Thursday, May 17, 2007

My BFF's Cosmo is done!



Alright! It's only exactly 3 months late, but Barbara's birthday present is complete! I made her a HP Cosmopolitan dress using a groovy knit from Gorgeous Fabrics (sorry to be a tease, but that one sold out within 3 days of my listing it). She's coming over this weekend to pick it up. I think she'll be pleased with it. I am!

One thing I did differently with this version than the others I have made is that I eliminated the back seams and cut all the back pieces on the fold. This made the dress go together so quickly! You can do this if a- you have a very stretchy knit like this jersey, or b-if you have a less stretchy knit or a woven and you use a side zipper application. It's nice because it will give you an unbroken line across the back.

One other thing to note here is that I originally cut this dress with the long skirt, since Barb is 4 inches taller than I am. It was really, really long! Even on her it would be almost to the floor. Before I hemmed it, I cut the skirt down by a foot. So keep that in mind when you're cutting. If you want a longer skirt, you might want to cut halfway between the shorter length and the longer one.

Maybe I'll make a pitcher of Cosmos to serve when she comes over.

Happy Sewing!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew Barbara was the lucky recipiant! She'll love it Ann. Phyllis

dawn said...

It's beautiful! How do you ever get things done up so fast???

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Do we get to see a pic of Barbara in her new dress?

Kitty Couture said...

Another gorgeous dress!

Vic said...

Fabulous! Wish I had time to sew. I do, actually, if I could just ween myself off the Net.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Might start on my Cha Cha Cha dress in that fabric this weekend!