Thursday, January 03, 2008

Here's the Deal, Neil

Okay! I got precious little done on my muslin today. Work, you know? Tonight I'll get it cut out when DH is home and I can foist the kids off on him have him help the kids with their homework. But I did decide on which fabrics to use for the dress/jacket combo. Here they are.

For the skirt and jacket shell,

Just Shoot Me Italian Bouclé
Oh man, that bouclé is fabulous, and I can't wait to cut into it.

For the bodice and the jacket lining,

Silk Crepe in Soft Pink
It's less saturated than it looks on my monitor, and it picks up the pinks in the bouclé perfectly. Next question is what jacket pattern to use? GoPatterns 4001 is a given for the dress. After conferring with Sewing Diva Phyllis, I think a close-to-the-body look will work best, and not look frumpy. I want something that doesn't come down too far on the hips, given that the dress has a seam at the natural waist and is reasonably close-cut. These are three suggestions that Phyllis came up with from Marfy:

This one I like, but I'm not sure about the yoke.



This one I like, but I would eliminate the ruffle.


This is the one that I like best. I would have to think long and hard about the contrast and decide if I want to use it or not. But hey, I have time.


What do you think? Oh, and this is for Paco - I understand you perfectly and I will be visiting Your Blog to learn from you!

Happy sewing!

18 comments:

Stephanie said...

Those fabrics look divine. The Marfy patterns scare me. I'm going to have to have a lot more successful sewing experiences before I even attempt one of those babies. But, I know whatever you end up with will be smashing.

Unknown said...

I like #3 because it has a nice back view and pretty shoulder princess seaming. The necklines on the other two would take advantage of the openness of the dress, but what is going on with the closures? They must meet at the middle and hook together.

Erica Bunker said...

That fabric is so delicious! I vote for jacket #3.

Anonymous said...

The fabric is wonderful. I have reservations about #3 because I think that a v neck is more becoming on a fuller bust.

Anonymous said...

Love the fabric choice and I think Marfy #3 is such a class act.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely yummy fabric choice! I'd go for #2, minus the ruffles. The V shape neckline is more flattering on a full bust than the round neck of #3, and the 3/4 length sleeves are pretty. Also the edge-to-edge closure will show off more of the lovely dress underneath when worn unfastened...
(Maybe add detachable sleeve ruffles from the dress fabric?)

Anonymous said...

#2 is absolutely delish! I agree with eliminating the ruffle. You definitely will not have a frumpy look. Fabric is just awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

kasizzle said...

I prefer pattern #2.

Summerset said...

I like jackets #1 and #2. I like shape of the neckline on both better than #3. The details of #1 attract me quite a bit. I'm not sure which I'd pick if it were me!

The boucle is beautiful and will look marvelous regardless of pattern.

Little Hunting Creek said...

I like jacket number two best. I love plain front zippered jackets, they have such a clean uncluttered vertical line that is very flattering.

Anonymous said...

Definintely #2, without the ruffle. #3 doesn't have as much back interest, and #1 would take away from the dress.

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Ann .- fabulous fabrics, really. I love the bouclé this color and silk pink "parma". Regarding Marfy patterns, which are also fabulous, I think I see more favorable number 2. For several reasons: It has a structure similar to the clothing that 4001 has to bring together, and it has no crossing closure on the front so that shows the color of the dress. So you do not cut the figure and makes you a more stylized silhouette. I wish you many successes in this project which I am sure you will be "divine". Greetings from Barcelona. Paco

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I likey #2 - I think it will achieve the look you are going for...can't wait to hear which one you finally decide to use!

Anonymous said...

Now that I think about it - I like a combination of #2 and #3. #2 has that nice center front and neckline, and on #3 the front and back shoulder princess seams are classically Chanel. I think it would be pretty easy to alter the neckline and center front of #3 to look like #2. I can't tell if either one has a three piece sleeve, but I bet you can morph it from Vogue 8259, which is Claire Shaeffer's take on the vintage (more boxy) Chanel jacket.

Cennetta said...

You are right. That boule is fabulous. My vote is for #3.

Anonymous said...

I didn't actually say which pattern I liked, but I think that a combo of 2 and 3 would be nice. Or leaving off the ruffles and zipper, and using loops and buttons might be lovely. A lot of the current Chanel jackets having trim, seem to meet at cf and are closed with hooks I think.

Linda L said...

I like the third one. Maybe the color is influencing the decision but I think it will look the best with the GoPattern Dress. I orderd and received a copy of this dress pattern about three weeks ago so look forward to seeing the dress made up as well.

Corteygrif said...

Hello ANN,nice to meet you
we have 2 friends in common,Paco
and Tany!!Marfy magazines,is the one of my favorites magazines,i love this patterns.we learned to mutch with Paco.my blog it´s about jewellery crochet.see you a soon.