1 day ago
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
And That, My Dears, is How It's Done
Many of my blogging friends have written or will write posts about the fashions our new First Lady wore yesterday. I won't bother to add my opinion, beyond saying she looked fabulous. However, being the opinionated (ahem) lady that I am, I will give you my view on another great element of yesterday's inaugural - the music.
I was toasty warm in my office, watching the CNN streaming video. It looked c-c-cold in D.C., and I felt bad for the crowds. But I immediately perked up when The Ultimate Diva, The Queen of Soul, Aretha billowed up to the podium like a galleon under full sail to sing "My Country Tis of Thee". Vocally, it wasn't her best performance. At first I thought she might be under the weather. But as she sang, it seemed more like she wasn't suffering from a cold, but rather that she (and her pipes) had gotten cold. The opening of the song was raspy, but as she continued singing, her voice settled in more and more.
But regardless of the quality of sound she produced, that woman owned that song. From the moment she opened her mouth to the last note, she brought it, with all the confidence and gravitas that only a true Diva can bring. It's an attitude thing. Even when she's not on top form, Aretha puts it all out there and pours her heart into every word, every note and every nuance. Beyonce is a pretty girl with a pretty voice, but at this point, she is just a pretender to the throne. And the Queen is not going to abdicate that throne any time soon.
Oh, and I LOVED the hat.
Happy singing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

18 comments:
Oh yes, the hat! I'm not sure that I'd expect anything less, from either her choice of outfit or her performance of the song. She owned the whole thing.
Ree Ree is my girl. Always has been, even as a little girl begging my parents to play her albums. Being the diva she is (and I mean that affectionately) she needed something to stand out. It was over the top, but so her. As for the vocals, she still has a set of pipes, but age and poor health are catching up with her. In the crowd, we could hear her struggle more to maintain her breathing rather than pitch.
I LOVED the hat!! I texted Carolyn to say the exact same thing! It was churchy and grand!
Gravitas is such an apt word in this moment. Loved the hat!
Amen, (sewin') sister.
OH, I loved the hat! And I agree about Aretha singing. She started out a little raspy, and although she no longer has the voice of her youth, that song was all Aretha and a gift to all of us.
I loved the hat too! So Divaish! So over-the-top! So Aretha!!!
Loved the hat and the song! Long live the Queen! Mary
I love Ree-Ree! I'm a Southern gal and that darlin was a "Church Lady" hat!
I hope Beyoncé was watching and taking notes. Aretha really brought it!
I agree - Loved the hat. It reminded me of the hat Parade at my church as a child. In the Southern Baptist Church, it was unheard of to go to church without a hat. It seemed the bigger the better at times.
Joyce in NC
I LOVED her hat and all the diva-ness she brings to wearing it! Aretha has always been one of my supreme favorites, that is after Mahailia Jackson of course! I had a feeling she would be at the inauguration as she was not at the "pre day" ceremonies. Her absence was obvious and I just knew she was being saved for the big time!
Loved it! My 11-yr old daughter watched the inauguration on TV and had NO idea who Aretha was. She said to me, "Who is that? Her hat is great, and she is such a good a singer!!"
I laughed a little, because she is so young not to know Aretha.
The hat was awesome. I was on my way home to watch the event when Aretha came out -- my 21 yo dd almost called me to tell me to tune in. Makes me want to break out one of my own church lady hats, but am passing the plate Sunday and don't want to make a scene!
AMEN!
yeh, love the hat!
Sorry, ladies, I disagree. I liked she wore a hat but that bow to me was hideous. But I am in the minority. According to our local news, Mr. Song's Millinery here in Detroit, got over 500 orders for that hat from around the world. Well, I sure hope it helps Mr. Song's business especially since Michigan is soo down in the dumps.
--umjudis
Amen! The hat is fabulous.
I was in a room with a bunch of energy traders who immediately tore into the hat. I told them to stuff it, Aretha can wear anything she wants, listen up boys! Normally I don't talk to my clients like that, but it needed to be said.
Aretha, Yo Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlam. Could anything have been more perfect?
Elle
Post a Comment