Monday, April 20, 2009

Weekend Recap and an Expo Lament


I hope you all had a great weekend! I didn't get any sewing done, because I spent Saturday working as an Ambassador at the Sewing and Craft Expo in Worcester, MA. Then Sunday we decided to take the kids to Newport RI and spend the day.

I have to tell you, I was really saddened by the state of the Sewing and Craft Expo. Considering that sewing seems to be undergoing a resurgence, it was so disappointing to see what is going on at the Expo. Mind you, I only had a day there, so perhaps there were things that I missed, but I don't think so. There were far fewer vendors there this year than in years past. And there was a lot of non-sewing stuff (massagers, basement finishing). On the plus side, I did get to meet Jennifer Stern of J. Stern Designs. She is delightful, and she gave me a gift of her latest patterns. I'll be reviewing them (with all appropriate disclaimers) soon, I hope.

I was the ambassador, which translates roughly into "ticket taker and classroom assistant" for three classes. One class was taught by Peggy Sagers. I love Peggy. She's no-nonsense, opinionated and outspoken. Hmmmm - who does she remind me of? Her class was about debunking common sewing myths. While I didn't agree with everything she said, I certainly agreed with most of it.

The other two classes were more craft oriented. Anyone who knows me knows that I tend to cast a gimlet eye at "craft" and many of the purveyors thereof. So it was an interesting lesson in self-restraint to sit through these classes. One was about machine embroidery. I know many of you love it, but I find machine embroidery to be a complete waste of thread. Sorry. That's how I feel. The other class was about easy embellishment techniques. Okay - "easy" and "embellishment techniques" do not belong in the same sentence in my universe. If you are going to embellish something, it should be spectacular. Needle felting, fabric paints and cutesy appliqué? Sorry, not my bag. Don't get offended. I'm just saying it isn't for me. I feel the same way about free jazz, NASCAR and body piercings. I'd never tell someone else not to partake, but I school my facial expressions to keep them very bland, and make my grocery list in my head the entire time.

What I did enjoy about these classes was the unbridled enthusiasm of both the instructors. They brought the same sense of joy to their seminars that I try to bring to my garment sewing classes. And that's what you're paying for, right? The expertise and enthusiasm of the teacher. That was what kept me from running screaming from the room when they pulled out the refashioned, embroidered sweatshirts. Those have no place in ANY universe. Ever.

Sunday was fun. We packed the kids up early and headed to Newport, RI to spend the day. If you haven't been to Newport and get the chance, I really recommend it. At the turn of the last century, it was the summer playground for the robber barons and New York society. My sons had never been there. We wanted to go to see the Doris Duke exhibit, Shop Like an Heiress at Rough Point, her Newport estate. Unfortunately, the estate was closed for a private event, so we went to Rosecliff instead. Rosecliff is most famous for being used as a setting for the 1974 Robert Redford film, "The Great Gatsby". It was simply stunning. I had been there as a kid, but not in recent years. We picked a lovely day to visit. After taking the tour of the mansion, we went walking along the Cliff Walk, then headed into town for lunch and puttering about. Newport is built on a beautiful sheltered harbor, and the weather was warm enough that we didn't need our jackets. On the way home, we stopped for dinner at Phyllis' house. Most excellent salmon, Phyllis!

All in all, it was a lovely weekend. I'm waiting for my Marfys, so I am going to start working on the new Jalie Faux Wrap Top. It's all cut out. I'll review it once I have it finished.

Parting Shot: The boys and me at Rosecliff. I think it's time to change my hair color. Stay tuned for that one...

Oh and see the handbag? It's an Emmett McCarthy.

Happy sewing!

19 comments:

Jazzy Jemz said...

Im sorry you were disappointed by the expo but it still sounds like you had a fun weekend!

Meg said...

Newport is especially worthwhile at Christmas time. The houses are decorated for the holidays and they have lots of special events going on. We spent a couple days there two years ago and the four of us had a great time.

wendy said...

Oh gosh, I LOVE the cliffwalk. My boyfriend and I have been to Newport so many times, and it never gets old. Such a beautiful view!

meredithp said...

Did Jennifer Stern happen to mention when the rest of her patterns would be available. "Debuting at the expo" so it must be any time now.

Linda T said...

That Faux Wrap Top looks good. I have added it to my list of patterns to order.

I have never been to New England but I seem to have a romantacized image of it and this photo just adds to that. Looks like a fun place to visit.

Barbara Deane's Sewing Studio said...

Were you just disappointed with the classes or did you not enjoy the whole experience? I did get to visit with Jennifer Stern myself. I have had the pleasure of sewing with Jennifer, she is truly a pleasure. Just go easy on the regular coffee:) Just kidding Jen! I have been waiting a whole year for her women's jeans pattern and I finally have it in my hot little hands. Any recommendations for denim Ann?

