Good morning kittens!
Yep, I'm caffeinatin' and ruminatin', so bear with me. I also heard tell that it annoys the hell out of one person when I use the word "kittens" so here it is. Kittens kittens kittens! Oh, I am so evil. Bad Ann. But I'm in a mischievous mood today, and really, there is no harm in an affectionate moniker for readers, and it is affectionate. So there you go.
On to the matter at hand. I've been having a lively and fun email discussion with some sewing friends about pattern instructions. We've all been frustrated recently by instructions that have left something to be desired. So I got thinking; why is it so hard to write good pattern instructions? It's not any one company, either. It seems to be an area of pain for everyone, large or small. I recently made a dress from a Big Four pattern company whose instructions were so frustrating that, after finishing the dress, I tore them to shreds and stuffed them into the trash. On a public forum, one pattern company took such a thorough drubbing about their instructions that the whole thread had to be shut down. In another garment I made recently, I took one look at the instructions, started to go slightly cross eyed, then tossed them aside and made it my own way.
Anyone who has experience as a technical writer will tell you that writing instructions is not easy, and it takes a completely different skill set to write instructions than it does to design and create a pattern. I used to work for a company called Information Mapping that sold a whole lot of consulting and books on how to document things and write instructions. They made a lot of money teaching engineers how to document their work and transfer their knowledge.
Part, but not all, of the problem is that some of the pattern companies act more like printing companies. I once asked the head of development for a very large pattern company why their patterns didn't have more tips for users in them. I was comparing their patterns which had "tips for sewing success" to another pattern line, which I consider the gold standard for in-depth instructions. The answer was, "Our pattern instruction sheets are 4 pages. Period. They will never be more than that." The gold standard had something like 12 pages of instructions.
Another problem is that sewing is very visual. Traditional patterns have line drawings which are helpful to an extent, but in some cases are useless or even unintentionally misleading. Certain things that require three dimensional construction and visualization can't be drawn clearly in two dimensions.
One proposed solution in my email group was for pattern companies to just eliminate instructions altogether. Of course, the problem with that is two-fold: first, it would discourage many beginning sewists. Second, instructions are an integral selling point to patterns. I know of one company that doesn't print any instructions, and they are a niche player because of it. Their patterns are among the highest fashion and best drafted out there. But the lack of instructions is an immediate turn-off to some sewists.
So what's the solution? It could be any number of things. I think pattern manufacturing needs to evolve from prior-century printed material to a multi-media approach. YouTube, blogs and the internet have been a boon that sewing companies can exploit. Color photography of individual steps is very helpful and an improvement over line drawings. And you can put color photos on the web at minimal cost compared with printing. Online video is another great tool. There are lots of great videos out there that show how-tos. And the beauty of videos is that they demonstrate the process, not just individual images of individual steps. Can pattern companies do this for every pattern? Probably not immediately, but eventually perhaps.
Before I close out, I just want to make one point (and please don't think I'm scolding - I'm not). Notice that I haven't used any names. Please don't use this post as a place to air dissatisfaction with any particular companies. I won't publish comments that do.
So how do you think pattern companies could improve their instructions?
Happy sewing!
Okay, I'll name one name. The gold standard to me is Claire Shaeffer's patterns for Vogue patterns. I may not always go for her styles, but her instructions are absolutely the best out there, and I buy all her patterns just so I can study them. They are a class in an envelope.
1 week ago
41 comments:
One tool pattern companies could use is the internet. Jalie offers their instructions in pdf format online. I love this. It allows you to print the instructions on 8.5 x 11 for convenience. Pattern companies might consider having a more lengthy set of instructions available online. It could be a low cost, efficient way to get more information to customers.
