Thursday, August 06, 2009

It. Is. Alive!

After three days of coughing up a lung and running a constant 100.2 fever I finally hauled my sorry carcass to the doctor's office this morning. Greeting me the minute I walked in the door was a large sign saying "If you have a fever and/or cough, please inform the receptionist so we can give you a mask." I pointed to the sign and said, "Yah, that's me." So I got to sit there for 5 minutes looking like a quarantined tourist, with everyone around me sidling away and giving me looks like I had just come down with a roaring case of leprosy. I was wryly amused.

The good news is that it's not flu of any kind. The better news is that it's not pneumonia. I had that when DS the younger was a baby. It felt just like I've been feeling all week and the antibiotics were pretty brutal. The doc gave me some heavy duty cough medicine so I can sleep at night and sent me on my way.

So while I have been spending time at home this week, I did have the chance to start looking at fall wardrobe options. I'm debating on making a new coat. I don't have a really heavy winter coat, and I'm thinking of this one from the Burda August issue:

The sleeves are a little problematic for winters in Boston. I'll probably lengthen them and do bellows lining. And when I do, I'll do a tutorial. Stay tuned.

I also put a bunch of fabrics on sale over at Gorgeous Fabrics, and I'll be putting more up this weekend. Plus, I have a boatload of new fabrics that have been going up all week. And more are coming so keep an eye out.

Happy sewing!

13 comments:

Carol said...

I was just looking at your sale knits and my eye keeps coming back to the black/tan/gold doubleknit fabric but I've never known quite what to do with it, so I never actually buy it. Lo and behold, I come here and see this coat and that fabric would be perfect (at least in my eye). Why do I keep making coats when I live in the subtropics???? I can't wait to see what you make this up in.

Nancy K said...

Great coat. I don't know what you mean by bellows lining, so I am looking forward to learning what it is. But, yeah what do we do with short sleeves like that? I looked for long leather gloves, but most of them that I could afford weren't lined. Not exactly warm. It's cheaper to make the sleeves longer.

JoanneM said...

LOVE this coat. I agree with Nancy K, those sleeves are pretty useless even in Mpls here. I think in a novelty tweed it would be lovely. I am also looking forward to the bellows lining tutorial.

AuntieAllyn said...

Oooooh, I love this coat, too . . . can't wait to see your version! Glad to hear you're on the mend . . . those types of ailments can really drag you down!

Julia said...

I love the coat pattern. What fabric will you use?
I;m glad you are recovering and that it wasn't flu or pneumonia!

McVal said...

I hope the meds are making you feel better.
Love the coat! Can wait for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

That coat is awesome! I can't wait for your tutorial. I hope you offer us a similar fabric.:-)

Lauren Reeser said...

Beautiful coat! I love the oversized houndstooth - it's definitely got a 50s feel to it.

Karla said...

I wish I needed coats. I love them. I look forward to living vicariously through you and your coat.

Anonymous said...

Leave it to Burda to design such a fantastic coat!

Glad you're feeling better and had a nice vaca. Finally some summer weather here in NE, eh?

:)S

phyllis said...

That's a great coat Ann and I'm glad you're on the mend! A few years ago Threads did a super article (by Linda MacPhee I think but don't quote me) on modifying a coat pattern for extra cold weather warmth. It had all kinds of great ideas: bellows sleeves, a hip stay to keep out drafts, an interlinig to cut the wind etc, really great stuff.

Anonymous said...

I love this coat. Does the waist cinch in or does it just look that way because the model is holding it in with her hands?

Anonymous said...

I love love this coat! You can always get long gloves. Just a fab coat.