Friday, March 13, 2009

Transitional Top - J. Stern Tee Take 3

It's another J. Stern Tee - I hope you're not bored yet. I'm not! This has turned into a staple in my wardrobe. Part of what I like is the shape. I also love the fact that I do not have to do an FBA. This time I did a slight variation on the Meshin' Around version that I made for my niece. For mine. I used two fabrics from Gorgeous Fabrics: Garden Sweet Jersey as the underlay and Stretch Chantilly Lace in purple tones as the overlay.
I underlined the lower front and back bodice pieces, and the upper side and upper back pieces. That leaves the sleeves and the upper center with just the lace. Here's the final result:

I really like this version! I'm wearing it now, but you won't see a picture of me in it until later. That's a funny story that I'll leave you with.

Now, I'm as vain as the next person, right? Nope, vainer, but that's for another conversation. Anyway, I was at my dermatologist getting my moles checked. As an aside, thank you, DSis, for getting melanoma. Now whenever my derm needs a tuition payment she calls me in and takes a few hunks out of my hide. So I was talking with her, and I said, "Gee, you know this pigmentation on my left cheek really bugs me." It's a melasma I have left over from my pregnancy with DS the younger. She looked at it, figured she could cover a couple of textbook costs, and said, "You know, we could do a peel and that would take it down quite a lot."

So I said yes. She came back in a few minutes later with swabs of stuff and had me sit back in the chair and said, "You don't have anything big this weekend, do you?"

"No..."

"Good!"

And she proceded to wipe this stuff all over my face. It was no big deal actually - a little tingling and not much more. She admonished me to keep sunscreen on (no problem - I'm the sunscreen queen) for the next couple of days. As I got ready to walk out she told me that I could expect to see some flaking starting Thursday or Friday.

Riiiiiiight.....

"Some flaking" translates roughly to "You're going to look like an extra in some horror flick for two days. Don't go for a walk in your neighborhood or you'll scare the children and set the dogs howling in fear."

So starting last night, the "some flaking" started. It's mostly gone now. And yay! So is much of the melasma. Modern medicine really does work. But I'm not letting anyone take any pictures of me until it's all done.

I have a great fabric that I want to make into a skirt this weekend. It's very springy. Stay tuned!

Happy sewing!

22 comments:

gwensews said...

Those two fabrics look great together-- as if they were meant for each other.

I like the concept of the sheer overlay. It's quite elegant.

Alex said...

Those fabrics look great together!

Julia said...

I love that mesh over that print. Looks great!! It takes a great eye to see those together!! You will lookl great. I know what you mean about paying for your drs. kids to go to college!!!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

..."some flaking" LOL!

But I have to tell you that I'm really jealous of all the spring sewing...and I really like the new top!

Little Hunting Creek said...

That is the CUTEST T shirt in this pattern YET. You are a genius! :)
I'm glad it was minor at the Dr. Can't mess with that stuff

sewbluetiful said...

Wonderful color combination,,,

As far as the skin flaking, well you will be back to you're beautiful, or more-beautiful self in no time,,, :)

Mickie

Ann Made Studio said...

Your top looks great. I'm really liking this pattern :)
Hope your looking better real soon :)

Sue said...

Really pretty top! Lucky you didn't need to go out ...

meredithp said...

I love this fabric combo! And I love the tee. I hear ya about the derm. Having grown up in Florida and being blonde and fair...luckily only basal cell so far.

I may have to swipe..er..emulate those fabrics in my next JStern tee.

Myra said...

Great top and the combination is perfect. Hope you get better.

Melissa said...

Beautiful top. I too got some pigment changing from my last pregnancy. I didn't realize there was something that could be done about it. Mine is very minor except if I get any sun and then it's very noticable - just another reason to slather on lots of sunscreen.

JoanneM said...

Now those colors look like spring! Lovely!

Gigi said...

Really stunning! I can't wait until my pattern arrives...

Pam Erny said...

Love...just LOVE this!

I really need to get over there and get that pattern....

Karla said...

I love it. I've been trying to resist that lacey stuff ever since you posted it and suggested the patterned underlayer.

Erica Bunker said...

Beautiful combination! Love it!

Summerset said...

Great pairing of fabrics - perfect for transitioning to spring!

Anonymous said...

Ann, that is a wonderful top and the fabrics together are great. I have one question though...I just ordered those two fabrics the other day; you do have some left for me right? LOL

I can't wait to see you in the top with your radiant new skin.

meredithp said...

So...since I really am "emulating" your design here, how did you finish the neck edge on the mesh? Thanks!

Love For Earth said...

TCA peel? Those are SOO worth the scary face for a few days, I think I want one now, did you know they sale TCA peels on ebay? I love the top :)

AllisonC said...

I would never have thought to pair those two fabrics together, but they really look great. I had melasma too (despite never being pregnant) and sorted it with IPL which was slow but did avoid the flakey look!

Vicki said...

That's funny! The story that is =). The top is very nice and I like the skirt too...in the next post.