Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hello, Lemons. Meet Lemonade...

Here is how I work. I do something. There's a problem. I get pissed. I sulk. I put my brain (I had a CAT scan - I have proof it's there. I took home photos) to work on it. I fix it.

So today, my seam ripper and I had a grand old time. I pulled the drape off the dress, and I cut a new drape. Tatiana wanted a cowl drape that wrapped around the back to become a halter. The problem with the Lycra is that it doesn't drape properly. It's too heavy; it drapes into semi-stiff folds rather than soft curves. So I replaced it with a drape made from a rectangular-sort-of-thingie of the turquoise mesh. I sewed that into the collar (and thank you Emilie for sending the suggestion!). I gathered the front so it drapes beautifully and I left the back relatively plain. I brought it to Tatiana tonight, and she saw me walk in with it, stopped her dance lesson and ran over to ooh and ahh over it and give me a big hug! I hope she loves it as much on her as on the hanger. I also made two arm bands for her from the sequined fabric that she can wear on her biceps to kind of pull it together a little bit. I promise I'll get pictures this weekend.

In a perfect world, I would sprinkle some sequins on the drape. But this isn't a perfect world. Because tomorrow, rather than gluing sequins on the drape, I'm going to New York to go to...


Wait for it...


Fashion Week!!!!!!



Oh. My. Gawd! How excited am I? I'm meeting up with my darling Emmett and my darlings TLo and we are going to the Tents! Be still my beating heart! That's why I got the new camera lens. I promise to post pictures!

Ladies and Gentlemen, Start Your Engines! There's something big coming. First thing tomorrow. I can't give too much away (2 years!), but fill your shopping bags, watch your email and this site and....


Happy sewing!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have much more patience than I would have! Glad she likes it...

tm said...

OK--I'm excited for the suspenseful news! And I'm so glad you were able to fix the drape. Don't let those costumes kick your butt or I have NO chance.

Unknown said...

Wow! Fashion Week! I'm so jealous... the closest I've ever been have been watching Project Runway on DVD while I trace/cut patterns! Glad you won the war of the Latin Dress! I knew you would... I finally finished DH's shirt, posted on my blog. Thanks for the fabulous fabric!

Zep said...

**SCREAM***FASHION WEEK**STILL SCREAMING. That makes things all better. I really did feel bad for you reading your last post. I'm so happy things worked out ok.
Enjoy your moments for all of us!
FASHION WEEK!!! cool :)

-E said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oooo I can't wait for those pics! And *high five* on the save :)

Anonymous said...

yippee! my lucky day! I guess I'll wait just a smidge more to buy that sateen ;)

Hope you have a blast! Can't wait to read all about it.

:)S

AuntieAllyn said...

Ooooh, Fashion Week . . . and I believe today's the day they're showing the ill-fated latest Project Runway collections! I'm chartreuse with envy!!!! Must. See. Many. Photographs!!!

Rachel said...

"I put my brain (I had a CAT scan - I have proof it's there. I took home photos) to work on it."

You are so funny. I love reading your blog. You have more patience than me, which is why I am a selfish sewer and only sew for myself.

BetsyV said...

I can't believe you aren't taking the drape the sequins and the glue onto the train to NY with you ;)

So glad to hear T likes the new drape. I was sad to read she hated the first one. Bad enough we sometimes hate our own creations for ourselves!

Have fun

BetsyV

flanthrower said...

Wow! x 100

An opportunity of a lifetime. Can't wait to hear what's next!

Summerset said...

Yay! She likes it! I completely understand how difficult it is to have worked hard on something only to come to the realization it isn't going to work.

Enjoy fashion week - you deserve it after this dance dress!

Paulette said...

PHEW!!! So glad she liked the new version!!

And how fun "FASHION WEEK"!! Please take lots of pics and think of all or "your fans/loyal supporters" who wish they could be there with you!! :)

Anonymous said...

I hate it when a great idea doesn't work out, particularly when it's my great idea (which of course they are all great, it's just some of them don't make it to the end!!!). In the end a happy wearer (customer) makes up for any frustration or brain surgery I wanted to do on my client!!! And for the client when they go through something like this and then see it changed like they want, they are overjoyed....but then you already know that.

PICTURES....we want LOTS of pictures and DETAILS....lots of DETAILS - for those of us who are in the hinterlands and have no hope of ever going.

Anonymous said...

OMG. Fashion Week. le Sigh.