Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What Classes Would You Want to Take?

I have a great space for teaching small classes, and my landlord and insurance company both have okayed it. So now I have to decide what classes I want to teach. The great news is that I can teach whatever I want to teach. Unlike when I teach for other organizations, I don't necessarily have to have 7-10 students for the class to be a go. So here are some ideas I have already come up with:

Fitting a Bodice
Fitting a Skirt
Fitting Pants
Embellishment Techniques (that will be Sewing Diva Phyllis' baby)
Sewing with Knits
Tailoring Techniques
It's All in the Details
Sewing Evening Wear
Copying Designer Details
Quick Gifts to Make
Sewing with Leather
Couture Jacket Seminar
Sit 'n Sew (Independent Project)

That's just a partial list. All classes are fashion-sewing oriented. I don't do home dec or quilting. I'll probably keep teaching the beginner classes through other outlets. This is for more advanced classes that would draw smaller groups. So what other classes would you want to see offered? Leave a comment and let me know.

Thanks, and happy sewing!

37 comments:

cidell said...

I would take the pants class, tailoring, details and copying designer details course. I would also recommend a jeans class. I swear every woman I know hates buying jeans and falls in love with one pair. They day I learn how to make jeans is the day I stop shopping completely.

Anonymous said...

I would definitely take the fitting classes and the details class. What about a more general class on techniques for having clothes look more RTW (things like flat-fell seams, etc)

Jenny said...

If I were in the area, I'd love to take the embellishment, tailoring, Details, Evening Wear, and Designer Details classes. Oh, and I could possibly have to make a special trip for a leather class. Other than those ideas you already have, I would be interested in creating a pattern from a garment you already have or just a draping class.

Little Hunting Creek said...

Making purses and tote bags, designer home dec touches, and couture secrets like what interfacing to use when, best way to do linings, working with silk, knit tricks etc

Lisa Laree said...

Oh! Wish I lived close enough! I'd love to take several...but both of the Details classes would be on my list, and I think it'd be great to do the Sit N Sew with any number of projects that I have in my 'I wanna make this!' list that are just a teeny bit intimidating. It'd be great to work on them in company of other sewing enthusiasts...

Meg said...

-Some kind of tricks of the trade class would be nice. I.e., ways to do things faster you might not know about. Good for people like me who work full-time, have kids, want to sew but need freshening up on time-saving techniques.
-An interfacing seminar would be good.
-In addition to the 3 fit classes you have, maybe a generalized fit class for busy people who want to fit their patterns better but would prefer a speed overview rather than the specialized classes.
-What is the "It's All in the Details" class?
-Does the evening wear class encompass LBDs? Would you get more takers if you billed it as an LBD class featuring evening wear techniques?
-I would sign up for tailoring techniques, copying designer details, the couture jacket seminar, and the sit 'n sew. Probably the fitting a bodice class too.

What fun for you! This makes me almost wish I lived in Boston again.

Anonymous said...

Well, if you could put together a Friday/Sat/Sunday, I would even DRIVE up to Boston(there are no sewing classes where I am at all)to do: Bodice/jacket (I need a lot of help on the back and sleeve/armscye issues).

Anonymous said...

You teach classes? How did I miss that! Could you direct me to information on this (my email is im.oldfashioned at yahoo)?

I'd be interested in any of the fitting courses, sewing with knits (especially if it included techniques for a regular machine), copying designer details and Sit n' Sew.

Emily said...

I would take... er... almost all of the classes you have listed, but especially the pants, embellishment, leather, tailoring techniques, and jacket classes. Keep me posted on when/what you decide to offer. I'm DEFINITELY interested!

Marji said...

If I didn't live halfway across the country I'd be all over the embellishments class.
What a great opportunity for those living close to you. I hope many take advantage of your class offerings.

Anonymous said...

I would take the fitting pants and tailoring techniques.

Gaile said...

Oh why do I live all the way across the continent!? I would love to take classes from you. If I lived there, or if I had a transporter, I would take Fitting a Bodice, Definitely fitting Pants, Tailoring Techniques, and Copying Designer Details. I would love a basic jacket class that included everything from bound buttonholes to bagging the lining.

Anonymous said...

I would love the sewing with leather, pants fitting and alterations classes! I really wish I lived close by so I could take one.

Anonymous said...

This is my lucky day. I do live here, and I need some help to pull my sewing up a notch. That of course means fitting. I would also take that knits class. I see all the beautiful items you make with your gorgeous fabric, but I still fall short with making my knit tops look as fabulous as yours.

But, alas, I work. Full time. So I hope your planning a few classes around that type of schedule.

Thanks,
Jan

Kanani said...

I would take the fitting courses because everything else falls in after this. But then, I'm a total clod when it comes to sewing. Maybe I could just provide cookies?

Hey, heads up. I did some articles on Falguni and Shane, creators of Peacock Couture. Mr. Shane wrote. He's asked for my measurements --they're making a dress for me!
Wow! Anyway, I'm a little nervous. As a kid, I watched my Mom take measurements all the time on her clients. But, I think I'm going to wait until my daughter gets home and have her help me. Also... I'm super bloated today. Yuck.

