Sunday, December 20, 2009

Pattern Review - Jalie 2682 V-neck Top

Yesterday I mistakenly identified the Jalie pattern I planned to make for my niece. This is the one I really was planning to use. It's better suited for the fabric. So here you go...


Pattern Description: From Jalie's website, "Stylish V-neck top, raised neckline at back, with or without sleeves." I made View A with long sleeves.

Sizing: All sizes are included in the pattern. My niece is a size 6-8 petite, so I made a size T in Jalie's sizing.

Fabric Used: Fabulously Cozy Cotton Sweater Knit - Heathered Gray from Gorgeous Fabrics. I love this knit. It's almost got a berber-y feel to it on the face, and the backing is nice and soft in its finish, so you can wear it right next to your skin.

Needle/Notions Used: Stretch 75/11 needle. Metrosene polyester thread.

Did it look like the photo or drawing when you got through? Yes

How were the instructions? They were just fine. I had made the sleeveless version of this top for myself a couple of summers ago, so I didn't really need them. This pattern goes together beautifully.

Construction Notes: Because of the innate bulk of this fabric, I decided not to do it Jalie's way, which is to use two layers of the fabric in the upper bodice. One layer is the outer shell and the other is the self-facing. Instead, I just used one layer. I cut the front in two pieces instead of one piece on the fold. I sewed up the center seam with a 1/4 inch seam and turned the neckline edge under and stitched it down, as you can see here.

I serged all the other seams, and turned up the hems and finished them with a 1.0mm wide, 3.0mm length zigzag stitch.

Likes/Dislikes: I think this is a cute, casual top. She lives in Montana, and this will be good for wearing to school. I like the lines of the top. As I say, it's really well drafted. It sewed up in less than an hour, while I was listening to the second half of the Pats/Bills game on the radio (Yay Pats! Sorry Pam)

No dislikes at all.

Would you do it again? Would you recommend it? You bet to both.

Conclusion: It's comfortable, cute and a winner. I think she'll like it! Here are pictures of the front and back. 



Happy sewing!

21 comments:

KID, MD said...

Looks great, and I LOVE that fabric! :-) I've been kvetching about this pattern, but I think I need it after all. Thanks!!

Unknown said...

Ooooohh! Love the pattern and the fabric! What a lucky niece!!!

Myra said...

Really nice top, Ann. I don't have that pattern, probably another one to look into.

Julie said...

That top looks so comfy! I'm sure she'll love it.

a little sewing said...

oh, you make sewing look so easy!

Kathi said...

The shirt is beautiful!! This is one of my favorite patterns - I have made it several times now!!

gwensews said...

I like the neckline of that top. It's a winner!

Sally D said...

I am responding to an earlier post. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Nov 2005.I know what a scary road this can be. If I can be of any assistance to you then please let me know.

Summerset said...

Cozy and cute, you can't go wrong with a Jalie pattern and good fabric!

Ann Made Studio said...

Very nice top. She'll love it!

Liana said...

My comment either disappeared, or just got chopped off. If this is a duplicate, just dump it.

It really looks great, and I can't wait to get my pattern out and make one. Perfect for this weather!

Stash said...

I love that. Really pretty.

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

nice top Ann. My best wishes to you and yours in the Christmas holidays. Hugs...!!!!, Paco

Bunny said...

Love that back view! Great top!

Anonymous said...

Today it is 10 years since I spent 6 or 8 hours in the operating room as I was sliced and diced for breast cancer. I was under 50, two small children, no abdominal fat ( so no easy answer for breast reconstruction, etc. etc.). The worst timing of the year is surgery or diagnosis in December but you will survive and you will be stronger. Pissed off and mad as hell but stronger and wiser. It sucks, it ain't fair and that's life in a nutshell. Good luck and I am sure you will be okay. Just trust your gut reactions and not medical opinions. If something doesn't feel right, get a second opinion.

PepperToast said...

Ann, thank you for featuring this fabric on your blog. I have some of the same fabric all washed and ready to go but it is sooooooo cozy I have been very careful about what I make with it. I love that Jalie top!

Thanks again and I have added you in my prayers.

Vicki said...

Looks cosy and warm. And a really nice shape too. I hope you and your family have a peaceful Christmas and enjoy the snow!

Karen said...

The top is adorable, the fabric is great (I'd almost talked myself out of ordering some, but now maybe not), but most importantly, take care of yourself. Add mine to all the other good wishes that have been flowing your way.

My best friend went through this about a year and a half ago, and her attitude was very similar to yours. BTW, she said the cause sucked, but she does highly recommend the early and abrupt menopause.

Happiest of holidays to you and yours.

amber said...

Fabulous top - I want it in my closet!

Pam Erny said...

Thank-you Ann !

I bought some of this fabric from you and have been trying to decide between a few styles...I really like this Jalie style in this fabric :)
Decision made !

Maja said...

Wonderful top Ann, the fabric is just perfect.