Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What I'm Working On...

If you ever want to know why it is I don't make more Marfy patterns, you're looking at the reason. I love Marfy. Their lines are great; their patterns, for the most part, are incredibly chic; their fit is generally impeccable.

But...

They are an utter PITA to get sewing with. And because I'm really wanting to take my time and do this jacket right, I have traced it out onto individual muslin pieces, which I will sew into a toile for fitting and adjustments. Once all that is done, it gets a lot easier. But to paraphrase a Tom Petty song, "the tracing is the hardest part". Well, the tracing followed by the drafting of the lining and facings, but that's not that bad. I'm going to use the analysis and construction of an Yves Saint Laurent jacket from Claire Shaeffer's Couture Sewing Techniques book to do the internal construction of the jacket. So that's where it stands. I may whip up a pair of shorts in the meantime. It's supposed to be 80º F later this week. I have a bunch of seersucker and some McCalls patterns that I picked up at JoAnn's last 99-cent sale. I'm thinking this will look good and be quick to make:

Maybe I'll do that while I recharge the couture mojo.

Happy sewing!

17 comments:

Myra said...

That Marfy will be beautiful, but wow, no instructions, all those pieces.

Nancy K said...

That's a whole lot of pieces! Are they well marked with matching notches at least?

Trudy said...

Wow. That sounds like a lot of work.

I'm sure it will turn out beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it.

www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

Elaray said...

I love BWOF and I've gotten used to the extra steps BWOF requires. But I don't think I'll ever do a Marfy! Tracing pieces, plus no instructions. That's a little too much for me. I don't think they come in plus sizes, anyway.

Gigi said...

I can't wait to see your progress on the jacket! That's a really cute shorts pattern - I never seem to have enough shorts.

Vivian said...

Did you see Claire Shaeffer's article on Yves St Laurent in the July _Threads_? It expands (among other things) on lapel facing construction. Can't wait to see how the jacket comes along. Cheers!

Maggie said...

Oy, I've never had the patience to learn how to assemble garments. I admire your tenacity.

Ann Made Studio said...

I'm sure all this will be worth it :)
Great shorts pattern.

gwensews said...

Challenging--but you are up to the task!

Vicki said...

Good idea to trace out directly onto the muslin. Saves one step at least.

ClaireOKC said...

I haven't tried the Marfy yet - I guess that's something in my future...will watch your future posts on this. BWOF doesn't seem like all that much work, and I hardly read instructions so maybe I'm half way there.

Pam Erny said...

Ann....the jacket will be spectacular!

Marji said...

I look forward to following your progress.
Meanwhile, shorts are easy and a good way to feel as if you accomplished something. I just made a pair yesterday, mostly because I don't have a single pair right now, but it was nice to just whip through something for a change.

cidell said...

I love seersucker shorts!

Unknown said...

Totally agree with you on the tracing being the hardest part. If the pieces came cut out with a seam allowance then they'd be golden. But since you have to add allowance it would be easier if they just came on a sheet like in Burda mags.
Good luck with the jacket!

Erica Bunker said...

I can't wait to see the Marfy! That is going to be so fabulous!

Linda T said...

I got nervous just looking at the picture of so many pieces without instructions.

I think I am at the same place ClaireOKC is at. I use instructions for reference or more accurately as a crutch. I recently challenged myself to make a dress without instructions. I need to clear off a couple projects before I start it but I look forward to the challenge.