I think more/better diagrams are the key. I recently used a pattern for pajama pants (easy peasy, right?) for a Girl Scout troop. The pattern instructions were so poor I kept sewing them upside down & backwards. Sooo frustrating! I would have been better off chucking the instructions and just using common sense (which is what I ended up doing!) In this case, diagrams would have worked better than "Sew A to B along curve" I think pattern companies believe "Easy" patterns should have few instructions because it's so "Easy". I would love diagrams that show each pattern piece with a different shading or hatching and that show how the pieces look when putting them in the sewing machine. Also, maybe the pattern companies could have one "standard" set of glossary terms put into every pattern separately, therefore leaving more room for instructions (ahem, diagrams) on the sheets. Oh, and yes, use the internet! Something like "video how-to can be found on our web site".
Well, I usually give the instructions a once over and then do my own thing - if the pattern has any or any in a language I can read.
I think you're right when you say that pattern companies need to explore other media to transmit instructional information. One of our newer independent pattern companies, Hot Patterns, has dones some Youtube, and from what I see and read, they're great and have been received positively. As an educator, I know that people learn in different ways. I would think that doing a series of videos for each step - such as setting in a sleeve or putting in a zipper would be a benefit. They use the same old pictures over and over, a video would be no different. If you're inserting an invisible zipper, most people follow the same general steps, with a few variations to basting, finishing, etc. Of course producing such a thing would take time and effort and it much easier just to continue printing out the patterns as is.
Love the idea of going online with instructions. But I've never been real concerned with the instructions. If I didn't like the way they did something, I'd find another way to do it. Until I became active in the online sewing communities, I never even thought about whether the instructions were good or bad.
I'd love to know which company is the "gold standard" company...would you share? I'm new to sewing and good instructions are a blessing :)
At least one of the Big Four has detailed lessons on its site. It would be easy for the instructions to state the existence of those lessons and give the url -- which would also drive customers to the site. dumb of them not to, really.
I love what HotPatterns has done with YouTube, and it has encouraged me to sew some of the featured patterns, plus make me want to buy the promised DVD on pants. In other words it has made me feel personally connected to that company.
Also I think Burda has been very canny with BurdaStyle, which combines tutorials from staff as well as its international users, offers a glossary and has only now started charging for its own downloadable patterns.
by the way, i like it when you call me a kitten. but only you! after the coat you showed us yesterday, you can call me anything you like.
Verrrry interesting, Kitten*!!
I often wonder why I'm so instruction-dependent! I'm sure I've set in thousands of sleeves. Yet I always read the instructions before I set in the next sleeve. I'd like to see instructions on CD-ROMs that include videos and pdf files for printing. Instructions on CD might encourage more teens and twenty-somethings to sew. I know the production of such videos might be cost prohibitive. The CDs themselves are cheap enough, but I would expect good production, like close-up photography and a personable demonstrator. That would cost money.
I've considered buying Clair Shaeffer's Vogue patterns just for her instructions. Like Jenadina, I'm also curious about the "gold standard" instructions. If you're not free to divulge it in this forum, can you e-mail the information?
* I'd rather be a "kitten" than an "old cat" – or the canine equivalent!!!
I think your suggestion is spot on. Putting extensive directions online as PDFs, using video, detailed photos. These are all things that the sewing community is providing. But, it would be nice to see it from the company.
I'd rather see pattern companies put out fewer patterns in exchange for more thorough instructions both for the benefit of new sewers and for those who rely on instructions. But what I really want is more quality control and testing of the instructions and pattern before they're published. Frequent mistakes make me dubious of anything put out by the pattern company. I know the value of documentation and procedures - I've written hundreds of procedures to operate spacecraft. One mistake can potentially cost millions of dollars. While pattern making isn't rocket science, it is business. I don't want to waste my time and fabric on a bad pattern.
I sew a lot from pattern magazines and they either have sparse instructions or they're in a language other than English. I've learned to rely on books, make samples, and trust my instincts...and the pattern drafting.
Funny...your post took me back a long ways to a high school English class that I had. As part of a writing exercise the teacher had us write the instructions on how to make a peanut butter sandwich. He picked out a half dozen of the assignments and followed the directions exactly as written in front of the class. It was rather eye opening to see how differently everyone described what seemed like should be a very basic process. (And also how many important steps were not written in.)
