Saturday, January 10, 2009

Can I Rant for Just a Minute?

This has nothing to do with sewing. And I apologize for ranting first thing in the morning, but this is really starting to bug me. I was over on one of my favorite non-sewing sites, SportsIllustrated.com (note that I am not providing a hot link - grrrr). I wanted to take a look at the matchups for the football playoffs this weekend. I could not move my mouse across the screen without the damned thing popping up some ad or another. Circuit City kept popping up and blocking the screen, and every time you move anywhere on the site, Netflix would sneak in one of those freakin' pop-under ads.

Aaaaarrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I closed the site and now I am stewing. I absolutely hate those things. If I'm interested in a product, store or service, I'll click through to it. But I can tell you, thanks to these ads, I will empatically not purchase anything from those vendors. And I didn't get to read my matchup stats!

Grrrr......

Okay, rant over. Thanks for listening. Feel free to gripe with me. I promise I'll blog about sewing later today. We're supposed to get a big armageddon-like snowstorm tonight, so it will be a good time to stay in and work on that sweater knit. I haven't decided what to make it with yet. Stay tuned.

Happy sewing!

9 comments:

wendy said...

I leave flash turned off most of the time because of those ads. The worst are the movie ones that play on the side of articles, making it almost impossible to focus on the text on the page.

What browser are you using? Most have 'popunder blockers' that you can turn on to stop stuff like the netflix popups.

Gorgeous Things said...

Wendy, I'm using Firefox, and I have the pop-up blocker set to on. I have to get DH (who's the tech dude in this household) to help me out. How maddening, though!

Bobbie said...

Hi Ann,

I am a regular blog reader and have ordered alot of fabric from you!

Anyway, if you are using Firefox you can download a Firefox add on called Adblock Plus for free. Problem solved!!!! I have to disable it if I am doing a few banking procedures,( scanning checks in etc) but other than that it works great. Go to the Firefox home page and look around for the add ons. Bobbie

Karla said...

My personal "favorites": the pop-up boxes that won't let you leave. Click "close" and it takes you to their next screen. Click "X" - same thing. In addition to irritating me, they give me uneasy flashbacks to the Eagles' Hotel California:

We are programed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave

Gorgeous Things said...

Thanks for that Bobbie, I'll give it a try.

-E said...

I like ESPN :) but you have to have the volume off... (that's a rant in itself)

Little Hunting Creek said...

My son has the same complaint, so he does ESPN too.

Anonymous said...

Aww, I totally understand your rant, I hate ads popping up. Bobbies advice is great, adblock works like a charm for me!

sewcrazy said...

I can confirm all the recommendations for Firefox and AdBlock - I just loaded AdBlock, went to sports illustrated.com and saw NO pop-ups, unders or other annoyances.