Anonymous said...

1. Field trip to the fabric store for newbies...it's very bewildering for new people.

2. Some kind of wardrobe capsule sewing--how to put it together and make the fabrics coordinate (you are so good at this) and sew with that goal in mind - maybe pants/skirt/simple twinset/casual jacket.

Gail

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about developing online classes for those of us who live far away from you?

Anonymous said...

I have to second LinsayT's comment about interfacing. It seems like fabric choice & interfacing items correctly make such a huge difference in the final product. I think I'd also make a trek to Boston for a weekend sew-inar.

Dawn said...

ALL OF THEM! If I had to choose only three, I would choose (in this order): Fitting Pants, Fitting a Bodice, Copying Designer Details.

Oh, and what Cidell said about jeans. Do a jeans sewing class.

Becky said...

If I lived anywhere nearby, I would definitely do any of the fitting classes (especially if they involved how to do the adjustments on the patterns so I don't have to keep messing with taking in half-sewn things!), the sewing with knits, and copying designer details.

By the way, my order arrived today (the last of the Paging Mr. Pollock) and I love it! Thanks again for all the help-- I can't wait for some free time so I can try it out!

Unknown said...

This is fate, I've just been looking for classes in the area and have been unimpressed.

Top of my list:
- Draping/drafting a skirt sloper and using it
- Field trip to the fabric store sounds nifty also
- From your class list:
Fitting a Bodice
Fitting a Skirt
Fitting Pants
Sewing with Knits
Tailoring Techniques
Couture Jacket Seminar

Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I would take any of the classes if I lived near you let alone in the same country... Any chance of broadcasting on the net???

Anonymous said...

Fitting, tailoring, designer details, couture jacket seminar...but basically all of them. I know this would not probably be possible at first, but since many of us live far away....could you consider a sewing class weekend or several day session where some of us could come to Boston? Though I know this is difficult if folks have to fly and transport a SM too. Those of us who live in the sewing wilderness will just have to be wistfull. ML

Anonymous said...

Yay - I'm not far from Boston and want to take more advanced classes! They all sound interesting. Personally, I'm most interested in detail classes (copying designer details, new ideas for details, tailoring techniques, etc). Also, since I'm newer to knits, sewing with knits would be helpful. And of course fitting classes are always needed :)

Anonymous said...

Well, like many others, all of them, but if I had to choose, first, all the fitting I can get. Then the details classes for things like how to handle the facing at the top of a zipper, mitering corners nicely, pockets both welt and applied, bound buttonholes and the facings that cover them...you get the idea. I wish you wonderful use of your wonderful new space.

Anonymous said...

I live too far away, but I'd love a fitting class. Also, with the independent project one you could be available to trouble shoot. It sounds like a great thing you've got going there. Someday I'd love to go to NYC so maybe I could make a short trip to Boston!

Claire said...

Ann, if you could do a 1/2 or full Saturday or Sunday class I'd be up there in a heartbeat. This is about all I could do as I'd be driving from CT.

I'm very much interested in all fitting and any sewing classes you want to teach.

Anonymous said...

I live on the other side of the planet, and DD's already passed that milestone; what I would have liked is a class on making what you call in the US a Prom Dress. Although I sew a lot, the techniques are so different to the sorts of things I normally make. My biggest challenge was making something that supported her 12DD bust without needing a bra.

Other than that, I'll keep buying lottery tickets - maybe one day I'll get to Boston :-)

Nneka said...

If you take this show on the road (i.e., to Dallas, TX), I'd happily take any of the classes **several** times!
-Nneka

Anonymous said...

Ann! All of the above! I think the jeans class would be a great class as well. OOh! I wish that I lived nearby. Such fun! I know everyone will have a wonderful time. Congratulations.

Reethi said...

I could have sworn I left a comment already!

I'd take the Tailoring Techniques class, the Pants class, the Copying Designer Details class. I'd love to take a Lingerie class, and a Winter Coat class.

Love the new studio!

Cindy May said...

Please move to California........:)

Anonymous said...

I would take all of them except probably the embellishing (no offense, Phyllis! I just don't think that way!), the evening wear class, and the quick gifts class.

I also need to refit the canvas cover to my Uniquely You dress form since I'm not 12 any more (or even a Size 12). I don't suppose anyone else needs to work on a dress form?

Kat said...

Probably fit classes with an emphasis on draping, techniques (couture type of stuff). Sewing with leather too. I've just started making leather purses so that would be my preference too.

Anonymous said...

I am in the Boston area and would LOVE to take a class.I have been trying to hook up with a sewing group for the past few years with no luck.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann,

I found out about your classes only recently. I would love to take classes from you. I live in the next town over. How can I find out more info about these classes?

Thanks.

Prabha

Gorgeous Things said...

Prabha, send an email to me (ann "at" gorgeousfabrics "dot" com) with the subject line Sign me up for classes or something similar and I'll put you on the mailing list for upcoming classes). Thanks!