Monday, January 21, 2008

Pattern Review - Simplicity 3837 Top

I'm still working on getting my mojo back, but it is happening. I decided, on Leslie's great advice, to make a simple knit top. This one was in my stash, as was the fabric, so I pulled it out and gave it a go.

Pattern Description: Wardrobe of misses' tops. Made for knits, these tops have neckline and sleeve variations. made view A, the long sleeved version.

Pattern Sizing: 6-22. I made a 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing? Kinda sorta. I changed some things and left off some other design features, but the base was the same

How were the instructions? Didn't use them. This is a very easy shirt the way I made it. I didn't need them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? As I said above, I'm looking to get back my sewing mojo. I thought this would be a good, fast project to jumpstart it. It's a basic design with good bones, and it's easy to make.

What I disliked is that this beast runs BIG. This seems to happen a lot with Simplicity patterns lately. Now granted, I didn't do a flat pattern measurement before cutting, and my bad for that. But for the size 14, they give a finished garment measurement of 37 1/2 at the bust. That should be just fine on me, but this was significantly bigger than that. I've found that sizing in Simplicity's patterns can be pretty hit-or-miss of late. I'll definitely go down at least one size when and if I make this again. It's also lower cut than it looks on the model. It covers my bra, but I may end up layering a cami under it just for extra insurance.

Fabric :Get Ziggy With It jersey from (of course) Gorgeous Fabrics. I love the colors in this fabric. It's a bit mind-bending to work with, and if you have an astigmatism I could see this making your eyeballs vibrate. The trick to working with this kind of busy chevron is to cut your pattern pieces out using a single layer layout. I aligned the grainlines so they ran down the points of the chevron. That made it much easier to get the result I wanted.

Any pattern or design changes? I made a FBA, using the same technique I used for the Simplicity Kimono top I made last year. Here's a picture of the resulting pattern piece.

I'm going to modify this a bit next time, to curve back upward a bit at the center front. That will make it snug up a bit better. From a design standpoint, I skipped the overlay that the pattern shows. It's a cute idea, but since this print is already very busy, I didn't think it would add much to the top, and might actually end up detracting from the overall effect. I also skipped the ruching on the sleeve and left them plain.

I stayed the shoulders using a tip I published over at BeSewStylish.com I use fusible tricot that I cut 3/4 inch wide by the length of my shoulder seam. I align the edges of the tricot and the back shoulder and fuse. This leaves a little "hangover" into the garment. Apparently my explanation wasn't very clear, and it's easier to demonstrate with a picture, so you can see what I did here:
This stabilizes the shoulder seam, and the tricot doesn't add any bulk.

Would you do it again? Mmmm, possibly, but probably not. There are lots of other top patterns that I would probably want to make first. This isn't a bad pattern, but I'd rather do something else, you know?

Conclusion: A nice top. It's definitely getting me more interested in hitting the Chanel dress again. I may make one more (a different pattern) before jumping back on that horse.

Here's a picture of the finished garment:


Happy Sewing!

16 comments:

Adrienne said...

Very cute Ann!

Lori said...

I really like this one, Ann. The stripes have such a nice effect.

Anonymous said...

Very nice! The stripe effect just gives it a little something extra.

Anonymous said...

OOOh, I love it! The stripes really give it a nice effect.

Amy Bailes said...

Your shirt turned out wonderful! I love the stripes.

kasizzle said...

Your top looks great Ann. I'm still gathering up the courage to cut my fabric! Hope mine looks as smashing as yours!

Jen Shaw said...

I am so glad that you decided to make this pattern,Ann. I have this one waiting in the wings.. I really love how it looks with the wiggy ziggy lines! It is also good to know that this pattern runs so big!

Dawn said...

Now, I gotta make something with my yardage. I just have to figure out w h a t . . . .

Thanks for the inspiration.

Kitty Couture said...

Cute top, Ann!

LauraLo said...

that's a very nice top and the fabric is really beautiful. I like how you played with the print at the underbust seam

Casey said...

Very Missoni. I cannot sew a button on but I adore beautiful clothes and fine workmanship, so I'm having a great time reading through your blog.

Summerset said...

I love the stripe effect! Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Great job with the stripes. Does the view you made have the same neckline (with the layers) that the model's view has? Just curious. I want to get that pattern.

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Ann .- fabulous top and beautiful fabric.
The "Chanel" suit because I have been wanting to see the outcome. A big hug, Paco

Linda L said...

Love the fabric and I think it makes the top look great. Your FBA was a little different than the one you did sometime back. I bookmarked the post. It dealt with wrap or crossover FBA. I am curious how you did this one and how did you determine how much to add to the bottom. I pretty much understand adding length to adjust for the bust curve/mound. I keep having fitting issues with bust and like to understand why choices to use one method over another. Hopefully when you have a moment you can respond.

patsijean said...

Ann, I love the top. I too am in a sewing funk caused by a long lasting period of back spasams that have made it difficult to stand at a cutting table, get up-sit down etc. I did get all my Christmas sewing done however, but I have tons to do before the end of March and cannot get started. Ill have to find the inspiration somewhere.

From Tennessee, Charles and I are rooting for the Pats along with you. Our Titans did better this year, but are not playoff ready yet. Too young, and unseasoned an offense this year. I hope PacMan can solve his issues and return with a new appreciation of how fortunate he is, and of how careful one needs to be in one's choice of companions.