Yesterday I posted about Bobbie Carr's passing. Today is not any happier. I just got official confirmation that Fabric Place, the Boston area's largest (until now) independent fabric retailer is ceasing operations.
I heard about this first 3 weeks ago. ASDP's New England chapter, of which I am VP of Programs, is hosting Emmett McCarthy in October for our meeting. It will be open to the public - stay tuned for more information on it later. Anyway, I had worked with Fabric Place and we were going to hold the meeting in their classroom in the Framingham store. Then I got a call from the education coordinator that they were closing the education department immediately, so they would not be holding the seminar.
The next day, Valerie, one of my S&B denizens, sent me a note saying she had it on good authority that the whole operation is shutting down. I checked into it and got unofficial and anonymous confirmations, but no one was talking until yesterday. So yet another fabric store in Boston bites the dust. This one is especially poignant for me. My first experience with really good fabric was when my mother took me to Fabric Place to buy silk for a Ralph Lauren jabot necked blouse back in the eighties. I was thrilled and nervous (at how much I was spending) all at once. Fabric Place at one point was the largest independent fabric store in New England. They had stores in Framingham, Woburn, Randoph and Cromwell CT. By December they will be gone. It's a very sad day and I will miss them.
6 days ago
19 comments:
It is very sad how the small independent fabric stores keep closing down these days. I remember back in the 80's when those type of stores were prevalent everywhere -- I even recall buying nice fabric in the larger major department stores (like Woodward & Lothrop, for those of you in the D.C. area). The "fabric" they sell in the chain stores is crap. Thank goodness for wonderful internet retailers like Gorgeous Fabrics!!!
You know, SueB was telling me about this on Monday when I came down to Mass for the vintage textile show. Thanks for confirming. It is a sad day when stores with such great memories close.
I wept when the Cromwell store closed. That was always my pit stop on the way home from visiting my folks in Maine. A sad day indeed.
wow....how sad. But even more reason we need Gorgeous Fabrics!...Tina
Very sad.I do remember when department stores had patterns and fabric. They were wonderful. All I have near me now are chains too. I'd have to drive 30 miles for G Street. That's why I buy from YOUR store ...see? you are performing a valuable public service! :)
How sad. I have been an irregular customer for years - it was always reasonably busy in both Framingham and Woburn.
This is so sad. When I received a notice in yesterday's mail that everything in both the Framingham and Woburn stores was on sale I suspected that they were closing. I've been going to the Fabric Place since the early 1970's and over the years have taken numerous seminars there.
It looks like the internet will be my main source for quality fabrics.
I am sorry to hear that it is closing...but could someone explain to me why, if we keep losing great bricks and mortar stores..."sewists" continue to trash the few internet resources we have left?! Could someone PLEASE explain that to me?
I don't know why people trash internet vendors. For that matter, I don't know why people trash brick and morter stores. Even a Hancock or JoAnne is better than nothing. It's always the same people too.
I am also very sad about the Fabric Place closing. I took some sewing classes in the 80's in the Framingham store where it used to be crowded and busy all the time and also used to stop in at the Cromwell store on my way to NYC for work. The salepeople at both those store were always so friendly and helpful. I went to the Woburn store today where I usually shop since it's the closest to where I currently live and was thinking about maybe giving flowers to the salespeople or ... something but perhaps it's too late - it just didn't feel right. I think the salespeople that I used to buy from and talk to in Woburn have all gone already. I just felt terribly sad walking around the store in a fog and just bought some yarn that I'm running out of and which I always go to the Fabric Place to buy. When I paid for my purchases, the cashier was very nice but I think I shouldn't have asked if The Fabric Place would be helping them find new jobs, she said no and I just felt terrible about the whole thing. I told her that was too bad and said I would really miss the store - I almost started crying maybe not for the current Fabric Place but for the stores that once were...
Oh I am so sad. When I lived in Connecticut, I loved to make the trip to shop there. I could always find the most beautiful fabrics. I have a few pieces that left in my stash, that I've been saving for that perfect pattern. I will be even more careful how I use it now that they are gone. Jacksonville is a wasteland when it comes to fabric. There are a few home dec places, and of course Joann's, but for really good fabric, I have to shop online.
I lived in Framingham until moving to Maine last year, and every time I go back to the area to visit, I always make sure I stop in to see what's new at Fabric Place. I will miss the store terribly, even though I have found several excellent online retailers (including Gorgeous Fabrics!) to fill the void.
Sad news, indeed.
We just recently lost our independent fabric store, Baer Fabrics, here in Louisville, Ky. It was an amazing 3 floor store that had been open for 103 years. They announced it on a Thursday afternoon, and were closed by Saturday. My husband had always said he knew where I'd be if I had any extra time-Baer's. I'm still grieving. There are no other fabric stores that carry fashion fabrics in this area other than Hancock and I think that says it all. :(
I have never been in these stores, but I fell the loss of an independent fabric store. Is it cheap, disposable clothing do you think? Do sewers today not understand quality or the wonderful experience of sewing on good fabric? I still miss the one wonderful independent fabric store near me that closed years ago. I will never forget the feeling of wandering and touching and having a guide to help and explain. She had silks and cashmeres and wonderful designer fabrics. I had been sewing for years when I found her store, but I took sewing lessons from her and really pushed my sewing forward. The store closed because she became ill and there was no one to continue it.
I think Fabric Place expanded too fast, and concentrated too much on homedec...they opened a homedec only store on Boylston Street, and I think that was the beginning of the end.
I miss the Randolph store (it was a great place to kill time before the movies), and I really can't think of any decent fabric store left in the greater Boston area. Apple Annies in Swansea is great, but small and far away. Thanks, Ann, for being a wonderful internet retailer! If I had to buy all my fabric in Joanne's I wouldn't be doing much sewing...and my niece is thrilled that she's going to have a pink dress coat to wear to the Nutcracker!
I hate hearing things like this! Last year during PR Weekend, the guy at Paron's was telling me he didn't know where the fabric district would be in 10 years. It's like they're being squeezed out. He seemed very appreciative that our PR group was in and buying fabric. It's why I'm very concerned there's no PR Weekend NYC this November. It seems store owners remember our group, and they like us helping to spread the word about their stores.
I think it's fantastic that there are PR Weekends in other locales now, but I think our group will be missed this November.
I still miss my Cromwell, CT store. ;o(
I share the experience of The Fabric Place being the 1st place I found good fabric in the late 80's. I still have some of the pieces I bought around my sewingroom.
Now I'm left with Joanne's and a couple of high quality quilt shops and that's about it. ;o(
How awful! Now I'm at the mercy of JoAnn Fabrics and Crap. I never even got the chance yet to go down to Fabric place. Oh well.
Terrible news--I bought the fabric for my wedding dress at Fabric Place. The staff were always so helpful and, unlike the chain stores, actually seemed to know about sewing. I'll miss them.
Post a Comment