I would say that the most successful patterns (for me) have been the one with clear pictures/drawings. My most successful garments to date have largely been made from Japanese pattern books. Now mind you, I don't speak/read a word of Japanese but the instructions are often so clear from the pictures that I rarely run into problems. On the other hand, I speak fluent English but have had near nervous breakdowns trying to break down some of the pattern instructions I've seen with the Big 4 companies. Ack!!
Amen Brother...err...is that kitten?! Oh well...I recently trekked into the land of Thai Fisherman pants and downloaded the pattern from burdastyle.com which is full of creative ideas - usually. Well, the pattern instructions were so !@#$%^!$-ed up that I had to make them twice - I have NEVER done this -even when I was learning to sew. Usually I just put a garment together (even some weird Miyake patterns) w/o instructions. The TP instructions were, at best, mystifying and really just not pertinent, they were so poorly written. I had to completely redo the instructions which got me into that "now how would I explain this?" mode. (I have the new instructions linked to my name here on this blog). So I understand your frustration, but more importantly, if I can't make sense of these instructions what is the novice going to do - and what's next?....the novice sometimes even gives up sewing altogether thinking that sewing is some equivalent of a doctorate of advanced molecular quantum physics from MIT or sumptin' like dat!!!!
I feel your pain!!!!
I have a radical suggestion for testing pattern instructions before issuing the pattern: Have someone use them exactly as written and provide feedback. This would be a regular sewist, not one of the pattern company pros. I would do it in a NY minute.
Another suggestion: Have the person making up the sample or however they do it DICTATE every step they take while they put the garment together. There are dictation gadgets out there which plug into a USB port and download the recorded voice into a Word document. A writer could clean it up, and the directions would be at least complete.
I also think a basic DVD of construction techniques - free with your first pattern order - would be a great idea. The instructions in the pattern could be drastically reduced (saving paper). "Set in the sleeves." A person could then use the DVD to look up Sleeves, Setting in and review the 3 or 6 methods for doing so, and make up her/his own mind about how exactly to do it.
I agree about the Vogue CS patterns. Her instructions are excellent.
I echo all of your sentiments... with one add-on. The short-cuts/ill-finished details drive me crazy. I just made a shirt for my 5yo DD that called for a back zipper. Seriously? I re-worked it with a front closure because a) she likes to dress herself and b) back zippers are itchy, and it's a cotton shirt? Ever buy a girls' RTW shirt with a back zipper in it???
This is so timely. I am making a sweater jacket, the company will remain nameless, that had me puzzled on how to apply the pockets. I think that the diagrams were quite confusing and I'd have been better off without them. What made it even more difficult was the lack of match points. It went together well finally, but I really had to think about it.
I am a pretty experienced sewer and if I find the directions poor, what about the beginner?
I agree that it's time for the pattern companies to enter the internet age and use it to make better visuals available.
But, the instructions will still be poor if the same people are writing them. I have bought Claire Schaeffer's patterns just for the instructions and her standards are just not met by very many others. One of the companies had ridiculous cutesy 'tips' with drawings of the designers that were useless. I remember making Vogue designer patterns that had terrific instructions for complicated things. They also had more than 4 pages.
Speaking as a beginner sewist, I know how very well how frustrating pattern instructions can be. I think it's the main reason I am not progressing as fast I should. In a sewing class, after a visual demonstration, I just race along. But with written instructions, I am stymied every step of the way. I totally understand that it's hard to write good instructions, but maybe they should hire people who can. Or better yet, maybe that's a new career out there for people. Hmmm.... That might be kind of cool if you have sewing experience and can write well. Anybody game???
Hello Kitten ;>
I definitely believe the pattern companies could increase the number of instruction pages via the internet. Even if they provided the same standard 4 page instruction sheet with the pattern, they could list the website for more detailed instructions. As a visual learner, I'm all for color pictures, videos, cds, 3-d holographs (yeah I know it's not readily available yet but it's coming). Now, as a former product manager, I have to tell you that a certain amount of error is to expected in a new product. Some companies/industries have a higher rate of error than others. From a business stand point, these rotten instructions haven't really hurt sales enough for pattern companies to change them. (Don't shoot the messenger please because I hate rotten instructions too). I wonder how many people actually complain to the company when instructions are bad? I will complain to my sewing buddies but not to the pattern company. I might need to change that.
