I spent all today in the studio/classroom (aka the "Atelier" - ha!) and made curtains for the two biggest windows in the family room. Sorry for the not-so-great picture. We left my good camera at my sister's at Thanksgiving and DH took this picture with his phone while I was working at the studio on the other set. I have two other windows left; I hope to finish them tomorrow. They are the same size, so it should be pretty easy.
These are simple tab-top curtains, lined with flannel for warmth. The wind is whipping here in Boston today, and we run the Christmas lights through the bay window, so it will be nice to pull the curtains closed and keep the cold out. There isn't much to these. Having an industrial sewing machine is a godsend when you make curtains, because it cruises at lightning speed on straight seams. The only construction notes for you are regarding the measurements. I use 2 inch double fold hems, and I sew the lining to the top of the curtains with a one-inch seam. I spent more time pressing the curtains than I did actually sewing them. I do find that pressing as you go makes a huge difference. Don't wait until your curtains are done. Press each seam as you sew it for best results.
Tomorrow I'll be up at the "Atelier" finishing the last of the curtains. Then it's time to clean clean clean! 12 people will be descending on my classroom for Susan's class on Friday and it looks like a thread and fabric bomb exploded in there. Yikes!
Happy sewing!
4 days ago

9 comments:
the curtains look great! Enjoy your sit and sew with Susan. The creative energy that flows is so much fun and motivating.
Great looking curtains!
This fabric (or the original design) is, I think, by Collier and Campbell. Susan Collier designed many of the Tana Lawn patterns for Liberty of London from the 1960s. She was later joined by her sister Sarah Campbell and formed Collier Campbell. A hallmark of their designs are lattice motifs, exotic references and slightly off-key colourways which is such a strong English tradition (Rowan Yarns, Jaeger, Liberty). They were pioneers in English pattern design. So, in addition to lovely curtains, I think you may have a piece of recent, but important textile history hanging
Wow Susan, thanks for that! I checked to selvage, which sure enough says "Cote d'Azur, Collier Campbell". I had no idea when I bought the bolt. I just liked it for the website, then I brought the header home to scan and fell in love with it in my family room! That is very cool information. Thanks again!
So pretty, Ann! I need to make some curtains too but I've been putting it off for months.
Yes! Collier and Campbell! Thanks Susan. I knew it looked familiar and the name was on the tip of my tongue. I've always loved the retro colors in their patterns (especially that Jadeite green)
"...it looks like a thread and fabric bomb exploded in there."
Mine's like that too. I look at it as a sign of great creativity on my students and my part. And then I clean it up. Ugh!
Lookin' good!
...happy cleaning ;)
Curtains technically aren't difficult sewing, however, it's hard work! Well done - they look very cheery!
Post a Comment