Unknown said...

I know what you mean... I hate paying for a class that ends up being nothing like the synopsis from the registration booklet! My machine embroidery is limited to logos for clients and sewing for my kids. I made the mistake of signing up for one of those classes, and when the instructor had the people stand who were wearing something they embroidered, I knew I should be somewhere else...

Dana said...

I totally agree with you about the Expo. I went to one in March about 1/8 of the exhibits were for fashion sewing. The rest was quilting, and quilting, and then a little more quilting with some embroidery thrown in. At least it was all sewing, no basement finishers...this year!

Karen Maslowski said...

To be fair to the teachers at expos, sometimes the show promoters change the descriptions, unilaterally. I used to teach at those shows, and that happened to me way too many times. And with the show season sometimes being very busy, I did not always see the change to my topic. It was really embarrassing, too.

On the other hand, there are teachers whose talks are basically nothing but infomercials. You know who they are. Sometimes it's okay with you because you want to know about their products, and they're the only resource for them. And then there are wonderful teachers who have so much information that you can't write fast enough to get it all down. I've been on both sides of the lectern, and those who imparted the most info are the ones I tried to emulate. Only those who have taken my classes can say if I succeeded or not. :-)

I'm sorry to hear about the Worcester show feeling the effects of the economy. It's very expensive to do those shows (and physically demanding), particularly since most of the exhibitors are individuals, not big corporations with immense budgets (with a few exceptions). I had to make a decision whether to continue to do shows and hope it got better, or just retire. I decided to retire, and I know other teachers who have, as well. Apparently, there aren't so many young people coming behind us to fill in the gaps. That's truly sad.

Bunny said...

Newport is one of my favorite places to visit. In college it was the place to hang out as the naval base was there with about 8 billion men.........did I say that? The mansions are fabulous but one of Newport's great secrets is it's wonderful food. Highly recommend Sala's.

Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said...

Sounds like a typical 'expo' experience. There's always something I can glean from them, but I often have to try hard. Newport - thanks for the idea! I have not been there since 1976, when my parents took us on a family trip. Love the EMC bag!

Tamara said...

When I am able to go to the Expo in Washington I never miss a class by Peggy Sagers. I love her too! I have learned so much from her.

I would love to see RI one day. Although my first goal is NYC. Someday!

ClaireOKC said...

I'm sorry to hear of the condition of the current show in MA. I'm also wondering if more people are turning to the internet for their resources, lessons, fabrics and notions and this is having it's affect on these expos. I'm also hoping that this economy will bring others to into sewing that otherwise wouldn't. Enjoyed your chronicle of the weekend.

Claudine said...

ITA on the machine embroidery. I just don't get it.

Christine said...

I was able to visit the Worcester, MA, Expo on the first day, Thursday. This year one day was all I was able to commit to and I wasn't able to take any classes (I waited too long to sign up and any I was interested in were filled). I had the same evaluation as you did - many fewer exhibitors, too much quilting/embroidery, and what's with the non-related items. In addition to the massagers and the basement finishing there was also the booth with nail files and the hand cream/lotion booth. She insisted that I try her lotion and I immediately had to run to the ladies room to wash my hands as the fragrance was one I absolutely hate (smelled like baby powder). I did take the time to fill out one of the Expo survey forms - if they don't hear from us what we want and what we don't like they won't know what direction to take the event.

I did miss certain exhibitors from past years, Louise Cutting being one.

I exhibit and sell my work at art and craft shows in the northeast and I do know that the promoters of events make a commitment to the facility and renting the spaces is important to their recouping their investment; sometimes they end up compromising the event by allowing work in that realy shouldn't be there. That is probably why there were non-related booths at this Expo. Not that it's right, it just is what it is.

Sewsy said...

"...machine embroidery...a complete waste of thread...needle felting, fabric paints and cutesy applique? Sorry, not my bag. Don't get offended."

My kinda gal!!!

Unknown said...

Ugh, I wanted to go but I was working this weekend. Oh well, maybe next year!

Summerset said...

I agree with you on many of your points!

One of the students I had in my class at MQX mentioned that she had also gone to the Worcester show and said that is it was a lot of quilting/knitting/crafting and not as much sewing. She was a bit disappointed by that.

Unknown said...

I spent Thursday and Friday at the Worcester expo. I also love Peggy Sagers and always try to take all of her classes. I went specifically with a few vendors in mind since this tends to be my one opportunity to stock up on certain supplies. Since everyone was there that I wanted to see, I didn't really notice a lack of vendors. I really loved the ribbons/buttons vendor that was new this year. I did find some of the non-sewing vendors to be very pushy and annoying. Not only do they really have no need to be at the expo, they push their products on you... annoying.