I have a fun tool on my blog. It allows me to see where people who visit my blog are located. I love it, because it introduces me to parts of the world where I have never traveled, and let's my imagination take flight. I'll admit that I am pretty jaded. I've traveled enough in my business pursuits and in my personal life that I can be pretty blasé about a lot of locations. But that doesn't mean that they are any less wonderful, and that I enjoy visiting them any less. Kansas City? Love it. It will live on in my heart for being the very first place I ever went on a business trip. And it was a great learning experience. I took a look at the map (I was 23 at the time), and thought, "It's south of Boston, it'll be warmer in the winter, right?" Wrong. My clients felt so badly for my underdressed self that they took me to the big beautiful mall there and bought me a hat and gloves!
And I've been to a lot more 'exotic' places, but there appear on my tracker some places that just have a wonderful appeal. I see the names of them, and they fill me with wonder about what they must be like, and how wonderful it is that the Internet allows folks from such disparate parts of the world as Kabul, UAE, Sao Paolo, Fukuoka, Aukland and Wellington, Manning, Victoria, Beijing... the list goes on, and it's really fascinating and fun that people from all over the world are able to 'meet'.
I'm going to probably embarrass someone here, and I apologize in advance for it. There's one regular visitor (and please don't stop visiting!) from a place that just really tugs me. It's in New Zealand, and it's a city called Porirua. What a beautiful name! I looked it up, and there is a website for the city. It's such a poetic name, and I'm really tickled every time it shows up on my blog stats. Some day I want to go there, just so I can learn how it's pronounced (I use a rather Italianate way to pronounce it, rolling the r's to make it trip off the tongue better)
So where are you from? You all know I'm here in the Boston area. Burlington, to be precise (hello, Burlington, Newfoundland, BTW!) Give a shout out, and welcome! Oh, and you don't have to be far flung, just say hi! From Maine to Hawaii and beyond, you're all wonderful and welcome.
Happy visiting!
6 days ago
38 comments:
I'm in Bradenton, Florida.
Albuquerque, New Mexico!
Huntsville, Alabama... (AKA The Rocket City) :D
I love your blog! I'm in the Monterey/Carmel area of CA. I also am fascinated with visiting new areas.
Daenischenhagen, Schleswig-Holstein ( that the state within Germany) close to the Danish border ( within 1 hours) between 2 seas ( baltic sea - 3 minutes by car ) northern sea 1,5 hours by car
Well, you already know I'm in Dunedin, New Zealand. (Which is in the South Island) By coincidence, I was talking to my opposite number from work in Porirua (In the North Island), just yesterday! It's pronounced Poh-ree-roo-ah, with emphasis on the first syllable. (I can't remember how to indicate that). If you can roll your r's, well done! It's a Maori name. (Maori were the first people to inhabit New Zealand) You sure do have a wide-ranging readership!
Aveiro, Portugal but I believe you see it as Lisboa, Portugal (that's where se ISP is located)! Have a great day, Ann!
I'm from a small city (about 35 000 inhabitants) called Kranj located in the North-Western part of Slovenia, Europe.
This is cool. I'm from New Jersey. Could that be the least exciting place in the world? Oh well, at least it's near New York and Philly.
Right now I'm on the 9th floor looking out over the industrial landscape of North east Birmingham, West Midlands UK. That's where I spend my working week. And tomorrow I'll be back in urban but leafy Hampstead, North West London. Come to London one day and we'll go to the opera!
I'm reading your blog in Washington DC, arguably one of the worst dressed cities in America (on the boring scale anyway). But, hey, we have G Street Fabrics here. Thank God!
Zürich Switzerland. I like your Cosmopolitan dress by the way. I am really tempted to get the pattern.
Sugar Land,TX a suburb of Houston. Love your voice, please post more songs. Thanks for the tutorials. Veronica
milwaukee, WI -- A Great Place on a Great Lake. :)
Currently on top of a hill in Cartersville, GA, overlooking the beautiful Etowah River:)
Ann, I love KC, too. Too bad Cy's is no longer there....a real treasure fabric store, it was!
Hi from Goodlettsville, TN (about four miles north of Nashville). Nancy, I was born in Albequerque--1944; Daddy was in the Army Air Corp. Mammafitz, I grew up in Deckerville, MI on the Lake Huron side of the state. Do you have a little bit of "lake snobbery" too?
Paris, France, where it's wonderfully sunny today :)
Naples, FL during the winter
Providence, RI summer and fall
Boston born and raised and loyal!
Springdale, AR to finish up an academic dream and adventure. We'll be off to Seattle, WA this August (which is home to my husband and I -- our two teenaged boys know Arkansas as home) for the next of life's eras! Love your blog Ann!
I live in the Sonoma valley in Northern California, also known as "the Valley of the Moon" a name given to this area by Jack London who lived here. We are surrounded by vineyards. I love it here! Your blog is one of the first things I read each morning. Thank you.
I'm in Minnesota, looking out the window at our second foot-plus snowfall in two weeks! I love your blog--I followed you here from the PR site.
I'm in Mobile, Alabama. I also followed you here from the PR site. I really enjoy your blog.
