Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What is it About Chicago?

 Image: Vicon

Here's an interesting tidbit. Based on some highly unscientific number crunching I have been doing recently, I find that the Windy City has more sewing enthusiasts than any other individual city. How very Kewl! It's also a little surprising. I would have thought New York would easily be the leader in that area, thanks to the Garment District, or perhaps Seattle, thanks to the plethora of sewing schools and experts out there. But nope. Chicago is head and shoulders above any other city. So - Chicago sewistas, why is this? You are one stylish city, we all know that. Is there some gelling factor (a sewing school or similar) that makes Chicago such a mecca for personalized fabulosity? I ask this without any irony. I really want to know!

Happy sewing!

7 comments:

Catherine said...

Yay Chicago! Having lived here for over 5 years now I think there are two main reasons why my sewing has taken off: availability of materials and crappy weather more than half of the year.

Between the big box stores, hometown fave Vogue, a ridiculous fabric warehouse on the southside, and many other shops I have yet to explore, I think the opportunity for finding and stashing cool fabrics, notions, and whatnots is pretty high. If all that fails, there's always something at Gorgeous Fabrics. :) Having the materials available always helps me get going on projects.

And then there's the weather. Seriously, when it's snowy/cold/raining/gray/windy more than 6 months out of the year, what better way to pass the day inside than with your sewing machine(s)?

Carisa said...

I used to live in Chicago too and I agree with Catherine that I attribute it to two things, A: Vogue Fabrics (hello cheap but awesome fabric!) and B: the weather is is really harsh during winter and summer and weak havoc on clothing. Although, I made a white jacket once for a friend and she wore it almost every day for 3 years in Chicago, and it never got ruined or dirty, a mystery to this day.

But now I live in Seattle! And there are A LOT of sewers, but they are greatly outnumbered by quilters and knitters in my opinion :-).

How did you do your number crunching research?

Mary Beth said...

I'd say Vogue Fabrics is a big factor in the number of Chicago sewing enthusiasts....with the sheer number of reasonably-priced fabrics, classes, demos....it's hard to contemplate living anywhere else in the U.S.

deb said...

I have to represent the northwest suburbs here and say, Vogue is fantastic if you live close enough to benefit from the class times, but for those who work full-time out here in the suburbs, Vogue is far to benefit much. To travel there or any fabric store in the city on weekends is really a commitment of time, not just an errand. I also notice the distinct lack of a Chicagoland sewing community on PR, but perhaps that's because one revolves around Vogue? I have yet to find anyone in my neighborhood or at work who sews. But there is a group of women who gather to knit at a shop in Long Grove, and surely other yarn shops around. I think it helps build "community" when there is a physical place to go and gather. When I lived in the Twin Cities, a colleague there rented a small studio in St Paul an old building full of artists & crafters renting studios instead of having hobby rooms or businesses in their homes. I fantasize about a place like that, so cool!!

Sandra said...

Talk about timing...the latest Vogue Patterns magazine has an article about Chicago's fabric stores. Wow! I am so jealous.

I'm surprised Ann that you think Seattle would have a lot of sewing enthusiasts. I live in the Seattle area, and to me finding good quality apparel fabric at a reasonable price is a challenge.

I agree with Carisa - the quilters here have it made! Every "fabric" store is full of bolts of quilting cottons. To get fashion fabrics like silks, wools, or prints you either have to go to Portland, or go online (which is why I LOVE Gorgeous Fabrics!).

JustGail said...

I did not know that about Chicago and sewing. The weather and fabric stores are a good thought. Although I wonder if it might be related to past fashion patterns? In the past, trends usually started on the coasts and moved inward. So if someone in the middle of the country wanted to be on the cutting edge of fashion trends, they had to either go to the coasts to buy, or make it themselves. With the internet, this doesn't hold true any longer, we can just make a few clicks of the mouse, and have it in a few days.

As far as the number of fabric stores, I wonder if it's a case of the stores are there because the sewing enthusiasts are there, and the sewing enthusiasts are there because the fabric stores are there. Or they are there because it's in the middle of the country, therefore shipping time/costs average out lower? What about the difference (if any) of wages/rent etc.

Shoot, now I've got more questions than I started with.

Sandra - thanks for the note about Chicago fabric stores in the Vogue Patterns magazine - I'll have to pick it up. One of these days, I'll get up the courage to make a day/weekend trip to Vogue fabrics. If they ever get the train from Chicago to Davenport, I'm there!

Chicago Sarah said...

Hmm, I sewed before I moved to Chicago. But...with the longer seasons it's easier to start a winter skirt in January, finish it in March, and have several cool weather days to wear it in April. Or maybe it _is_ the weather.

I like Vogue but still shop online most of the time (my shopping hours tend to be off), I think it's more the fun of walking Michigan Ave to get ideas and then making it up ourselves!

And, the Chicago city area has two ASG neighborhood chapters- not sure if that is because of or the cause of all the sewing people!