect pairing of pattern and fabric :)
How many yards did you use?

Vicki said...

Lovely! But it really is your fabric that makes it :))

Ebony said...

this is a gorgeous dress.

Linda L said...

Great looking dress!