Friday, December 01, 2006

Short and Sweet - Curtains for the Kids

Since I was pretty pooped today thanks to post-parabolic peter-out, I decided to tackle a project that doesn't tax me too much. We painted the kids' bedroom this summer, and they have been after me since then to make them curtains. I bought some inexpensive striped cotton at JoAnn Fabrics and whipped up a pair.


As a general rule, I don't really enjoy home dec sewing. I do it for clients, and I charge a lot for it, but it's not as interesting to me as, say making an evening gown or other clothing. But the plus side to sewing home dec is that it is pure geometry. Fitting is almost never an issue, except for slipcovers. I've made slipcovers. I liken them to the time I accidentally ate lamb's brains in Paris - I can now say I have done it, and I don't need to do it again. Ever. BTW, if you go to Paris and happen to go to dinner at some lovely neighborhood spot in the 17th Arrondissement, and see "Salade D'Hiver avec Cervelles D'Agneau" on the menu, take a pass. Trust me. But I digress....

Back to the curtains. They quite literally took me under two hours from cutting table to curtain rod. The window measures 36 inches across. My fabric was 45 inches wide. So I cut two panels to length, sewed an attached valance at the top, ran the whole thing through the Juki and then pressed and hung them. It's definitely not couture, but my eldest son gave me a big hug and a thank you when he saw them after school. That made my day!

Another view, from the door:


Happy sewing!

3 comments:

Summerset said...

They're simple and look great. Every once in a while a simple geometry project isn't a bad thing!

Anonymous said...

hello ann

i have been admiring how you managed to match the stripes across the 'meet' with these curtains. when i last attempted this my jaws ached from the nashing of teeth. i don't find geometry that easy to do in a medium other that H pencil, ruler & compass & paper.
best wishes

ruth

Lorna said...

Are these a rod pocket, Ann? I really have to get my son's done soon ... maybe over the holidays?