Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pattern Review - Jalie 2910 Faux Wrap Top


While I wait to get my Marfys, I decided to make a top from one of Jalie's new patterns. I bought all four when they became available last month.

Pattern Description: From Jalie's website, "Women's knit tops with forward shoulder seam, banded surplice neckline, sleeveless or with three-quarter sleeve. View A has a neckband that goes all around. View B has a mandarin collar and banded front neckline." I made the sleeveless version of View A.

Sizing: Every last one. I made a V

Fabric Used: Cotton blend jersey that I bought when I was in New York last. I used Wide Silk Jersey in Tangerine for the contrast neckband.

Needle/Notions Used: Stretch needle 75/11. Tricot knit interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply to stabilize the shoulders, Steam-a-Seam (yes Karla, Steam-a-Seam) on the front only, Mettler thread.

Did it look like the photo or drawing when you got through? Yes. One thing to note about this pattern is that it is LONG. I hemmed it the recommended 3/4", and it is down below my hips. I'm not especially shortwaisted, but I'm not longwaisted by any means. I think I'll take about 2 inches off and re-hem.

How were the instructions? I took a cursory look but I really didn't need them. this is a very well drafted pattern, and it goes together beautifully. The instructions are quite adequate if you do use them.

Construction Notes: My kids were playing with my camera and set it to manual focus, and I didn't realize it until too late, so I didn't get a picture of how I used Steam-a-Seam. The front has two identical pieces overlaid on one another. You then turn the hems together and stitch them as one. To keep them from shifting, I used Steam-a-Seam between the two layers. After applying it, they were a cinch to turn and sew as one. I also used 3/8" strips of interfacing in the shoulder seams of the back to stabilize them.

One thing to note about this top is that it's clearly drafted as a sleeved top. You use the same pieces for both the sleeved and the sleeveless versions. As with other tops that are drafted this way, I found that if you make the sleeveless version and you have any bit of a bust, you must add a bust dart. I didn't need a FBA, and I suspect if I had made up the sleeves the problem would not be so obvious. But without the sleeves, there is a gap at the front of the armhole. A dart took care of it, and I'll adjust the pattern to remove the excess for future versions.

Any changes? Just those noted above

Likes/Dislikes: I like the wrap effect. It's a cute pattern that will be great for summer. The only thing I don't really like is the length, and that's easy to fix.

Would you do it again? Would you recommend it? Yes and yes!

Conclusion: A great basic top that will be a staple in my wardrobe, I'm sure! Here's a picture on Shelley.


BTW, you'll notice my wrap overlay goes from the left shoulder to the right hip. Yeah - that was intentional. Riiiiight...
Happy sewing!

22 comments:

Ann Made Studio said...

That's a wonderful print for this top. It looks great.
It definitely does look much longer than the pictures on the pattern envelope! Luckily as you say that's easy to fix :)

Myra said...

I like it alot. A good color for you.

Little Hunting Creek said...

Cute!!! They have the best knit patterns at Jalie. I love the colors too

gwensews said...

This would look wonderful with white pants for summer. Very nice.

Karla said...

Steam-a-Seam is great stuff and I'm glad to know that you use it like mere mortals do. The finished top is great and Jalie will owe you a commission when I order. Probably lots of them...

Anonymous said...

Wow, how pretty! Can you show us another picture when you've re-hemmed it? Preferably with you in it?

Bunny said...

Pucci revisited! I love it.

Nancy in A2 said...

Your top looks so good.

Meg said...

Loving it. I want to look as cute in my Jalies as the brunette model does.

Judy Ross said...

Funny how often my tops overlap the "wrong" way. I always tell myself that I meant to do it that way!

Love this one, and I vote for a pic on you too please :-)

stacysews said...

I love it! The fabric is perfect for spring too!

Dawn said...

Very nice fabric. Yea, Jalie rocks. I love how your dart looks like it was meant to be there. It made your graphic smaller but doesn't change the overall look, kwim?

neighbourhood.gal said...

Very nice. I have been thinking of purchasing that pattern myself...

AuntieAllyn said...

Too cute! I think this will be my first Jalie pattern purchase (I'm such a sucker for anything "wrap"). I chuckled at your "modification" of the wrap (from left to right instead of right to left) . . . I switched the "wrap" when I made the dreaded and feared Donna Karan Vogue dress . . . had a b*tch of time fixing that one!

Gigi said...

Beautiful, Ann!

Pam Erny said...

Ann...what a chic top...Love it !

Brooke said...

I find the Jalie shirts tend to run long in general, which I like for dancing! I always forget and add extra length like I do for the big four and then have to take it off....

Beth Conky said...

I've got that pattern. I want to make up for my daughter in law. I'm hoping it will work as a nursing top. We'll see. If you look at the pattern front the little girls pattern is wrapped like yours.

Linda T said...

That is such a cute top! I will be buying this pattern. I do have a question...the V looks longer/deeper on the pattern than it looks in your version. Did you shorten the V a bit?

ClaireOKC said...

This fabric is so yummy - but I love these colors!

Linda L said...

Orange is my red! Love this fabric.

Laura said...

I'm new to reading your blog - Love it! And really really late on commenting on this one... but I can't help myself. Just to let you know, my daughter has studied all things Japanese thanks to an awesome High School teacher, and according to her, your wrap overlay is right, the rest of American Society is wrong, and she is constantly telling me how this drives her crazy. Apparently, if you cross it the other way (in a Kimono, in Japan), it means you are dead. So you should wear the top in confidence that it is right, and you meant it to be that way. :)