Saturday, July 03, 2010

Current Project - Vogue 2532 Shorts

I really need shorts for summer, and I was going to trace a pair from the June Burda magazine, but I realized that I just don't like tracing patterns. Especially not patterns that are pretty much garden-variety. Am I the only one who finds the idea of tracing patterns off those sheets unappetizing? It's really a buzzkill for me and sewing. Then I thought about using a free download shorts pattern, but again - it's pretty much a garden variety pattern of shorts, so the already-limited appeal of printing it out and taping a bazillion pieces of paper together evaporated completely.

So instead, I'm making a pair of shorts from Vogue 2532, a Vogue Basic Design pattern that is a shorts/pants pattern in 5 different lengths. I'm making a pair that's halfway between view A and View B. Mine will end about mid-thigh.

I'm making it from this (sold out, sorry) stretch cotton from Gorgeous Fabrics.

I cut it out today and it's about three-quarters of the way done. I still have to apply the waistband and hem it. Hopefully I'll have it done tomorrow. I think I'll make a tank top to go with it from some blue rayon jersey I have in my stash. I'll review it once it's finished.

Happy sewing!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't mind tracing the patterns, what I hate is adding seam allowances! I agree, no reason for a basic pattern. I like that pattern - very classic looking!

Beth said...

Ann, I feel the same way about tracing off patterns, it kills my sewing mojo faster than anything. Must by why my pattern drawers are overflowing with the Big 4.
Have a very safe and happy
4TH of July.

Rose said...

I finally got used to tracing Burda Magazine patterns and, recently, they reduced the patterns to one sheet. Now, it's become such a challenge! Pretty fabric!! I must have missed that one, but I have plenty of others:).

Nancy K said...

I don't mind tracing. I was having dinner with 6 other sewing bloggers last fall and was asked, did I trace envelope patterns. Hell no! But some sewers do. I always see sewing with Vogue as a break from tracing.

Gay McDonell said...

Tracing isn't much fun - but it is usually quite economical and the design has to warrant it. Love that fabric!

Anonymous said...

Tried tracing--just don't like it!
I would for a special pattern.

Happy , safe, 4th. Keep the light of freedom burning!

Maureen

MushyWear said...

I despise tracing patterns and adding seam allowances! I usually have to do it one day and then wait until the next to start cutting out and sewing. I think your shorts are going to be fun and perfect for summer and your vacation.

AuntieAllyn said...

Ooooh ooooh ooooh, I do love that fabric (I think I have some of it, or maybe in the pink colorway). Those shorts will look just fabulous on the beach in Hawaii! As for tracing patterns, yuck!!! By the time I finish figuring out and tracing a Burda pattern, I've usually lost interest in the garment.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

No you are not the only one that thinks tracing those patterns out is just a little toooo much! I own 12 years of Burda magazine patterns and have made exactly 1 garment from them...but they offer great fashion inspiration! *LOL*

These are going to be great shorts, can't wait to see them on you!

Angela said...

Hehe.. I wasn't much of a tracer, but it's starting to grow on me. I really need some shorts as well. Yours are going to be fabulous!