CarlaF-in Atlanta
I actually write technical manuals in my nonsewing life, and I agree that the instructions in many patterns leave a lot to be desired. I get confused sometimes and I have been sewing for years.I love the idea of online instructions, basic videos and other new media tools. If the companies want to survive, they will have to adapt.
I constantly see instructions that call for unnecessary hand sewing when there is an easier machine way, obsolete interfacing instructions and no guidance at all about understitching, hemming, button holes etc.
A technical writer can be a whiz at writing instructions but if they have limited or no knowledge of sewing, confusion and nonsense result. Good intentions do not necessarily yield clear writing.
I had one Big 4 pattern from at least 15 years ago that made a reference to the top of a unit, the drawing showed something else, and there was no single unit involved in this step but several sewn together. Confusing to say the least, these were worthless instructions. I figured it out, no thanks to the writer.
I would love online instructions for those times when I really need them. I would also love for the pattern instructions to be tested as suggested in another post.
Okay. First of all, "kittens" is annoying? I must say, anyone who is annoyed by the term "kittens" needs to get a life. I guess some women would not want to be called a "chick", however, I find the term endearing. After all, it's my husband's pet name for me with preceding different adjectives from time to time--some good, some not so good ;) . Ah...there are better things to do with one's time than worry about how to be addressed. Heck, I'll even respond to, "Hey you!"
On to pattern instructions, I don't care if I get shitty pattern instructions on my $1 or $2 Big 4 patterns. Those are such a steal that it's easy to put up with crap. The thing is, I find they're *usually* pretty good. However...independents don't really have the luxury to go down that low on a pattern price. Understandable. But when I'm paying $12 or more, I expect GOOD stuff. Pics, top-notch instructions, and there are really no excuses. Especially with the Internet. I mean, there are "testers" galore in cyber world that would love to help out independents, especially if it meant they could test it out for free. It would benefit both sides--the customer getting a free pattern, the company getting good critiques. It doesn't take many testers, maybe 10 people. A good sampling of skill levels would really help identify problematic instruction areas. My issue lies with pattern piece or pattern instruction errors, more so than simply crappy instructions. Errors on expensive patterns are inexcusable. Yeah, one could say that's what a muslin is for, but not all of us make muslins on our garments. Cutting into expensive fabric and using an expensive pattern only to find an error...well, that hurts. A lot.
Here's another idea. If some pattern companies won't go over 4 pages, how about 4 pages with a page on the companies websites with extra info for each particular pattern. This wouldn't up the pattern cost, and merely typing it on the main website would not only enhance the paper instructions, but bring more customers to the website. It's simply good marketing both ways. It's extremely cost effective and would enhance a company's image.
I simply can't help but think that one of the testers themselves might even be able to write solid, detailed instructions that could be additionally posted on the website as an addendum to the pattern envelope instructions. I'm sure a lot of people would gladly do this for a free pattern.
Meow!
I totally agree with the above comments. Patterns are drafted incorrectly. Instructions are minimal, at best, and sometimes incorrect. I would like to know who test-drives the patterns and how they get to print with inaccuracies.
I have contacted pattern companies on many occasions, telling them of errors in the pattern. I have yet to be acknowledged by any of them.
I am a very visual person and I benefit most from "picture" instructions. J. Stern did a great on-line tutorial for her top, but I can't imagine this type of instruction would be economical for a pattern company to do for each pattern. The Big 4 should, however, invest in updating their instructions - at the very least get rid of all those knit facings, and add more pictures/illustrations and less words.
mrowrrr!
My level of expertise is such that for most things I'll read through the instructions and then let the cat sleep on them, but when there's something beyond the basic "set in the sleeve," or when I'm trying something new, I really need good instructions, and there are two things patterns have done with their instructions lately taht have made me want to set them on fire and then stomp on them.
