Thursday, January 03, 2008

Back at It Today

Wow, what a crazed week it has been. Today, though, I'm heading back into the sewing room. I'm going to make the muslin for the GoPatterns LBD (4001). But here's a thought, and I'd love your feedback. I was thinking of making it á la Chanel - i.e. make the bodice from a silk, and make a jacket (which I plan to make for a series of posts over on BeSewStylish.com) lined with the same silk I use for the bodice.

What do you think? I worry about two things: one, that it's a bit too 'precious', and two, that it's a look that ages the wearer, ie. me.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this look and don't think it would age you.It reminds of beautiful suits from the 50s and 60s.Eithne

Anonymous said...

OK - here's my suggestion, which does the "cake and eat it too" duty:
Make the dress all out of the same material.
Make a separate bodice - maybe even make it a little bit different in terms of a slightly higher neckline, a collar, a tie or something like that. Have it button up the back or do something creative for the front.
Make the jacket a la Chanel - and line it with the same fabric as the "popover" bodice.
That way, you get two outfits out of it - maybe even three if you want to wear the dress with the "popover" by itself.

Anonymous said...

Ann, I think with your eye for color, detail, and style, you will "make it work" beautifully! Go for it.

Christina said...

What? I never would have thought of that look as "aging the wearer". It's a level of coordination that is rare these days. I say go for it :)

Little Hunting Creek said...

That sounds beautiful! How can looking like a million bucks age anyone? Kathleen

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Pshaw...classics never age anyone! Just remember to add "you" to the garment and you will be fine...but I have to admit that my heart stopped there for just a minute when you said that you were going to do an ala Chanel. Please, please, please, I'm begging here! That way I can follow behind you picking up crumbs for an idea that's been floating around in my head for a minute! *LOL*

Summerset said...

I think the Chanel idea is a wonderful one! I don't think it will give you the "old ladies who lunch look". If anything, you'll pull it off with style.

Anonymous said...

It all depends on the details and the fabrics used. I think that there are plenty of examples of mixing fabrics out there that work well. The dress is lovely what jacket are you thinking of to go with it?

Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea Ann! It owudl be a perfect Easter suit. Many times on the real thing there is a transition of some kind between the blouse bodice and the attached skirt, and also sometimes (in the vintage suits) there are faux removable cuffs for the jacket. For a more Lagerfeldish Chanel you could maybe use the HP Miss Moneypenny Jacket.

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Ann .- you have to do what you say regarding the jacket "chanel." The silk lining same to the blouse was always used by Coco Chanel and now this aspect provides a "vintage" so fashionable. A big hug from Barcelona. Paco (I hope you understand my awful translation)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others, this will be wonderful and classic on you, not aging at all. And as for the too precious? Well, maybe if you made matching rhumba panties too! LOL :)

SherryV

Anonymous said...

omg you're going to love that Go Patterns dress - it's way more work than it looks like from the line drawings, but I'm absolutely in love with mine. Honestly, it's the dress I find myself pulling out for every location and then thinking "oh wait, I wore that last time I saw them!".

On that count, I'd say to make sure the dress will work on its own and not just with the jacket - you're halving your wear possibilities if you can only wear it as part of a combo.