Sunday, August 24, 2008

Next Up (Almost Done, Actually)

I spent much of yesterday cleaning the studio and resetting all my machines. DH said to me "Gee Ann, it looks like your own little sweatshop!" Ha. Ha. Darling. Not funny. He had the good grace to be abashed. I'll post a picture when it's done. I took my inspiration from my friend Emmett. He has a new design studio and we've been trading pictures back and forth for ideas. I had my machines flush against the wall, but after looking at his setup, I tried setting them perpendicular. It works! Like I say, I'll post pictures later.

So once I got that done, I had to take a little time for me. And I figure this pattern:

Plus this fabric:


Will make a fabulous little top for fall. So I started working on it and got more than halfway through when - DOH! I realize I had sewn the two back sleeves together, and set them in to one armhole. How much do I hate when I do that? Worse? I used my 5 thread industrial Juki serger. Guess how easy it is to rip out seams once that puppy has done its thing? Not easy. Not easy at all.

Okay, I know you're saying, "Hey, you have more of this fabric, don't you? Well, yah, but it's so popular I don't want to pull any I don't have to. So I'm sitting here with a surgical scalpel ripping seams while watching Young Frankenstein.

So since I don't have a picture of a finished garment to show just yet, here's a great recipe. We made Jerk Pork Roast today. I have a wonderful jerk rub recipe that I have used for years. It always gets raves. Now mind you, it is h-h-h-hot. But it is also very savory, and you can make it less or more spicy by varying the number of Scotch Bonnet peppers you use. I don't take pictures of food. I don't have the photographic setup to make food look good. Trust me. Your taste buds will love it.

Jamaican Jerk Rub
1 Four-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
2/3 cup fresh thyme leaves, chopped
7 cloves of garlic, peeled
5 bay leaves, crushed
2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
5 Scotch Bonnet peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
1/3 cup olive oil

Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until just all ingredients are chopped, but not too fine. Spread on your favorite meat. Grill and enjoy!

Happy sewing and cooking!

1 comment:

Allison said...

I have made this t shirt (version A) 3x now (once out of your fabric!) and love it. I found that the sleeve works better if you cut it double, sew it together around the bottom (so its already hemmed) and then set the sleeve and serge the armhole. I made the 3rd version without the neckband...instead, I raised the neck 1" (at the front/back pieces and sleeve) and then did a bias binding. I think I like that one the best! I also made it in 3 different lengths: the pattern version, one longer to the hip, and one almost tunic length. I also found I had to make it a size smaller than my regular size. But the pattern is a winner! Allison