Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Reading Materials and Working On...


So here's a funny story. We were driving to Cape Cod two weeks ago for the Oyster Fest. I had work to do, so as DH was driving I got online (cell modems are the best). What was in my mailbox but a note from the publisher of The Glamour of Belleville Sassoon, asking if I would be willing to review the book for them. "Sure," I said, and I offered to purchase the book. They wouldn't let me, and they sent it to me. So I'm reading it now and I'll post a full review in the next day or two. Talk about fun eye candy! More to come...

I'm also working on a competitive dance costume for my DS the younger's teacher. That's going to be quite the trip! It's a Latin outfit, and I have absolutely no. clue. what I'm doing. Feel free to chime in, anyone who has experience. She wants something with an exposed bra (think of Edyta's outfits on Dancing with the Stars) that I'm going to cover with sequinned fabric I got at Spandex House when I was last in New York. Like I say, any and all pointers welcome. I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this one.

Speaking of DS the younger and dancing, he's got another competition this Sunday. He's on at 7:30 in the morning. Ugh. The good news is that he'll be done before 10. I made him a vest and his teacher a matching sash for the comp. I'll post a review later, after I get pictures of him in the outfit for the competition.

I need more coffee...
Happy sewing!

7 comments:

BetsyV said...

Glad to hear he's back dancing after that ankle sprain. I wondered about that just the other day when my own repaired ankle gave me a significant twinge ... Sorry I have no tips about a fancy Latin dance outfit though!

BetsyV

Karla said...

I didn't know about that Bellville Sassoon book! My wedding dress was made from a Vogue Belinda Bellville pattern and I've continued to find myself attracted to the Bellville Sassoon designs - enough to keep me busy bidding on ebay. ((I would have abbreviated, but BS doesn't seem apropos.

maddierose said...

OOhhh love eye candy! Especially books like this. Can't wait to see what you have to say about it. May have to add it to my library when it is released.

BTW- received the 'Spacey Fleurs' knit yesterday. Fabulous! Now if only my Hot Pattern would arrive.


From Lori in Long Beach (just so you might remember who I am. But it's ok if you don't :)

Anonymous said...

Only thing I know about Latin dance costumes is start with a Lycra bathing suit, remove fabric in spots, add sequins. Make sure butt is covered. No, wait, that's figure skating :-) Meredith P

Anonymous said...

Ah yes - we know all about early calls for dance competitions! At least he(and you!) doesn't need to worry about hair and maekup.

Anonymous said...

I make those costumes for my daughter and her classmates. I start with a real bra - I buy the cheap underwire ones with big push up foam inside and cover them with spandex. I just sew the spandex by hand to the bra. The skirts have self panties built in. I use a Kwik sew bikini bottom pattern for the panties. Her favorite bra top was covered with all different sizes of swarovski crystals. If you have a store called Joyce Leslie by you, they have lots of pieces you can buy along with the good bras.

Anonymous said...

That's so exciting about the latin outfit! I can't wait to see it. I too recommend working with a real bra (push up, $4 at Marshalls or wherever); the wearer can just find one that works well for her and bring it to you--it makes for much better fit/comfort than those foam cups made for sewing. You can then replace the thick straps of the bra with tan elastic where needed.

Btw, I ended up purchasing a Janome--I have yet to really use it and get used to it, but we'll see how it goes!

Can't wait to see how the dress turns out!