Thursday, January 22, 2009

Next Up, a Ballroom Dance Dress

My Jalie Patterns arrived yesterday. Hooray! I have to say, ordering from Jalie.com is really a pleasure. They are efficient and fast. NAYY, just a happy customer.

So I received my patterns, and I am going to make a ballroom gown for Tatiana using 2801, the backless skating dress, as the base:


I'll change the skirt to a floor length, 8 gore version. I'm making it from this fabulous burnout velvet I bought in New York back in the fall.

It's really rich looking, and I like the way the panné effect of the velvet reflects the light. I think I'll make the gores from sheer black fabric, though I'm not entirely decided on that yet. This needs to be complete (and so does the Latin dress) by February 7th. Good thing I have so much free time... Hahahahahahahaha! Snort!

Stay tuned and happy sewing!

12 comments:

Zep said...

ur so snorting funny :) I have tons of free time too HA

Can't wait to follow this project.
Beautiful fabric!

Enjoy your sewing moments with all that free time :)

Cennetta said...

Beautiful fabric. And you have my attention.

Paulette said...

As with all of your creations...I look forward to your lessons along the way and the finished product!
-Paulette
http://sewist.blogspot.com

Bunny said...

I can just see that fabric swaying and catching the light on the dance floor!

Cindy May said...

umm THAT is spectacular, the pattern idea and the fabric!

Diana said...

Happy sewing!~!~~ It should turn out really nice..

Regards
Diana
http://djstoreroom.blogspot.com

Vicki said...

May the sewing gods be with you :))

tm said...

I can't wait to hear about your work. My almost 10 year old does ballroom dancing and I don't think I can avoid the dresses for much longer. Since I won't be buying one, I will just have to make one.

Anonymous said...

I had to search for 10 minutes on the internet to find out the meaning to NAYY. It's been bugging me for weeks. ;)

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth NAYY has had me wondering too. I would love for you to tell us what it means.

And while we are talking about abreviations...FBA = Full body adjustment???

We might need a dictionary here. LOL

Anonymous said...

PS: That fabric is to die for!! Can't wait to see it finished.

Cennetta said...

I'm back again! I've nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger Award. See my blog for details.
Happy Sewing!
C