The best I can describe it is, they make me long for the terse, but loaded-with-content, style of Burda magazine, where if you read slowly and carefully enough times, you'll get it although your eyeballs may bleed.
The offendses are:
1. The embedded sales pitch: "You'll love my technique for doing _______" Shut up and tell me what to do already.
2. Information-free chattiness: "The sleeve cap has an average amount of ease." How about a blinkin' number, now that you've brought it up?
rant, rant, rant...
Firstly, PLEASE call me Kitten. (It beats the heck out of Haggard Old Bag, which is currently a whole lot more accurate!)
Tis post really got me thinking about instructions. I've been sewing long enough, using magazine patterns long enough, and winging it long enough that dodgy instructions don't usually cause me a lot of problems. I can think of only one instance where I really got stuck and had to post online for some enlightenment. (That was an Issey Miyake jacket and the bit I got stuck on wasn't the origami folding section!)
So my thoughts are sort of selfish - if more people are attracted to sewing and find it satisfying with successful results, there will be more demand and hopefully more patterns, fabric and such available. I love the ideas of online videos or extra instructions being available for those who want them. I'd use them myself, because you never know where you'll find a better way of doing something you've been doing for 20 years.
There is a reason why the Big Four (actually, only Two) doesn't respond to criticisms about pattern instructions: patterns are not their main business. The dirty little secret is that their actual business is printing. Yes, that's right. Printing. Patterns are a sideline, at this point.
At least 15 years ago the pattern companies stopped hiring people who know what they're doing in favor of people who can do clerical stuff. That's an oversimplification, but not by much. I was told in 1994 that pattern instructions are created by inserting boilerplate modules into the sheets. So if there is a lapped zipper, that module gets inserted; if there is a lapel collar, that module, and so on. Sometimes you find an instruction sheet with parts left out altogether. And as a sewing teacher I noticed a long time ago that every single waistband pattern was wrong. (Did you also notice, or did you just think you were gaining sneak weight?) I had students bring patterns to me that showed a center back zipper, but the pieces were of a center front zipper, and we had missing facings, etc. I once made up a Vogue designer blouse without checking anything (I was in a hurry), foolishly trusting the pattern. The sleeve was so narrow that I couldn't even get my arm in. When I mentioned it to the then vice president, he said they "never had trouble with that designer", and he walked away from me. Thanks.
Having used patterndrafting software now for about 7 years, I found that even though I thought I needed instruction sheets, experience counts, and we really probably don't. Unless there is a particular detail or style that is new to you, you are more likely to figure it out on your own.
I wanna be a Kitten too! I don't use directions mainly because (and this goes especially for the Big Boys) they use such dorky Becky Home-Ecky techniques. So, as a beginner you learn those techniques and then have to spend more time learning better methods! If I have a technical drawing and the proper markings then that's all I need. I learn by doing, not by reading, so I wouldn't miss the instructions at all.
As several have mentioned, my issue is testing. From the instuctions in the Big Four, I doubt than any testing is done at all. Nearly every pattern I make has me sitting there shaking my head and wondering how I can offer my services. How can this art survive with new entrants having such a hard time just understanding a basic pattern?
The thoughts on online instructions are fabulous. How about printing off this post and its comments and sending it to the Big Four? I think I might do that. I have communicated with them before but with no response. Not my idea of how to do business.
For me, the golden standard is Australian Smocking and Embroidery patterns. They are incredibley clear, logical, beautifully sequence, and very clearly illustrated. One thing they do is have a set of general instructions, how to do their linings, how to pipe a collar, how to set in a sleeve, etc. Then each particular design has its own instructions with referrals back to the general instructions. These dont' have that jumping all over feel that the Big Four have. This company could teach the others a lot.
Thanks Ann (or is that mummy puss?). This kitten was listening and I think videos would be great! They would not have to do a complete one for each pattern but have a standard set and then a pattern specific one for the unusual bits.
You can call me kitten anytime! I hope when you rip these instruction sheets to shreads that you recycle them. :)
I have been sewing so long that in theory I should not need instructions but I admit to using them. The dress I am currently making has a collar assembly that turned out to be impossible to do. It is a Big 4 company and testing would have shown it was impossible. I ended up doing the collar again, my way and it worked great.
