Monday, September 21, 2009

Tip: Cleaning Sewing Rulers


I can't claim credit for this one. Phyllis taught it to me, and it's so brilliant I have to share it. If you're like me and use your rulers for marking, drafting, and tracing, you'll find after a while you'll have all sorts of residual gunk on the edges. I always used window cleaner, but they never came completely clean. Well, instead of that, just use plain old rubbing alcohol. I soak a scrap of muslin with it (you can use cotton balls, but muslin won't leave any lint). Rub it over the edge and it will remove pencil, pen, Sharpie ink, and anything else, leaving you with a clean ruler. Having ruined light colored fabric because I got ruler gunk on it, I've taken this one to heart. Thank you Phyllis!

11 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Wow! Kewl tip! Thanks to both you and Phyllis!

Erica Bunker said...

You must have known I needed to read this right now! Thanks for the tip!

Sherril said...

Great tip. I've never cleaned mine, and they sure need it.

Bunny said...

I'm supposed to be cleaning these things?

Anonymous said...

This is also an optician's trick as well. We used straight rubbing alcohol to remove sharpie, paint, and hairspray from eye glasses! So useful if you are wearing your glasses while painting a ceiling :)

I'm now off to clean my rulers

Linda T said...

Great tip! Thanks Ann and Phyllis!

Rebecca said...

I love this tip - thanks. Mine are covered with red pencil lead.

Leslie V said...

Thanks for the tip, I also keep a bottle in my sewing room for the bottom of my iron, it works wonderful as a clean up for that too!

Kae said...

Thank you for the tip. My daughter recently used rubbing alcohol to remove ink from some scrub pants,(a pen was left in the pocket and washed with the pants and top I had just made!)The alcohol worked great at getting the ink out! Obviously, spot test it on the fabric first. It worked great for us! Kae

phyllis said...

Hey you're tight...muslin is way better! Takes it all off in one pass as opposed to several with a cotton ball.

Linda L said...

Good tip!