Sunday, March 08, 2009

Bedside Reading Material and Another Great Site


I had the great pleasure of speaking at length with Julie Cole, a professor at Harper College of Design and at the International Academy of Design and Technology in Chicago about two weeks back. We had a great chat about the current state of sewing, design, fabric procurement, etc. I could talk with her for hours! She mentioned to me that she had recently come out with a new textbook, with Sharon Czachor, about sewing for designers. She suggested that I call Fairchild Publications and request a reviewer's copy of her book, Professional Sewing Techniques for Designers. I checked out the Fairchild website and saw that they put you through too many hoops before they'll consider you a reviewer, so I decided to buy it instead. I am so glad I did! This is literally my bedside reading, so I'm only getting through about a chapter per night, but this is one of the best references on sewing out there, whether you are a professional or not. I'll do a full-blown review when I finish it, but I'm utterly impressed with my first skim-through and the full read of the first 6 chapters.

Another professor with whom I had the great pleasure of meeting and talking with is Susan Scafidi. Susan is a tenured professor of law at Fordham University. She teaches a course on Fashion Law, I believe the only one in the US currently. I first met her at Emmett's, and we went to dinner that night. She's a hoot and a fascinating lady. She walked in wearing one of Emmett's coats and Christian Louboutin stilettos. How could you not love this woman? In addition to her work at Fordham, she works with the CFDA and other organizations and writes the blog Counterfeit Chic. She's working on the revised draft legislation to allow copyright protection to designers. We had a lively conversation across the dinner table (I hope we didn't bore our other friends too much), and she actually managed to sway my views somewhat. I'll reserve my final opinion for when the revised legislation is presented and I can read it, but it sounds much more reasonable than the first proposed bill. Do check out her blog. It has all sorts of interesting information!

Happy sewing!

13 comments:

cidell said...

I read Counterfeit Chic! It's a great blog. I'm looking forward to your review. I've been reading the chapters we skip at bedtime too! I'm going to need a new book soon!

gwensews said...

If there's anything as good as sewing, it's sewing books. I put this one on my wish list, waiting for your review.

Thank you

Gigi said...

I have been eyeing this book on Amazon for a couple of weeks. I can't wait to read your review!

NancyDaQ said...

Once again, I'm jealous. You get to meet the coolest people!

Rebecca said...

Thank you so much for the link to "Counterfeit Chic." I was a fashion major, who aspired to be a designer, but I really LOVE all aspects of the fashion industry....including the legal side. I will definitely become an avid reader of that blog. Thanks again! You totally rock!!

Meg said...

Isn't it ridiculous how hard publishers make it to get review or advance copies? Even with my industry insider ins, I have a hard time getting books too.

Anonymous said...

Oooo...pricey little devil isn't it? Thank you for reviewing it for us so we know if it is worth the money.

Marvelous Steve said...

Fairchild has a number of interesting books scheduled for this year:
http://fairchildbooks.com/page.cms?id=89#design

Christina said...

Well I certainly like the cover, so I'm looking forward to your review!

Ann Made Studio said...

Sounds like a great book to have. Anxiously waiting your review...

Tee said...

I'm so glad I stumbled upon your site. It's the greatest!

I've read the Armstrong book on fashion design..is it comparable?

Thanks

Johanna Lu said...

Looking very much forward to your review, I too have been eyeing it

Love For Earth said...

I just got this book last week! I have a collection building of pattern making books, but I do think this one might be the best one. I haven't finished it yet, but what I have read is well written and easily understandable. I also ordered the workbook that comes with it, it should be here any day!