So if pattern companies are now really printing companies then they are not doing that very well either. I have had two recent students, buy patterns from different companies that were so faded as to be illegible. That is a big problem for beginning students.
This topic brings to my mind the issue of open source information borne of the internet age. Yes, I agree the pattern companies are obligated to provide clear, thorough instructions (whether in print or online using multi-media). However, all you wonderful people who share your expertise on blogs and fantastic sites like Pattern Review enlighten the process like no technical writing could. All sorts of brains interpret the same instructions all sorts of different ways, so when the "official" instructions have you puzzled, you find a home sewist's description on her blog or on PR, and the light bulb goes on. I'm not excusing bad instructions or mistakes, but I just think this communal approach that is the internet is a godsend.
What annoys me about the Big4's poor pattern instructions is that once upon a time,they printed thorough and wonderfully informative instructions on less paper than they use now! Ummmm, don't these companies have archives? Can't they retrieve some of that amazing information and incorporate it into today's patterns? There is no reason that I should have to buy the actual vintage pattern to get the better instructions on a vintage pattern reissue!
The online instructions is a great idea but I can hear them in a planning meeting - what happens to the person who doesn't go online? How much of a percentage is that? How much business could we possibly lose?
I'm holding my breathe on that one...*sigh*
Can I just say "amen!"
I just finished teaching a friend to sew by pattern and am in the midst of teaching DH and in both cases one of the key lessons was to not take the instructions too seriously but figure out the end goal and see how to get there from here with the pattern. Both were less than thrilled that they couldn't fully trust what was written. In the first case a pattern marketed for beginners was missing a rather important step and had multiple steps bundled into each numbered step. This was very difficult for learner as she wanted to take it step by step but was, instead, taking half-steps and trying to re-find her place in the block of text of each instruction.
In DH's case he picked a difficult pattern that's in a wardrobe of difficult patterns so the instructions are insanely sparse. My German Burda (and I don't speak German) was less difficult to decipher. DH is making it through, with help, but even I managed to completely mess up one part because I was following the instructions rather than my common sense. Lesson learned.
I do realize that pattern instructions are difficult to write - I've tried it myself and it's not as easy as it seems! I hadn't heard the page limit before but that would just make it all the harder. Even so, I'd adore it if the pattern companies could jump on board this new technology and give us some great online help.
Of course, I'm asking that of companies that haven't yet added serging instructions to their knit patterns ...
I am offended by pattern companies that suggest you make a muslin first to test the fit of a pattern when it seems as if they have not done the same testing of their own patterns to check for missing notches, names of pieces and how many of each to cut. This is workable if you have a good idea of how something goes together, but not so good when the design incorporates unusual details or inset pieces, for example. It just shows a lack of respect for the consumer who has chosen to support (and pay a premium for) independent pattern companies.
It would be a big step forward for some companies just to establish some consistency in their instructions. I can pick up five similar jacket patterns from some of companies, and find five different ways to install a lining. Then it would help to update some of the techniques--some of them seem to be cut-and-pasted legacies of decades past. Slip-stitch the facing to the zipper, anyone? I am a tech writer by profession, and the weird pistache of information we get baffles me.
So, I ideally I think the instructions should be cleaned up and streamlined, with consistent techniques implemented. You know, standardization. :) There, that's the word I wanted. once the instructions are standardized it would be cool to have videos, pdf, etc. *Kwik Sew is the only company I can think of that comes close to a standardize approach to instructions.
I'm French. I learnt sewing with Burda, and could follow the instructions with my eyes shut. Then I took a sewing break of about 10 years and started again this year. I don't understand all the Burda instructions now. It is not that bad as their patterns involve basic techniques (in other words, those I learnt as a kid). With Internet and blogs, I've discovered US patterns. They write their instructions in French and English. I just don't understand the French instructions, maybe because they don't include the drawings, and the translations are not the best, even if they are not wrong. I recently made a pants with fly. Never have done one before. I was really scared. I just followed the English instructions, and it worked perfectly! I'm still smiling :-) but I have been struggling with instructions on other patterns.
