Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pattern Review - Pamela's Patterns Perfect Tee


Pattern Description: From Pamela's Patterns' website - "This is a T-Shirt pattern unlike any you have ever tried before! It is made for a "real" woman, and addresses the most common fitting issues we face - high round back, forward shoulder, full hip and bust, and a good fit through the shoulder and neck. Design details include an "essence of waist", flattering shirt tail hemline, three necklines, and four sleeve lengths.
* This pattern is sized for a high bust measurement of 31" - 45". The full bust measurement can be considerably larger due to the optional darted Front pattern piece."

I made the non-darted, scoop neck version with short sleeves. I used the narrower sleeve width.

Sizing: XS to XL. I made a Small

Did it look like the photo or drawing when you got through? Yes. It's considerably looser in the torso than I thought it would be from the photos.

How were the instructions? They were fine. It's pretty straightforward and the instructions seem good for beginners. The one nit I had was that I couldn't find anywhere on the pattern that says what the seam allowances are. That could be me and the fact that my phone was ringing constantly while I was making it. I finally settled on 1/4 inch SAs.

Fabric Used:
Funky Op Art Jersey from Gorgeous Fabrics (of course!)

Any changes? I decided to bind the neckline edge with foldover elastic. In retrospect, I don't like it. It's heavy feeling. I would go with a self fabric or similar weight fabric in he future. Other than that, none.

Likes/Dislikes: I like the ease with which this goes together. I like the fact that it has lots of style options and it's got the built-in forward shoulder, high round back adjustments. Dislikes? Well, I based my size (Small) on my high bust measurement, which is 34 inches. The small is too big. I could easily go down to an XS. Also, as I mentioned, it's very roomy through the torso. That's great for some people, and even for some looks that I would want, but I would take it in at the waist in the future. I might try the darted version to see if that fits differently. Don't get me wrong. It's a good shirt and I'm wearing it as I type this. It's just not quite the fit I was expecting. Also, from a personal standpoint, I don't need a forward shoulder or round back adjustment. I'm about the only person I know who doesn't need it.

Would you do it again? Would you recommend it? Yes and Yes. As with any new (to me) pattern company, I recommend making a test version and seeing what pattern changes you need to make. I'll probably make an XS with a Vee neck in a great cotton lycra I have sitting on the floor next to me. Did I ever mention that it looks like a big ol' fabric bomb exploded in my house?

Conclusion: A good pattern with lots of design options. It's a great pattern for beginners. I may use it as the basis for my next sewing with knits class. Here's a picture of it on my dress form:

Happy sewing!

8 comments:

Cennetta said...

Nice t-shirt. Thanks for the 411fo on Pamela's Patterns. There are two I plan to purchase.

Karla said...

I traced this one last night, but was hesitant about the wide high front chest measurement, and emailed another PR person about it. Maybe I'll go back and trace a smaller size through the front shoulders, but leave plenty of ease through the middle, since there is nothing there worth sharing with others.

Linda L said...

I have this pattern. I think it runs large as well and have made two versions of it. One I use as a sleep top to go with pajama bottoms, the other went to Goodwill. I still like all the design options but put it aside for now.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

What a fun and funky top!!!

Anonymous said...

Just an idea. Perhaps the seam allowances were meant to greater than 1/4 inch, maybe 5/8, and therefore the fit would have been correct.

Karla said...

Somewhere on the pattern, I finally found the seam allowance, and 1/4" is what was specified.

Kat said...

This is my TNT pattern. I, too, have found the same issue of roomy-ness and made two patterns from the original--one with front and back waist darts and one with princess seams, using the horizontal darted front as the base pattern. I just love 'em both and loves this pattern for Q&E tee.

Kat said...

This is my TNT pattern. I, too, have found the same issue of roomy-ness and made two patterns from the original--one with front and back waist darts and one with princess seams, using the horizontal darted front as the base pattern. I just love 'em both and loves this pattern for Q&E tee.