Saturday, January 19, 2008

God Love Leslie

I was talking the other day with Leslie, my web developer and dear friend, and telling her about my lack of sewing mojo. Her answer was, "Girl, you need to make a knit top!"

.
.
.

The simplest statements are often the most profound, you know? She was right. I was psyching myself out by mentally doing the work on a couture quality garment, with all the steps, checks and muslins that such entails. It's kind of like the feeling I get when I stand at the top of a double diamond slope and stare down it for a few minutes. I'm much better if I just damn the torpedoes and barrel-ass my way down the moguls, not thinking beyond the next one. In sewing terms, I desperately needed a simple, fast project to restart my engines. So I started cutting out this Simplicity pattern:

I'm going to make the long-sleeved version, but skip the overlay, because the fabric I'm using is busy enough all on its own. I'm using Get Ziggy With It jersey from Gorgeous Fabrics:
.

It's all cut out. I was going to sew it and finish it today, but DS the eldest asked me to help him finish the sewing project they worked on at school - a pair of elastic waist boxer shorts. And if DS want's to try his hand at sewing, how can I say no? But the top should be finished tomorrow, and I already feel the mo and the jo getting ziggy with it, so I think (hope!) I'll be out of my funk soon!

And Leslie? Mmmmwah!
Happy sewing!

10 comments:

Amy Bailes said...

So, did you do a FBA? I tried to make this pattern up two weeks ago and still have not figured out what I did wrong! I just could not get it to work for me.

Lisa Laree said...

Ah, Leslie has the words of wisdom! There is no antidote for sewing tediousitis like a quick little knit top!

Dawn said...

OOOOOOOO. I'm excited to see that print in action. I bought some a few weeks ago and have yet to use it.

Kitty Couture said...

I've made this top once and it was lovely to make - and is lovely to wear! Can't wait to see how yours turns out in this fun print. I'd like to make a three-quarter-sleeved version of this one for spring!

Sigrid said...

That was great advice from Leslie. Sometimes you just need something simple and quick, I often make something like a knit tee in between more difficult projects (even yesterday, in two hours). Gives you a feeling of having accomplished something.

Elaray said...

The last time I lost my sewing mojo, I made a quick crafty project - a wallet! It was mindless sewing, but it kept me at my machine until the mojo returned. Good luck on the knit top!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to try that top too. I love the neckline details. Draws the eye away from other areas not so slim after too many football snacks. ;)

Allison said...

So TRUE! Speaking for myself, I end up with unfinished projects because I won't let myself cut loose and just have some sewing FUN sometimes! Life is short, enjoy it!

Allison

Leslie in Austin said...

You are most welcome, dear one. "Welcome back" to your sewing mojo!

Sheila said...

Such a pretty print.