As a technical writer myself, I know writing instructions is not easy. When I read what I've written in the past, I sometimes can't understand myself :-( unless I'm manipulating at the same time, or I see the pictures. I'd say that the instructions should be written by a specialist, then tested by a beginner. And when I write instructions, I always add a lot of pictures to make the understanding easier.
For now, the kitten must go back to work.
More access to quality sewing classes might alleviate some of the frustration I see in sewing forums when it comes to instructions. Let’s face it: pattern companies are in the business of selling patterns not teaching sewing. Also, frankly, 90% of garments are all made the same way; sleeves are set a certain way, and once you learn how to do that well instructions are pretty much moot. I think a lot of the frustration for beginner and intermediate sewers lies in the fact that many of them are self taught; and if you rely solely on pattern instructions for learning how to sew you'll really never develop true skill. Sewing is like tennis and golf; sure you can learn it without lessons, but you'll also learn bad habits, and bad habits are really hard to break. Good sewing instruction need to be part of this solution.
I haven't any ideas about the instructions. I just had to comment though.
Gerbil, Gerbil, Gerbil.
Jan
As a beginning sewist, and one for whom half the fun of any endeavor is figuring out how to do it, I personally don't care that much about instructions per se, esp. b/c there are so many great sewing resources out there - as long as I know what I'm getting.
here's what I care about:
1. NO mistakes on patterns, and absolute clarity in any instructions they do have. I'd rather have no instructions or sparse instructions (like "attach cuff") than confusing or wrong ones (like something that seems to give me all the cuff-attaching details but leaves one or more steps out). this is especially important for beginners because I doubt I would notice if pattern pieces were missing or inverted the way some experienced sewists would.
2. Consistency in depth of instructions from one pattern from a specific company to the next -- so when deciding what pattern to buy I expect to know , "oh, company A always has great instructions, therefore I won't need to research how to do that," or "company B instructions suck, so I'm going to have to figure out how to do that by myself." I want to know what to expect when I plop down my $1 or $12 or $20. Instructions can get better, but not worse.
3. Clear detailed instructions for unusual design details specific to that pattern, or a warning that this is a very advanced pattern. So if it's just basically a plain old shirt, i can find how to insert a collar or cuffs on the internet, but if there's an unusual ruffle or gathering detail, I want the company to tell me what to do because it's unlikely I can find those instructions online.
4. Line drawings and measurements that match the patterns. I think pattern companies are doing some version of vanity sizing these days by including way too much ease and sometimes even not having accurate reports of the finished measurements. I sew so I can get a great fit that I can't get in RTW! Pattern companies should do everything to help me with that.
My four cents. Meow!
Visual learner here..intemediate level probably best describes me. Usually go over instructions and then do my own thing...other methods I've learned to better finish etc.
However,
I can vouch for that certain Indie company that has recently put up Youtubes....
I was trying to make a certain shirt with front placket and despite my best attempts to understand the written instructions, I was a bit baffled at the attachment and cutting of the front parts.
Watching the video was a godsend....it all made sense to see it in 3-D...results, shirt sewn up to many compliments.
Thank you indie pattern company that will remain nameless.
Meow.
Call me kitten! Mew!
I don't depend on pattern instructions for more than a quick reference, so they don't really bother me. Of course, I also have a lot of reference materials that I can and do use.
I only ever want to be called "kitten"!!
Kitten, Kitty, Fluffy, Furball, Princess, call me whatever you like, I'm still me. :)
This is great! I have just been SO frustrated by pattern instructions that I stopped construction completely and took a long break. I've been sewing for over 20yrs., I don't know why I even try to depend on these instructions. I always do a once-over of each pattern instruction sheet and then do what works for me. Why these recent instructions frustrated me so much I don't know. I may also try a Claire Shaeffer pattern just to see what good instructions are like.
I just typed "instructions" five (six) times in one post. I'm sick of instructions. (7)
Post a Comment