Monday, August 04, 2008

Saucy Secretary Part 1 - KS 3093



It's August, which means fall is approaching at lightning speed. I decided I want to make a "Sexy Secretary" outfit for fall, and I'm using the HP Pencil Skirt that I Reviewed Here. For the top. I decided on a simple turtleneck. I've made this pattern a couple of times before, and I have always liked it. But to tell you the truth, I don't love it so much in its current iteration. I think the fabric may have something to do with it. The last time I made this was from a Wool Jersey. Maybe it's the fabric. Maybe it's my expectations that have changed. I was able to make it work, but it needed tweaking and I needed to take it in significantly.

I started with my usual Size Small-to-Medium (I redrew the cutting lines right between the two sizes). I made the top from a wonderful rayon jersey in dark eggplant from Gorgeous Fabrics. The problem was the fit. Maybe it's because of the softness and stretch of the rayon. The last two times I made it from jerseys that had about 35% stretch in the crossgrain. This fabric has 50% stretch. I ended up taking it in two inches on each side seam and it's still not tight! I think in the future I'll raise the armhole. It's pretty low. I'll also start with an Extra-Small next time and just do a FBA to give it the room through the bust.

Now don't get me wrong. It doesn't look bad. But I will definitely change it up when I make it again. I may also try a different pattern. But in the meantime this top will suffice. Here's a picture of it on Shelley, the dress form:


The wonkiness at the shoulder is because Shelley has tears in her shoulder fabric. The seams are just fine.

Next up will be the skirt, but I need to reline a coat first. Happy sewing!

3 comments:

Meg said...

I just tried to make this pattern myself and ended up converting it to a scoop neck. I was surprised I didn't like it because turtlenecks are my mainstay. It was too "necky," if that makes any sense.

Dana said...

As soon as I'm done with my daily blog fix, I'm going to see if that fabric is still available! Looking for a perfect match to a wool crepe I have.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann,

I don't have this pattern, but I do have KwikSew 2740, which appears to be more fitted. (It's actually described as close-fitting and recommends 50% stretch fabrics.)

I love your blog, btw!

LizH