Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Short Detour


Tomorrow morning DH is flying to DC for the weekend to visit his dad. It will be his dad's birthday (one ending in 0), so all three kids are flying in for it. We inlaws were kind of specifically dis-invited (not for any bad reasons, mostly b/c of transportation costs, baseball season, MCAS tests and such). All three kids pitched in and got DFiL a laptop computer. So I volunteered to make a leather sleeve for it. That's what I worked on today. I made it the same way I made my Silver Lambskin Laptop Sleeve. This time I used a black lambskin that was slightly heavier than the original silver. It all went together great. Remember if you sew with leather, use a teflon foot to ease your stitching. Also, use a specialized leather needle, and use binder clips to hold the pieces together. This took about an hour to make from start to finish, and I think DFiL will like it!

Tomorrow I'll get the Burda dress well underway. I think tonight I will head out to JoAnn and see if they have any halfway interesting snaps for closures on the dress.

Oh who am I kidding? I should just buy them from SnapSource.

Happy sewing!

4 comments:

MarilynB said...

I'm sure your DFIL will appreciate his gift, especially since you made it.

As for being alone during the weekend, I used to love when my husband and sons would go camping for the weekend with the Boy Scouts. I considered it my vacation.

Cordelia said...

i just want to say that I love your blog, and I love that you whip up leather laptop covers as gifts in an hour (and blog about it and throw in helpful reminders about sewing with leather). Thanks for writing.

Anonymous said...

I will send you the measurements on DH's laptop. ooooooh...no, not what I meant to say. One of the most fun things I've ordered recently are the sample packs of snaps from Snapsource - all the sizes and all the colors available so I can audition them against fabric before I order. Just an enabling thought, since you're going to place an order anyhow. -Karla

Pam Erny said...

What a lovely thoughtful gift, Ann!

I have only worked with leather o a limited basis....collars on shirts, etc. You've inspired me to offer leather accents on custom shirts I make for my clients! Thanks!

Pam from ~Off The Cuff Style~