DS has been agitating to go as Anakin Skywalker. However, this year, Star Wars is passé, and you can't find a costume anywhere. Add to that, the pattern companies have also taken the Star Wars costumes for kids out of their catalogs. So what's a SuperMom to do? Draft baby, draft!For the brown robe, I used some kids' bathrobe pattern or another. Honestly, it was so little work it's not even worth doing a review. It's a raglan sleeve robe with a hood. I made it from cotton flannel that I picked up Tuesday of this week. The shirt underneath is self-drafted, made from muslin with a belt made from the flannel. I started cutting the patterns out yesterday at noon and was done by 4. I came home with it (and I even had time to go grocery shopping) by 6. DS the younger was thrilled. He had confided to DH at the bus stop that he didn't think I'd be able to get his costume done in time, and he was sad. Oh ye of little faith! I did keep repeating to myself, "This is costume, not couture." I took lots of shortcuts, but I think it turned out pretty well! Here's another picture of him in it...
Speaking of DH, he got laid off last week. I blame the republicans.Happy Halloween!
25 comments:
I'll join you blaming the republicans.
Regarding the costume, isn't it always the "simple" designs that intrigue us? This costume is GREAT!
I love the costume! I miss those days ( You want to be a viking? wearing your ship? and the halloween party is WHEN!?) And, let's hope we have something to celebrate on Tuesday night.
Those rotten republicans! Seriously, I'm very sorry to hear that. I've been there and done that as they say and it's no picnic. Very stressful, Ann and a crappy time of year too! I'll keep you in my thoughts. The boy looks adorable. My oldest pull a last minute costume request on me a few days ago. "BTW Mom, I need it tomorrow morning" WHAAA? Thank God for a stash.
I'm sorry to hear your hubby lost his job though - although I actually blame this whole mess on the Democrats. In any event, the kid's costume's great!
I'm sorry to hear about your husband's job situation...it's getting real scary out there! And I DEFINITELY blame the Rethuglicans!!!!
Great costume, Ann! The HS I teach at had Star Wars as the Homecoming theme this year, and I saw 17 year old boys looks just as happy to be dressed up as a Jedi as your cute son! We even had "professional" storm troopers guarding the doors and escorting a couple girls on the HC court. Yes, professional storm troopers. They make appearances but donate all their fees to charity. Maybe your DH should look into this new line of work... with a Jedi at his side, it could be a two-for-one deal!
The costume looks great! I'm sorry about your husband's job loss. I think there is enough blame to spread around to all the politicians, but the Dems have controlled Congress for the past 6 years.
The costume looks great!! And I'm just going to blame politicians in general. Bunch of lying jerks.
Okay folks, I really appreciate the nice comments and well wishes for DH. The fact is he's fine. He has a mad skills set that seems to be in demand, so we're hopeful (Flex - good stuff). But before this devolves into political name calling, know that I said that as a joke. I'm not going to let anyone get nasty here. Trust me, there is more than enough blame to point fingers in every corner.
Now, what do you think of my costume???
Oh, and one last thing, since I'm on my soapbox and have been test tasting the witches' brew we have for the grownups in my neighborhood... PLEASE VOTE on Tuesday! I don't care who you vote for. Just do it.
Okay, back to the brew. Happy Halloween!
Nice to see that the family hambone is still genetically strong.
He looks great (and very happy)!
Aunt Marie
Great costume and sorry to hear about your husband, Ann.
I love the costume! I don't think we had a single home-made one this year, boo hoo. Those are my favorites, discounting the teenagers' last minute getups of ripped tee shirts and red paint.
Last year, 2 boys came by, about 7 y/o, neighbors to each other, one was a backhoe and the other another piece of construction equipment. Made out of cardboard boxes, duct tape, string and spray paint. The best part was, the backhoe boy had a string inside he could pull to make the shovel part move up and down. It was a riot. The boys' dads brought them around. They were very proud of their combined handiwork!
BetsyV
Sorry about DH - he's a genius and will be back in the saddle in no time, I'm sure!
Your costume sewing reminded me of the time I pulled an all-nighter sewing white denim overalls with a jillion pieces and a black/white Cat-in-the-Hat hat for Jess so that he could be Buff Bagwell for Halloween. These are the things our kids will remember when they grow up.
And don't hate me because I'm a Republican! :-(
Honey, I wouldn't hate you no matter what. Repubs, Dems, Independents, who cares? Just vote! If for no other reason than then you get the right to bitch if the wrong guy gets elected!
Mmmmmmwah!
I wish I would have known you needed a Star Wars pattern as I would have sent you mine! It was 4 outfits in one--Padme, Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Leia. I just gave my friend the Obi-Wan and Anakin costumes I made two years ago.
So sorry to hear about your DH. I worry about this all the time with my husband. He calls the end-of-September time period the "annual bloodletting". Everyone is on edge to lose their jobs at that time every year. I sincerely hope that he is able to find a job that he wants soon.
Wonderful costume! You are a genius :). And I'll keep my fingers crossed for your husband. We had layoffs on Friday at my day job, and my heart hurts for everyone who got laid off.
Love the costume! Sometimes the simple things can give us the most pleasure.
My neighborhood is a real mixed bag politically... So I second you - just VOTE. Exercise your right in a democratic society. In many countries this right isn't available.
I love the costume - I had an Anakin two years ago (store bought) and it was the cheesiest costume ever! This year I made my youngest's (he wanted to be a zombie and insisted I could make it) - so I did - and he said it was the best costume ever!!! It was worth the effort!
Great costume! I like kids who don't follow the trends...some of the time, at any rate.
I got lucky and was in the states when early voting started so I got my voting out of the way and can now sit back and watch what happens. 'October' surprises won't effect me!
You did your usual... a fabulous design. And so quickly! Your son looks great, and I hope he realizes (or someday will realise) how lucky he was to have you in his costume design corner.
Great costume Ann! You get the "Best Mommy" award for doing this for DS.
I'm sorry about DH job. I'm worried about mine now in light of the market and what has happened to my company's stock. YIKES!!!!
I'll echo Ann's words..."just go out and vote". (I will be voting Republican however) ;o)
great costume!
Sorry to hear about your DH but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And I also second your "go, vote" in other countries people die to vote. (that's what I'm telling my colleagues every time that there's a election around here. It's our right and we need to vote. It's also our duty!)
So sorry to hear about DH. Lets hope a change in president (either way) will restore some optimism.
RE: Republican comment- You're awesome!!!!!
Post a Comment