Saturday, March 07, 2009

Pattern Review - Kwik Sew 2740



Pattern Description: From Kwik Sew's Website, "These tops are designed for stretch knits only with 50% stretch across the grain. We suggest using fabric with spandex-Lycra¨, cotton-Lycra¨, stretch velvet, panne or stretch lace.

The tops are close fitting. View A and B have long sleeves. View A has a turtleneck and View B has a mock turtleneck. View C has short sleeves and a crew neckband."

Sizing: XS-XL. Please note, that unlike the description, these tops are NOT close fitting. They run very large. I made a medium, and I should have made a small. The finished dimensions on the pattern piece are incorrect.

Fabric Used: Get Ziggy With It jersey from Gorgeous Fabrics.

Needle/Notions Used: Stretch 75/11 needle, fusible tricot from Sew Exciting Fashion Sewing Supply.

Did it look like the photo or drawing when you got through? It's much less fitted than the illustration would indicate.

How were the instructions? They were typical Kwik Sew - fine.

Construction Notes: Aside from the sizing issue, this pattern is very well drafted. I shortened the sleeves to bracelet length (my current favorite). I serged all seams and finished the hems with a narrow zigzag stitch.

Any changes? None

Likes/Dislikes: Like the style, dislike the sizing.

Would you do it again? Would you recommend it? I would do it, and I would recommend it for beginners as long as you go into it with the knowledge that you'll need to size down.

Conclusion: A well drafted, but only okay, pattern. Here's a picture of it on Shelley:
And here's a picture with the Burda Jumper
Happy sewing!

11 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Okay...when I first saw the turtleneck alone I thought "eye-popping!" But underneath the jumper it is very intriguing...I'm liking it! But what has you so ambivalent about it?

Linda L said...

Love the fabric. I find that KS patterns run large on me and have to remind myself to size down in the tops and skirts seem to be okay.

BeeBee said...

Love the fabric. But then you always have the best fabric. Hands down. Like the shirt, good to know about the sizing, I need a long sleeve tee. I've fallen head over heals for a Jalie pattern, but it only has (really) short sleeves.

Myra said...

Love that tshirt fabric. It is very jazzy.

Gorgeous Things said...

Carolyn, it's not a bad pattern, it's just not what I expected. The description and the illustration both indicate that it will be quite formfitting (think along the lines of Jalie or J Stern tee shirts), but it's not. So I was disappointed.

BeeBee, you can take the sleeves from another Jalie top and draft them onto the pattern you love. That's pretty straightforward. What pattern are you looking at? It might be worth a tutorial or at least a show and tell.

Ann Made Studio said...

Pretty cool print - It really does look great with the jumper , I like it :)

Sue said...

Well it might not be quite what you expected but it does look good with the jumper :)

Pam Erny said...

Another fabulous outfit...

Love each garment on it's own..but together they sing!

Pam ~Off The Cuff~

Gigi said...

Awesome! I love that fabric.

Summerset said...

Love it! I almost bought that KS pattern too, because I live in t-necks and some funky ones would be fun. Thanks for the size warning.

Cennetta said...

Jazzy fabric indeed. I like the turtleneck, especially with the jumper.