I'm from CT, otherwise know as the state you have to drive through to get from Boston to NYC. I always love to see what new places pop up on my blog too! kind of like collecting, I guess?
Reading your blog from lovely Snohomish, Washington (USA) where I'm currently digging out from 10 inches of snow that arrived night before last. Snohomish is about 25 miles northwest of Seattle, Wa. I'm in suburbia, bordering farmlands. Housing is booming out here. I love it - about 99% of the time.
Omaha, Nebraska.
Under 10" of new snow.
Mermie
Phoenix, Arizona!
It's hot in the Summer, but (all together now) it's a dry heat!
Oslo, Norway (Hi Tini!)Really like your blog. Vibeke
Hey there Ann,
I'm reading it in Helsinki, the capital of Finland. Waiting for the winter go by, since it ain't proper, I don't mind having it at all, LOL!!!
Reading today from work in Asheville, NC; weekends from home in Burnsville NC. I enjoy your blog, you have a great following.
Susan
Hi Ann,
I am in Donostia-San Sebastian near to where Balencia was born. I put you a link to the page of Cristobal Balenciaga Foundation. I hope you like it
http://www.fundacionbalenciaga.com/ingles/index-i.html
Arantxa
Hi from Gibraltar, a tiny scrap of land hanging off the bottom of Spain and dividing the Atlantic from the Mediterranean. Weather here has been fabulous for the past few days, but winter isn't over yet and we can't count on summer until the end of May. Gibraltar is too small for much, but we do have a good dress fabric shop, Princess Silks on Main Street. So if your cruise docks here, don't go so mad on the duty frees that you can't buy a few metres to set your imagination soaring.
Hi Ann,
I readyour blog on the Front range of the Rockies! Fort Coolins, CO. Its a must read! Thanks,
Maureen
Hi again--that's Fort Collins, CO!
Love that Cosmopolitan dress!
Maureen
I am so thrilled that you all read this blog! It's so much fun to hear where you're from! I'm going to answer the ones that I've been to, but that is no slight to the places I have yet to visit. It gives me an itinerary!
Lisa, I worked with NASA Marshall back in the 80s. I remember being there once when they had the shuttle hanging off the "Salt and Pepper Shaker". It was something to see, I'll tell you!
Jeanette, the most romantic meal I ever had was in Carmel at a little place called Shabu Shabu. I'm sure it's long gone now. That was back right after I graduated college. I was with my then-boyfriend, now-husband of almost 22 years. I remember driving down the Pacific Coast Highway and it was foggy out, the artichoke fields were in bloom and the sea lions were barking on the beach below us. It was wonderful.
Krinn, I've had some wild times in Jersey. I'm sitting here laughing about several of them. Jersey's not boring, just underrated!
Anne Frances, I'll go to Covent Garden with you any day! I love London!
Emily, my DH grew up in Rockville, right near G Street. I make a pilgrimage there whenever I visit my DFIL. You're right about the dressing there. But have you ever seen Harriet Rogers' reviews at PR? She's fabulous, and in the heart of DC
Zurich! Chocolate and cottons. Oh yes, and spectactular scenery. Is there anything not to love???? (get the pattern, BTW, you won't be disappointed)
Mamafitz, one of my clients was Rival cookware. I went to lunch at a wonderful restaurant in Milwaukee (in January, and it was ccccccold!), where I was talking with my colleagues about the movie, "Auntie Mame", and our waiter, who looked like, well, he'd seen it many times, blurted out, "I just LOVE that movie!" :) He and I hit it off great, as you might imagine.
Isabelle.... le sigh! I desperately want to go back to Paris.
Fran G, let's get together when you migrate back up north!
Carol, I love Sonoma! I used to work for a company that was based in Sunnyvale, and when I had to go to the home office (this was pre-kids), my boss and I had a deal that I would stay Saturday to get the cheap fares, and he would pick up my car (convertible, natch) and hotel. I spent many, many weekends in Sonoma, and Napa too.
Lisette, I'll stop by and pick you up on my next trip. But you do have Banksville in CT...
Suzy, hullo Phoenix! Actually, I used to work in Tempe - Motorola was one of my clients. There was a great restaurant there called Los Dos Molinos. I wonder if it's still around? Probably not. It was a long time ago.
Fabricluvr, I've only been to Asheville once, and I can't remember the name of the company I was calling on at the time, but one of my dear friends relocated there from New York City and is very active in the theater scene there.
Maureen, I worked for a company (before the Sunnyvale one) that was based in Boulder. I know Ft. Collins well!
Okay, but there are lots more places I haven't gone (Dunedin, Gibraltar, Donostia-San Sebastian, Bradenton, and AR outside of Bentonville). I want to win the lottery so I can go see where you all are!
This is so fun, please keep those cards and letters coming!
Hi,
I am from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. I am a big fan of your site.
You know where I'm from - you have my address! Good old Northfield, NH of course.
Victoria-by-the-Sea, Prince Edward Island, Canada
Wonderful in the summer, freezing in the winter it was -31 with the wind chill today!
Sorry to disapoint you, but Porirua, despite its beautiful name, is not a very pleasant place - crime, drugs and violent gangs are rampant. Do a search for "Porirua" on goole news and you will see that most stories related to gangs and drugs!
Post a Comment