Sunday, January 25, 2009

What I Did Today

I taught a Brownie troop to sew!

This was so much fun. I was contacted by the leader of Troop 1608 here in town. This is a troop that consists of 1st to 3rd graders. They wanted to get a sewing badge, so I got the requirements and put together a class. We made tote bags. I have to tell you, these girls were SO CUTE! There were five of them, and they were so attentive. They were also incredibly fast learners! I told them all that I wanted them to come to my adult classes to show off for my students. They all decorated their bags and after we were finished I let them each pick out a fabric from the remnants I keep in the sewing studio. The nicest thing at the end was that they all started shouting, "I love sewing!" And they asked if they could come back in the spring to make something else.

I don't have any pictures, but suffice it to say that it was one of the most fun sewing experiences I have ever had, and that is saying something. I'm still smiling from ear to ear. If you ever have the chance, and want to totally energize your sewing mojo, get yourself a Brownie troop and give them a class. You will be so glad you did.

Happy sewing!

16 comments:

tm said...

I would love to hear more about how you taught the class. I have a girls' club that would love to sew, but I the logistics of 8 girls and limited sewing and cutting tools seemed daunting.

Anonymous said...

My sewing interest first spark from earning my girl scout sewing badge. Of course, I didn't get truly interested until I was 40 but I still remember learning the fundamentals. I have 2 daughters who I am teaching and their friends are so envious. There is so little opportunity to learn sewing as a child--maybe there will be a come back. I can guarantee that those 5 girls will never forget you! Keep smiling!

Manecoarse said...

That sounds like fun. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Ann Made Studio said...

Sounds like it was a fun day for you and the girls.

Zep said...

I do 6 weeks of summer sewing camp. 4 Days a week for 3 hours a day. The past 3 years have been very successful. I love teaching kids too. They learn quickly and some are very good at young ages. The only difference teaching adults and kids. Adults will wait for you to come to them when they need help. Kids line up in front of you and yell "I'm next" :)
It's great to hear you had a good time with the kids. It was good for your soul - you should do it more often.

That Crazy Ajumma said...

Oh,I cant totally relate!
When my oldest was in Girl Scouts many years ago,they were trying to earn their sewing badge as well.I brought in my sewing machine and the teacher was able to get 2 as well and we got to teach them how to make hair scrunchies.They had so much fun and so did I!
Its worth the effort isn't it?

-E said...

Way to spread the love :) I'm smiling with you!

Bunny said...

What a great way to warm up a cold winter day. You have given them the passion.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I haven't done this since my oldest daughter was a Girl Scout but I can remember how fascinated they all were with the process! You did a good thing today and who knows how many future sewists you inspired!

Leslie in Austin said...

You just gave those girls a day that they will remember forever!!

Anonymous said...

Awwww. I remember my sewing badge for Brownies! My daughter is a Brownie leader now. I will offer my services to them for sure!

Little Hunting Creek said...

Big brownie points for you! What fun, I love teaching kids to sew. They are so enthusiastic and willing to learn.

loopylulu said...

Wow, that sounds incredibly fun for them. I wish I had a similar gorgeous thing to teach me when I was a brownie.

Stephanie @ My Answered Prayer said...

Oh how fun!!!! Hopefully you've inspired them for a lifetime of sewing!

Anonymous said...

I think the Canadian Girl Guides have dropped the sewing badge. I need to call the local council and check. I read that they dropped the more home related badges in favor of business oriented ones. Like girls don't need to learn homemaking skills???

I read somewhere, in relation to the settling of the American West, that 'women brought civilzation with them in their hands.' Hands that sewed, cooked, cleaned and comforted. They created stability where kaos had reigned.

Let's hope women don't lose that ability for civilizations sake.

Bek said...

How lovely. I wish there were more opportunities for kids to learn to sew! It is so much fun, and such a useful skill too!