Pattern Description: From the Burda website, "Close-fitting dress in two lengths, with generous neckline. The section seams narrow slightly towards the hem which has small hem slits, either at the end of the section seams or in the back centre seam." I made View B, the longer of the two versions.
Sizing: 36 to 46. I made a Size 40
Did it look like the photo or drawing when you got through? Yes, though the photo I took doesn't show the details (black dresses, don't you know)
How were the instructions? I didn't use them. This is a pretty straightforward princess seam dress. If you have made one in the past, this will go together very quickly.
Fabric Used: Italian Modal Doubleknit from Gorgeous Fabrics. I also used a new interfacing, Pro Sheer Interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply. I can't say enough good things about this interfacing. It's my new fave-rave. If you don't have some, get it! NAYY, but this is great stuff.
Construction Notes: I didn't line the dress. Because of this, I finished all seam allowances with my serger:

I used facings (from the pattern for the neckline, self-drafted for the armholes) to finish the edges. Because the original pattern has the neckline facings attached to, and therefore held in place by, the lining, I needed to tack the neckline facings to the dress.
You could get around this by topstitching the neckline about 5/8" from the edge, but I didn't like that look. Besides, this keeps them in place more neatly.I used an invisible zipper on my dress. Here are a couple of construction tips for you when inserting invisible zippers. First, fuse a length of lightweight interfacing (see above) cut the length of the zipper opening by 5/8" to both seam allowances for your zipper. I place the interfacing so that it extends into the garment about 1/8" beyond the seamline. Since it's lightweight, that won't affect your garment, but it will stabilize the zipper and give you a smooth finish.
Next, I use a contrast thread and baste right at the seam on each side of the center back:
This takes all the guesswork out of placement of the zipper, so I get a perfect application. Just lay the teeth of the zipper right along the basting. I then hand baste the zipper in place using a long running stitch. Stitch the zipper in place with an invisible zipper foot, remove all basting (and don't whine to me about the amount of basting - it's worth it) and ta daa! A perfect invisible zip. No muss, no fuss, no ripping and resewing.For the best tutorial on invisible zips, check out Els' Post at The Sewing Divas.
Likes/Dislikes: This is a classic LBD, which I desperately needed. I only had a cotton piqué one, which was coming up on 10 years old and showing every bit of it. This pattern is extremely well drafted. It's a princess line, so it's easy to fit. It's classic, it is comfortable, and it's an all-around great dress!
Would you do it again? Would you recommend it? Yes and yes!
Conclusion: Get it. Make it. Wear it. Love it!
Here's a picture on Shelley. Note that she is a RTW 6 Wolf dress form. I'm not. It fits me much better. It also sits lower on the neckline (but not too low) than what you see here. I'll try to get DH to take a picture of me in it this weekend. I'll also try to get it taken in better light and play with the contrast so you can see more detail.

Happy sewing!
26 comments:
Hi Ann,
Gorgeous dress!
Since this pattern is not for a knit, what adjustment did you have to make the dress for a knit. Also, is there a problem with the dress(made with double knit) sticking to panty hose if it is not lined? If you had decided to line it, what lining would you have used?
Are you going to have another stitch 'n bitch session?
I hope you do not mind my asking all these questions.
Prabha
Very nice! I'm a firm believer that every woman needs an LBD in her wardrobe that makes her feel like a million dollars, no matter what the occasion!
I need an LBD. Super classy.
Very nice. I love the pattern. Will get some interfacing, thanks!
Elegant and a perfect LBD. Your choice of fabric is very smart, it is forgiving and hard wearing.
Fabulous. Something we all need in our wardrobe.
Great dress Ann! I agree this should be a TNT!
This is fantastic.
Very Laura Bennett. You'll wonder how you got by without this dress.
The dress looks wonderful! I love the style.
Great dress! Can't wait to see what it looks like with you in it!
I love the zipper tip - another great one that I hope I remember to try!
Looks Great!
Really great for a versatile black dress. I like the double knit choice, very cool.
Thank you for the EXCELLENT pictures and steps. I purchased this pattern and was going to use a linen,but I am seriously considering my fabric choice. I will refer to your advice when I do start it!
Your dress is lovely. How wonderful!
What's NOT to love about this dress?!! I already have a number of black dresses but I think I need to add this one to my collection! Fabulous!
Elegant LBD.
I'd say you have a winner - a classic, go-to, LBD!
Lovely dress and thanks for the details.... I am so in need of an LBD, but will have to look at one of the Big 4s.
Love IT! I do! Gotta get it!
Great taste. Great dress. Looks like a million bucks on Shelley. It'll probably look like two million on her owner. ;-)
Very Purty! I keep on putting off my new LBD and then kick myself when I have an occasion to want to wear it. Perhaps it is finally time...
HOT Dress! One way to fight the winter chill...
Wow, nice dress! I just started sewing about 12 months ago and haven't made anything I can really wear yet. Never fits right. So I am in awe. (By the way I came here via sew craft blog- I am in your group!).
I adore the sheath dress. I miss wearing dresses.
By the way, I have just joined Sew craft blog and am in your group!
Love this dress!!
I bought this pattern in France to discover it is in French, German and Dutch!!! Think the pattern should be easy enough. I'm not lining it - I'll use a slip!
Post a Comment