Monday, July 13, 2009

Pattern Review - McCalls 5847 Shirt Dress


Pattern Description: From McCalls' website - "MISSES' SHIRTDRESSES IN THREE LENGTHS AND SASH: Shirtdresses A, B, C, D have princess seams, collar, topstitching, sleeve and length variations; shirtdresses A, D have patch pockets and flaps; shirtdresses A, C have self fabric sash; shirtdress C has buttoned sleeve tab and rolled up sleeves; shirtdress D has three-quarter length sleeves with self-cuff, side slits and purchased belt; shirtdress A is mid-knee length; shirtdresses B, C are 3" below mid-knee; shirtdress D is 7" above ankle."

I made View B, the short sleeved version.

Sizing: 6-22. I made a 14

Fabric Used: A really fun metallic embroidered floral that has been aging in my stash for about 4 years. Here's an up-close shot of the fabric so you can see the embroidery

Needle/Notions Used: 70/10 (Universal equivalent). Pro Weft fusible interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply. Poly core thread, 7 Buttons, 1 snap.

Did it look like the photo or drawing when you got through? Yes

How were the instructions? Excellent! This is a Palmer/Pletsch pattern. In the instructions, they include copious notes on how to adjust the pattern to fit you. It's really invaluable. I didn't really use the instructions, since I know how to do all the fitting I need anyway, but I read through them and was thoroughly impressed.

Construction Notes: I sewed all seams on my industrial sewing machine, and finished all the seams with the serger.

Any changes? I made my usual FBA. Because of that, I ended up using 7 buttons instead of the 8 they recommend. Other than that, there was really nothing that I did differently.

Likes/Dislikes: I like the look and ease of this style. One caveat is that it has more ease through the waist and hips than I was expecting from the drawings. It needs a belt or it tends to look matronly, bordering on housefrau. Fortunately, Nordstroms near me is having a huge sale right now so I'll see if I can get a belt to wear with it. I also really liked the instructions

Would you do it again? Would you recommend it? Will I do it again? Not sure. There are other patterns that I would rather sew up first. But I do recommend it heartily.

Conclusion: A well-drafted pattern with great instructions. Here's the finished product.



Parting Shot: Eddie Izzard's Death Star Canteen a la Lego
This is one of the funniest routines I've ever heard him do! Be warned, the language is not work friendly, but it is absolutely hysterical!
Death Star Canteen

Happy sewing!

12 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Love the fabric!!!

NancyDaQ said...

I see what you mean about housfrau, but it will look amazing with a belt. I think McCall's knew this too, based on how they styled the photos.

The fabric is beautiful.

Meg said...

I can see a jute belt working well with this dress. Very classic dress and style.

Nancy K said...

They do show all the versions with a belt, so I think that a belt will definitely elevate this from hausfrau to first rate. I like that the fabric is a not too sweet floral.

Cindy said...

Great fabric! Eddie Izzard is my favorite and this is one of his best routines! I adore him.

AuntieAllyn said...

Lovely dress . . . I'd kill for the fabric!! I vote "yes" for the belt.

gwensews said...

What a great shirtwaist! Beautiful fabric. Belt--yes.

Little Hunting Creek said...

I'd like a thin gold belt...or a jute one like Lindsay T suggests. I love that fabric

Summerset said...

Yes, a belt would be just the right touch - great dress, though!

Jackie O. Stitches said...

good looking dress, love the fabric.

Gigi said...

I love it! The fabric is just perfect.

Pam Erny said...

How great is this dress ! The fabric is wonderful and the style is so sharp. Yes, a belt of Jute (as Lindsay suggested)or braided hemp, etc..will be a perfect accent.

But even without a belt...I doubt anyone would ever describe you as "matronly" :)