Thursday, May 17, 2007

Pattern Review - New Look 6521 Top

Since I finished Barb's Cosmopolitan Dress early today, and since I had a little time on my hands, I decided to dig into some of the silk jersey I bought at Rosen & Chadick when I was there with Gigi and Phyllis in January. Because it was so dear, I only bought 1 1/2 yards of it, so I cast about in my pattern stash to see what kind of sleeveless or short sleeved pattern I had lurking about. This one presented itself to me, and it reminded me of a favorite Nanette Lepore top I bought about 5 years ago and which I still wear. So, let's pull it out and have at it!

Description: Misses sleeveless top with tie detail at shoulders, wrap top, capris and pants. All sizes (8-18) are included.

What did you like/dislike about the pattern? I liked the lines of the top. As I said, it's reminiscent of one I paid a lot of money for at Wish on Charles Street several years back. It's a very easy pattern - 3 pieces (front/back/neckline). This is not a dislike, but it is worth noting that the top is lower cut than it appears from the line drawings.

Fabric used: Silk jersey print that I bought at Rosen & Chadick in New York City.

Any alterations? I did a FBA. I also inserted the neckband using my serger, and I think the differential feed was a little off, because it stretched out a bit as you can see. I think I will be able to fix it, and on me it's not as noticeable as it is on my dummy Sharona. One other thing I did differently was with the shoulder gathers. The instructions have you use lengths of store-bought ribbon. Instead, I opted to do what Nanette Lepore did and I made narrow bias tubes of silk jersey instead. I think it looks better that way.

How were the instructions? Easy-peasy. Really, they are quite clear, and very beginner friendly.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it? Yes to both. I have this same print in pinks, and I think I'll make it up using this pattern.

Conclusion: A real winner! Oh yes, here's the top:


Happy sewing!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Hope you are feeling better by now. Love the top. The fabric is beautiful. Lucky friend to get such a pretty dress.

Maureen

dawn said...

It's gorgeous, and the self-fabric tubes was a much better choice than ribbon. How is it working with silk jersey?

On my screen it looks like there is some kind of picot edging around the neckline?

Anonymous said...

Georgeous silk jersey.
Els

Unknown said...

I've made the wrap top (3 times!) and the cropped pants. I really like this pattern too. It's very easy, and depending on the fabric, you can dress it up or down.

Vic said...

Those wrap tops are so flattering on those of us who love our food. Great pattern.

Anonymous said...

I'm having a terrible time with wrap tops or dresses. They simply gape and expose my bra. I'm a normal size on the small busted side but I have sewn for years and can't seem to get a handle on this fit.Any suggestions.